Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1988 944 won't start ... Please Help !!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008 | 10:19 PM
Mr_Gm
8th Gear

Question 1988 944 won't start ... Please Help !!!

Hello. This is the first 944 that I have owned. Unfortunately it won't run. It had been sitting for a while when I bought it. Overall in really good shape. 100K miles, automatic, not an S model. The engine turns over, but won't fire up. I sprayed some starter fluid into it and it ran for a brief second, so I thought maybe a fuel pump issue. I listened for the pump to activate when the key is turned on and didn't hear anything coming from it. Today I swapped out the pump with one from another 88. Again, no noise coming from the pump and the engine won't fire up. I keep hearing a clicking/light knocking noise coming from the back of the engine when it's turning over. Not quite sure if it's supposed to do that or if that's any indication as to what the problem may be? I did not check to see if the pump was getting 12 volts, but that's next on my list. The car did have an aftermarket alarm system installed that seems to have a mind of it's own, so I took the fuses out of it to disable. I wonder if the aftermarket alarm has some kind of fuel pump shutoff feature and is not letting it get 12 volts to activate? I also put another DME relay in as well. I heard some talk about crank sensors maybe being the culprit, but then I should still hear the fuel pump activate when I first turn the key on, right? Honestly, I am scratching my head and am looking for any help I can get before spending huge amounts of money on the wrong parts. I really appreciate any feedback . Thanks.
Old 03-31-2008 | 10:39 PM
tod84944
Drifting

The fuel pump only runs when the engine is turning. Being that it ran for a brief second with starter fluid, it is probley the fuel pump. If the crank sensors were bad, it would not have started with the starter fluid. If the car has been sitting for a long time, the fuel pump is probley locked up. I buy non running 944's a lot, and it is very common for the pumps to be locked up due to the fuel.
Old 03-31-2008 | 10:39 PM
mikec944
Instructor

if it has been sitting for a while, it could be as simple as bad gas.
Old 03-31-2008 | 10:49 PM
tod84944
Drifting

Where are you located Mr. GM
Old 03-31-2008 | 11:06 PM
Mr_Gm
8th Gear

I am in Northern Virginia, just outside of DC. I replaced the pump with one from another 944 that a friend of mine ended up parting out. Same year. No luck. Still turns but doesn't fire. I understand that there's a nut that can be taken off the end of the fuel rail to check for pressure. I am going to try to take it off tomorrow and see if the pump is pushing fuel to the engine. If it's not, I'll check to see if the pump is getting power. If it is pushing fuel, then what ??? Do the 944's have any other known problems (ie. injectors, sensors, etc)? If the gas is flat-out old and bad will that cause it not to start at all? ... I would think it would fire up but just run a little rough until new gas was swapped with the old.
Old 03-31-2008 | 11:36 PM
mikec944
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mr_Gm
If the gas is flat-out old and bad will that cause it not to start at all? ... I would think it would fire up but just run a little rough until new gas was swapped with the old.
i have seen a couple of cars that will not start at all with bad gas, but you are correct, sometimes they will just run rough. If you loosen the nut at the fuel rail to check for pressure, get a wiff of the gas too...you'll know if it's gone bad.

your on the right track though. good luck.
Old 04-01-2008 | 12:22 AM
931GT
Instructor

maybe as simple as the DME relay?
Old 04-01-2008 | 12:35 AM
alex
Almost Addicted
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 931GT
maybe as simple as the DME relay?
Thats what I was going to say, but if it ran wouldn't that infer spark which means the DME is working?

Check out the trouble shooting for no start issues at clarks garage.
Old 04-02-2008 | 09:34 PM
Mr_Gm
8th Gear

Well, here's a quick update:

First off, I want to thank everyone for all of their help and advice. I took the plugs out and they looked like they needed changing, so I put new ones in. The cap and rotor look like they could use some updating to a new one, so I have ordered those parts to replace as well. I took the fuel nut off the rail and found to be getting fuel when I crank the engine. Now, after I replaced the plugs, and shot some starter fluid into it, I cranked it and got it to run for a few seconds. Then it died. So I cranked it again (without starter fluid this time) and got it to fire up for a few seconds on its own (after cranking it a few seconds). It automatically dies if I step down on the pedal to give it gas. If I start it and let it idle, it will run at least 5 seconds on its own before spuddering and dying. I can tell that the fuel probably needs to be emptied and refilled in order to keep it running longer than just a few seconds. The only thing that worries me is that I keep hearing a knocking noise coming from the back of the engine when it runs. It almost sounds like it may even be coming from under the car. I can, however, hear the engine purr pretty good underneath the knocking noise, so I am hoping nothing is wrong with the engine itself. Does anyone know what that may be? Has anyone ever had any experience with this type of noise? Thanks again.

Also, I don't know if I mentioned that the car was sitting for almost 2 years undriven. I'm sure this warrants a fuel transplant, but I don't know if it has anything to do with the knocking.

John.

Last edited by Mr_Gm; 04-02-2008 at 09:40 PM. Reason: adding additional information
Old 04-03-2008 | 12:53 PM
Mr_Gm
8th Gear

I've been doing some research on that knocking sound I hear and have found a few articles on the rubber damper. It seems like this is a common problem on older automatic 944's. Does anyone know much about it? I read it was tough to replace. Are there any 'how-to' instructions on its replacement? How can I tell if that is what's making the noise?

Thanks.
Old 04-04-2008 | 01:07 AM
hauser
Track Day

I would also suggest you take out the injectors and send them to witch hunter it'l cost you about 70$
and is well worth it.
Old 04-04-2008 | 11:09 AM
quinnfiske
Pro

You can pump the fuel out the end of the fuel rail if you want. You can make a jumper to put in place of the DME relay and it will run the fuel pump full time. Then you can put some fresh gas in. Clark's again has directions. That guy should get a Nobel Prize or something for his efforts.
Old 04-04-2008 | 11:46 PM
mbonner
Racer

Yes Clark should get a prize. That site has been one huge help time after time to me and stops me having to post here with questions. Thanks. Clark.
Mike
Old 04-24-2008 | 04:55 PM
peanut
Burning Brakes

hey John did you find the problem ?
Old 04-24-2008 | 07:26 PM
dillon410021
Race Car

try flooring it and hit V-TEC

Quick Reply: 1988 944 won't start ... Please Help !!!