Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiring Harness

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 07:56 PM
RobbyK
Pro

Location: The mistake on the lake other wise known as Erie PA
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring Harness

Does anyone here know where I could get a new engine wiring harness? Or if someone on this site makes one? I have not been on the site since I was in high school, and now a college graduate with a job, I finally get to give my baby the care she deserves. Also I am renewing my membership (not free loading lol) just have to set up a paypal account.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:13 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 79 Posts

Check with Sunset Porsche. Call and ask to speak with Jeff Clark, top-notch guy. There are still some years/versions available in Germany, and others are no longer available. I wanted an '87 S and they were not available, but then I realized that the 88 S was almost identical and was able to pick up one of a handful still left. They are expensive, but there was a guy who was going to start building these here two years ago and by the time he found sources for all the connectors etc. the price was pretty similar to OEM. He decided to not go ahead with it as I was the only person willing to make a deposit!!

Another option is Lindsey. They make injector harnesses and speed & reference harnesses which are very nice and can be used to do a "partial" DME harness replacement.

Links:

http://www.sunsetimports.com/porscheparts.php

http://www.lindseyracing.com/mm5/mer...&Store_Code=LR
Old 03-27-2008, 04:42 PM
RobbyK
Pro

Hey thank you so much, I called and they can get the harness. I think it will make a world of difference, seeing as the electrical is the achilles Heal of these Cars as they get older. While we are on the subject can anyone here think of other preventative parts to replace while I am looking? Any other systems where electrical can be an issue?
Old 03-27-2008, 06:49 PM
DarylJ
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by RobbyK
Hey thank you so much, I called and they can get the harness. I think it will make a world of difference, seeing as the electrical is the achilles Heal of these Cars as they get older. While we are on the subject can anyone here think of other preventative parts to replace while I am looking? Any other systems where electrical can be an issue?
All of the electrical bits that connect to the harness that you hear people complaining about......like the speed/ref sensors (that's an expensive PM....I use dielectric grease and zip ties myself), GROUNDS!, headlight wires (replace with something like the iceshark kit), gauges, sensors.......

The real question is are you seeing any issues, and if so, what.....that way you can narrow it down rather than shotgunning parts into you car.

Don't tell me you actually have a working gas gauge. If so, you car probably has a better electrical system than 90% of them out there.
Old 03-28-2008, 01:00 AM
cegan09
Burning Brakes

Is it possible to reuse the connectors from the existing harness if you were to rewire the whole thing? Mine's getting pretty stiff and i've been contemplating the idea of just making a new one. Only thing i don't know is if the connectors can be rewired as i haven't gone out and looked at them close enough
Old 03-28-2008, 01:32 PM
RobbyK
Pro

lol my gas gauge does work and that is only because I got a black set of 924S gauges years ago and replaced the sensor in the tank. I got this car when I was 15, and spent allot of money on parts that I should not of. Along with the basics (timming belt, water pump,ect) I had all new factory Carpet, Seats, All Head liner parts, and a crack free early dash put in. Now 7 years have past and I still have the car. I know it is not worth it to put money in, but it was my first car and holds allot of personal value to me. I feel like I can treat it better now and put money where it is needed, rather than the superfical approach I took as a teenager. The car is 25 years old now, and I am trying to safely prolong its life.
Old 03-28-2008, 02:09 PM
Calmchaos
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You said the OEM was expensive? How expensive are we talking?
I am also one of those high hopes guys that want to make their own harness.

Thanks.
Old 03-28-2008, 02:28 PM
Mamooguy
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by DarylJ
Don't tell me you actually have a working gas gauge. If so, you car probably has a better electrical system than 90% of them out there.
Hee hee! Tell me about it.
Old 03-28-2008, 03:17 PM
Spidey944
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A friend of mine works for Motec and he makes prob the best harnesses I have ever seen. I have a donor Turbo harness that I use JIK I need anything and always wondered what he would want to copy it using new wiring. May be worth another phone call.
Old 03-30-2008, 05:17 PM
AznDrgn
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you might check 928 motorsports, they were making harnesses a few years ago.
Old 03-30-2008, 10:14 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by AznDrgn
you might check 928 motorsports, they were making harnesses a few years ago.
They make early 928 harnesses and had planned to do 944 ones, but never did (I was hoping to be the first customer)

I think the DME harness from Sunset was in the mid-$600 range.

Quick Reply: Wiring Harness