Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ashtray Light

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 07:46 PM
monknomo
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ashtray Light

So I've been converting lights in my dash to LEDs as they burn out. So far I've been sucessful (instrument panel, cigarette lighter, glovebox), but I've run into a hitch. My ashtray light burnt out, so I decided to LED it up.

I did so, it worked for a minute and now I don't have any voltage in the wires there. I checked the wiring diagram and it looks like it is a parallel circuit to the glovebox light.

My question is are there any inline fuses attached to the ashtray light or is it on a relay? Has anyone run into a similar problem?

I suppose I should also mention that it is a 1986 944NA

Last edited by monknomo; 03-26-2008 at 09:55 PM. Reason: adding info
Old 03-26-2008, 09:54 PM
monknomo
Track Day

I should add that another symptom I've just noticed is that the lights in the climate controls have also gone out. Are those on the same circuit? There must be a hidden fuse here, because I checked all the fuses in the fuse box.

Is there a hidden climate control light fuse?
Old 03-28-2008, 10:01 AM
monknomo
Track Day

I answered my own question. For future reference:

The ashtray light is in parallel with the glovebox light.

Neither circuit has an inline fuse.

The ashtray lights wires are prone to internal breakage at the bend where they fold under the console.
Old 03-28-2008, 10:29 AM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 298 Likes on 231 Posts

There is an ashtray light
Old 03-28-2008, 11:06 AM
monknomo
Track Day

yeah, if you lift up the ashtray and look on the cassette box side of the hole you should see a lightbulb held in a clip. Or, if you don't have the lightbulb, you should see three wires attached to a little fixture. The brown is the bround, one of the greys (I think it has a pale stripe) is power, and the other grey hooks it into your dimmer. Porsche wouldn't want your ashtray light to be at a different setting than your gauge lights.
Old 03-29-2008, 12:24 AM
TRDRacer
Instructor

Ashtry Light is useless! There is no point to it, as I replaced it I saw no light going anywhere from that bulb!
Old 03-29-2008, 12:55 AM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

It's not completely useless. It's where I tapped my boost gauge light into so that it would dim with the rest of the lights!

-Darwin
Old 03-29-2008, 10:03 PM
monknomo
Track Day

If you didn't see any light in the ashtray after replacing the bulb (and making sure it works with the ashtray removed), it might be that it is poorly aligned. Sometimes they don't match up with the little hole well. Of course, I solved this problem by widening the hole a little and mounting an LED in it. I could melt the LED with a cig, I suppose, but I don't actually smoke... You can definately see the light if you do that.
Old 03-30-2008, 04:11 PM
mtccl
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by monknomo
So I've been converting lights in my dash to LEDs as they burn out. So far I've been sucessful (instrument panel, cigarette lighter, glovebox), but I've run into a hitch. My ashtray light burnt out, so I decided to LED it up.

I did so, it worked for a minute and now I don't have any voltage in the wires there. I checked the wiring diagram and it looks like it is a parallel circuit to the glovebox light.

My question is are there any inline fuses attached to the ashtray light or is it on a relay? Has anyone run into a similar problem?

I suppose I should also mention that it is a 1986 944NA

What light are you replacing them with??

Is it a direct plug/play replacements??

Thanks,
MM
Old 03-31-2008, 10:26 AM
monknomo
Track Day

No, I replaced them with standard LEDs. If you want to do something like that, you'll have to either look at the specialty LEDs that fit various sockets (I didn't, and can't really help with that), or break out the soldering gun. If you want to solder in LEDs, be sure to use appropriately valued resistors and check your polarity before making it permanent. I usually try to pick an resistor value that is good for up to 14V, to allow for voltage fluctuations while charging.
Old 07-01-2008, 12:30 AM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 171 Posts

Good info, much thanks.

So, is this an unfused lead, this run to the glove box and ashtray? Does the ashtray one switch with anything (lights?)?

Thanks in advance from a guy that's just looking to scam a nice 12-volt feed in that area.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:37 AM
monknomo
Track Day

Well, it is a lead that doesn't have an *inline* fuse. I think the glovebox and ashtray lights share the dashlight fuses, but other than that they are a convenient source of 12V.
Old 07-01-2008, 11:59 PM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 171 Posts

Thanks. Know if the ashtray light is always hot then? Sorry for dumb questions...
Old 07-02-2008, 05:02 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ModdedEverything951S
It's not completely useless. It's where I tapped my boost gauge light into so that it would dim with the rest of the lights!

-Darwin
Nice! Mind if I copy you?
Old 07-02-2008, 11:34 AM
monknomo
Track Day

No such thing as a dumb question. That said, I'm not sure if the ashtray light is always hot. As I recollect, it's only hot when the headlights are on, but I wouldn't stake my life on it, as it has been a while since I peeked in the ashtray... You should be able to find a schematic if you search, though.

The glovebox light line is always hot, though.

Quick Reply: Ashtray Light