Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering: exchangeability tierods between manual and power steering

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 10:53 AM
944 guy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering: exchangeability tierods between manual and power steering

We got a 2nd hand manual rack to replace our power steering rack, which in the past 10 years has sprung numerous leaks, so to hell with PS!
To speak in WSM terms: I noticed that our power rack has tierod type A: the tierod screws into the balljoint (on the wheel-side of the rod).
The manual rack has tierod type B (dimension 'X' is a bit over 350mm): the balljoint screws into the tierod. In other words: the screwing goes in the opposite direction.

On the side of the rack there are differences too, but as far as I can see these are limited to the female part of the joint which screws on-/into the rack and is not actually a part of the tierod itself.

My plan is to swap the tierods but I'm not sure about the balljoint on the rack-side of the rod. I will have to take the tierods from the PS rack, remove the female part of the rack-side balljoint and stick the tierod into the female part of the rack-side balljoint on the manual rack. Are these joints interchangeable?

Otherwise we'll be spendin dough on 2 more wheel-side balljoints
Old 03-21-2008, 01:12 PM
Spidey944
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What year car are you swapping the rack on? Makes a difference on what all you have to do to get it right.
Old 03-21-2008, 01:54 PM
Cass944
Drifting

ive always wondered why you cant just take the inner and outer tie rods off your power rack and just put them on a manual rack...

is the thread different or something? I know the way the inner and outer rods screw together is different from power and manual... but what about the way the tie rod actually attaches to the rack?
Old 03-21-2008, 02:08 PM
Spidey944
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cass944
ive always wondered why you cant just take the inner and outer tie rods off your power rack and just put them on a manual rack...

is the thread different or something? I know the way the inner and outer rods screw together is different from power and manual... but what about the way the tie rod actually attaches to the rack?
I've always thought this too. Why not just swap the inners and outers as an assembly? Maybe the overal rack length is different and there is not enough adjustment to make up for it?
Old 03-21-2008, 02:17 PM
944 guy
Instructor

SS: our car is an 86. I don't know what year the manual rack is, but judging by the updated tierods the rack is slightly newer. And going on the information given in the WSM, it's no later than MY 86. We exchanged for a rebuilt rack once so I'm guessing we got an older PS rack back which explains why we have the old tierods.
So in summary: our car MY 86, PS rack presumably pre 86, manual rack: 86.

Cass: that's exactly my question: both tierods attach to the rack via ball joints. You slide a 'cup' which is part of the female part of the joint over the tierod which then screws on to the rack, locking the ball (the male part) in between the rack (or perhaps an insert with a spherical shape for the joint) and the cup mentioned previously.
What throws me off is that the cups seem identical but there's some junk behind them (locknuts, washers, someo odd parts) that's different. I'll see if I can get some pictures tomorrow.
My guess is they are, but I would prefer some confirmation before I pull apart 2 properly adjusted racks.
Old 03-21-2008, 02:59 PM
Cass944
Drifting

i just bought a manual rack, im waiting for it to be sent to me. hopefully i can get it sometime this next week and ill be able to confirm it for sure.
Old 03-21-2008, 03:24 PM
Spidey944
Rennlist Member

944 guy. Your manual rack is a direct bolt on for the 86 cars. I did mine 4 months ago and love it. No mods required, no tie rod swapping.
Old 03-21-2008, 04:33 PM
944 guy
Instructor

Uhh, I can confirm that I can not bolt it on, because once again:
On the wheel side of the tierods our PS rack has a MALE connection, and on the manual rack we have a FEMALE connection. I assure you: tierod swapping is required, if possible. Otherwise I'll have to get new balljoints.
Old 03-21-2008, 04:35 PM
Wipeout
Not Special
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Take a look at this thread from earlier this week: https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-944-951-968-forum/418049-late-manual-tie-rods-power-to-manual-steering-solution.html
Old 03-21-2008, 05:03 PM
Cass944
Drifting

i know the way the ball joint attaches to the inner rod is different (male/female). but im wondering about the way the rod attaches to the rack itself.

like... I have an 86 (early offset). so if i buy JUST the rack with no tierods at all(inner or outer). would it be possible to just swap the rods/balljoints from my PS rack onto the manual rack?

anyone have a picture of this?
Old 03-21-2008, 05:09 PM
Cass944
Drifting

ok upon doing some research i found that the inner rod/rack connection is the same story as the rod/balljoint situation

the connection on the PS rack is female, so the inner tie rod screws INTO to main shaft that runs through the rack.

the connection on the Manual rack is male, to the main shaft through the rack screws INTO the tie rod.

**i found this info by looking at the tie rods on 944online.com
Old 03-21-2008, 05:16 PM
944 guy
Instructor

Interesting thread wipeout, but with an 86 I think I have the early offset, 944 LT-1's solution would probably make my tierods too long.
Note that he used the SHORT version of the tierods (in the WSM type A or B) on a late offset 944, yielding the space he needed for his solution (sandwiching two nuts in there adds 15-20 mm's, which I don't have).
Old 03-21-2008, 05:28 PM
Cass944
Drifting

yeah but the only reason he did the thing with the stud is because getting manual inner rods for a late offset car costs a LOT more than the ones for an early offset car.

his solution is really just how to use the cheaper manual rods on a late offset car.

so yeah if your car is an 86 then you wouldn't have to worry about buying the mega expensive inner rods. either way you wills till need the (still pretty expensive) early offset manual rods.
Old 03-21-2008, 05:48 PM
Wipeout
Not Special
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well boo. I've got an early, but leak-free power steering so I've not done any of this.
Old 03-21-2008, 06:18 PM
944 guy
Instructor

Originally Posted by Cass944
ok upon doing some research i found that the inner rod/rack connection is the same story as the rod/balljoint situation

the connection on the PS rack is female, so the inner tie rod screws INTO to main shaft that runs through the rack.

the connection on the Manual rack is male, to the main shaft through the rack screws INTO the tie rod.

**i found this info by looking at the tie rods on 944online.com
I think I'll pull my rods apart anyway tomorrow and see if I can use the female part of the rack-side balljoint with the male piece on the tierods. I'll keep y'all updated. After putting some thought into it I reached the conclusion that it would be pretty stupid if there was any difference in the balljoint dimensions: the WSM mentions that tierod type B may be used as a replacement for A, so there's got to be a way. Looks like I'll have to re-adjust the rack then...

Quick Reply: Steering: exchangeability tierods between manual and power steering