Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you heel-toe in a 944?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 10:08 PM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

It's very difficult if not impossible to heel-toe in the "traditional" style on a 944 and many german cars in general due to the fact that the pedal is attached to the floor where it pivots, where as many japanese cars have a free floating pedal that will go down no matter where you press on it.

I use a method like you have in your second picture. Basically braking with the inside of my right foot while rolling the outside of it to blip the throttle.

Here is a youtube video of a Carrera GT using this method:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3ULS7pnxyg

Last edited by potent951turbo; 03-19-2008 at 12:58 PM.
Old 03-18-2008, 10:14 PM
Chwatson
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i was driving a really, really clean integra GSR the other day and i had a LOT of trouble heel-toeing in it. It wasn't so much the location of the loud pedal as the softness of the brake pedal. I'm sure it would be impossible for me to heel-toe in any other car without getting used to true power brakes again. Pedals with lots of resistance are amazing.
Old 03-18-2008, 10:20 PM
roman944
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

lol I'm 5'12, I'm wearing those italian pointy shoes almost all the time, and its doing fine, I'm size 11 though

I did notice that the pointy end of shoes has gotten beaten up / worn out, so I need to get new shoes, and some driving shoes / snickers - any recomendations?
Old 03-18-2008, 10:22 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

In pumas, I have no problem left-footing and I have big feet as previously mentioned. For autocross, once I shift into 2nd, except for the rare time I need to go back to 1st or to 3rd and back, I leave my leftie on the pedal.

You maybe should try narrower shoes.

Or less fat feet.
Old 03-18-2008, 11:12 PM
cegan09
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There was some discussion as to 'proper' way to heel-toe on the lotus forum. The final word was there is no proper way. Whichever way you are more comfortable with and gets the best results is the correct way. As you learned with the GSR, every car has different peddle feel and alignment, so it takes some relearning with every car.

I'll be spending this summer learning to be good in both the 924S and my Dad's Elise so we can switch off cars at track days.
Old 03-19-2008, 03:16 AM
944CS
Drifting

Originally Posted by roman944
lol I'm 5'12, I'm wearing those italian pointy shoes almost all the time, and its doing fine, I'm size 11 though

I did notice that the pointy end of shoes has gotten beaten up / worn out, so I need to get new shoes, and some driving shoes / snickers - any recomendations?
you're 5'12"? thats a new one

also that carrera gt guy can't shift, up or down
Old 03-19-2008, 03:42 AM
Agent_13
Rennlist Member

You could build an extension off the top of the accelerator pedal, that extends towards, and slightly above the brake. With this you could just change the angle of your foot while braking, to apply throttle.
Old 03-19-2008, 03:48 AM
Tenacious_G
Three Wheelin'

I use method two. From what I understand, "Heel-toe" used to be more literal a long while back because the placement of the gas and brake were at one's -- and you're never gonna see this one comin' -- heel and toe. Now (and for a while now..) pedals have that standard placement but the term still lives on..

As far as your predicament goes, I'm pretty sure they make pedals that are funky shapes to "reach" over towards the brake in such a way that it won't necessarily interfere with standard braking, but you could roll your foot on the brake a certain way and get on the throttle a bit... I'll see if I can't track down a set.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:18 AM
Spidey944
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPj9XXW25GA&NR=1

I like this guys video
Old 03-19-2008, 08:35 AM
roman944
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 944CS
you're 5'12"? thats a new one

also that carrera gt guy can't shift, up or down
5'12 - 6'0

I blame it on shoes
where regular shoe would end, this one has a "pointy end" that makes them about 1.5" longer; you should see how beat up my right shoe got after a couple of months!
Old 03-19-2008, 09:12 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

I always "heel-toe" side to side, method 2 as you've labeled it. This both on the street, test track, and when racing. I have a wider accel pedal overlay, maybe not quite as wide as yours but close, and it also is pretty thick (1/4") to add height to the pedal as well. Works quite well. My brake pedal is also probably pretty well adjusted (using the booster pushrod, under the dash), so when I'm braking hard the pedal heights match just fine.

I find it easier to do on the street, if anything, 'cause then I'm using regular shoes with a wide base; when racing, I'm of course using race shoes, which then have an even narrower base. They're of course designed to be narrow, for the cramped footbox in formula cars! But it works.

As for left foot braking, yes, clearance is tight with the knee and the dash - I'm 6', sit well back, and don't even have a knee bar. But you get it with practice. I'd also recommend practicing this on the street before attempting it on the track - it takes quite some time to retrain your foot to work gently as required on the brakes, and you have to remember to move it back to the clutch before you try to shift! BTDT...
Old 03-19-2008, 09:17 AM
hardtail15
Racer

I use method 1, however my foot gets much higher on the brake pedal. more like the middle inside of my foot is on the top right of the brake pedal and my heal blips the gas. It works for me fairly well in pumas.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:22 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I use neither method pictured. Although it is closer to #2 the position of the heel of my foot is over gas more than the brake.

I depress the brake with the ball of my right foot only the edge of the pedal and edge of my foot and my foot is sort of pidgeon toed in a bit. The ball of my foot is quite strong and therefore easy to apply lots of force and also modulate. I then use the widest part of the foot to roll over and press the gas twisting my ankle in the process. So I used neither the heel nor the toe. In track car I have worn a spot in the metal under the gas pedal as I rest my heel there and typically pivot my heel over torward the brake. I believe my heel comes off the floor when on the brake, but I can't be sure.
Old 03-19-2008, 12:43 PM
Wallace
Racer

Originally Posted by hardtail15
I use method 1, however my foot gets much higher on the brake pedal. more like the middle inside of my foot is on the top right of the brake pedal and my heal blips the gas. It works for me fairly well in pumas.
This is how I do it as well.
I learned on a Honda, where the pedals are really light and hinged from the top compared to the 944.
It takes a little more "heal" effort and more of a slanted foot because of the height difference between the brake and the gas in the 944.
I've been considering getting a new gas pedal cover that's thicker and sticks out a little more at the bottom left to compensate for this.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:12 PM
michel944
Pro

I have been using heel and toe for between 25 and 30 years and was also instructor in many types of racing categories, from sedan to formula cars. What I do with a manual car is more like half and half / side by side with a slight twist of the ankle. But example no.2 is so wrong !!!!!!! It is inconceivable for me that you can modulate brakes and gas correctly with heel on the brakes and toes on the gas !!! You should try to get used to a better technique like I explained on top or you are gonna be in trouble some day doing this...

Last edited by michel944; 03-20-2008 at 01:25 PM.

Quick Reply: How do you heel-toe in a 944?