Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cabriolet Stereo possibilities

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 11:23 PM
Mello
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cabriolet Stereo possibilities

So right now my cab has the stock 8 speaker package. I want to upgrade it and also use the 5 channel Alpine amp with crossover and 8 inch bazooka that I bought 5 years ago, but never used.

The 8 speaker door panels are linen in color, and in not the best condition, so I was thinking of downgrading to a 4 speaker setup. I have 4 speaker linen door panels in perfect condition. My thinking is I can put a good 4X6 speaker in the door of the cab (more clearance in the cab door, right? no window track in the way?) Besides having door panels in better condition, I don't have to mess with those weird size speakers, and the component crossover. My amp has a crossover.

Does this sound like a good idea? What if I want to add tweeters? Will I then be back to needing a component crossover?

Thanks!
Old 03-14-2008, 11:25 PM
Mello
Rennlist Member

And I also get my map pocket back. :-)
Old 03-17-2008, 06:01 PM
Mello
Rennlist Member

OK. How about this question.... It is my understanding that the Cab has 4X6 speakers in the rear. Can the Cab accomodate 6.5" speakers in the rear, as the later coupes can with the adaptor plate?
Old 03-17-2008, 07:40 PM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mello
OK. How about this question.... It is my understanding that the Cab has 4X6 speakers in the rear. Can the Cab accomodate 6.5" speakers in the rear, as the later coupes can with the adaptor plate?
I dont think this is possibe, as there is no room for an extra speaker behind there.

This is where all of the top raising parts are going.

I was looking through the PET diagram and saw that it was possible to install a 4x6 speaker into a 944 cabriolet.

The wiring is actually already there, and once you plug up the 4x6 speaker to the already 8 speaker system, youll have ten speakers! You just remove the door panel and you have to cut a hole in it for the 4x6 but there is an outline on the inner door panel.

I dont know how well this worked yet, as I havent driven the car in almost 5 months

And on yeah, ditch that equalizer! I have an alpine head unit and the equalizer didnt even work.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:35 PM
Mello
Rennlist Member

Oh yea, the equalizer is going too. There's no place to put anything right now. Thanks! I think I will be downgrading to a 4 or 6 speaker system with just the 4X6 in front and possible tweeters. With a new headunit, speakers, sub, and amp, it will be way better than what I have now.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:37 PM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mello
Oh yea, the equalizer is going too. There's no place to put anything right now. Thanks! I think I will be downgrading to a 4 or 6 speaker system with just the 4X6 in front and possible tweeters. With a new headunit, speakers, sub, and amp, it will be way better than what I have now.
The eight speaker setup isnt a bad setup. Its that usually most of the speakers tend to be blown and old.

I think adding the 4x6 into the mix might help pick up some power that the 8 speaker setup lacks though.

I had the 4 speaker setup in my 951 with infinity speakers (the kappa series). Wow that sounded amazing.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:34 AM
alex
Almost Addicted
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Check out my thread RE door speakers: https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-944-951-968-forum/417510-finished-944-stereo-polk-sr-5-25-component-installation.html

It allows you to keep the door pockets as well.

Get some inexpensive 5.25" components (I got mine at a price nowhere near the $900 msrp)- the 4x6 is practically a tweeter anyway. The big if: are you planning on running an amp for the speakers? If not, you will want to get 5.25" components that will handle low power, if they exist. As for the crossovers, you can probably fit them in the glove box, or possibly in the doors- but that will be more work.

As for the rears speakers, I haven't ever seen a cabrio interior, but my rear 6.5 components look like this:

Good luck, and by the way, I have been thoroughly impressed w/ the Orions and Polks, and component systems in general. I installed some Polks in a different vehicle, and was thrilled (I didn't think speakers could sound so good).

Last edited by alex; 03-18-2008 at 10:32 AM.
Old 03-18-2008, 03:36 PM
944obscene
Three Wheelin'

If you split the wires and run two speakers per channel up front, then you you can run through a X over and split the signal and have a speaker for highs and one for mids on either side. I've kinda wanted to try this idea. Then have two midrange drivers in rear with tweeters up high in front and a subwoofer tucked away to cover low end. Done correctly, I think the results would be amazing.

Quick Reply: Cabriolet Stereo possibilities