Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

leaky 924S

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 05:08 PM
jbob
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default leaky 924S

i have a leaky, sound making power steering system - its been good since i added fluid, but it just made the steering sound again this morning and the hose coming off of the steering fluid reservoir is coated in drippage

and a gas smelling cabin - it was just when i filled up, its gotten a little worse. kind of worrisome to smell flammables.

tempted to take the thing in to my local shop.

any ballparks on what kind of hours this might take a shop

in seattle, anyone know any freelancers that could work on this. this isnt really throw it up on a jack kind of work, but i personally dont have a garage.

thanks
Old 03-12-2008, 05:10 PM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

944/924s are famous for leaky PS, so I would suggest doing what I did. Find a manual steering rack and put that in. Also, 944/924s smell like gas when they are full. Just don't top off the tank. When it shuts off the first time don't put anymore in. At least that is the cheap way to go.
Old 03-12-2008, 05:16 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by jbob
i have a leaky, sound making power steering system - its been good since i added fluid, but it just made the steering sound again this morning and the hose coming off of the steering fluid reservoir is coated in drippage...
You have a leak from the bottom of the reservoir. the hose is most likely rotting and split where it clamps to the reservoir. See if you can cut just enough of the hose to get past the leak and still mount the reservoir. If not, you may need a new hose.

Going to a manual rack will solve the problem forever but it isn't easy. Is there even a manual rack for the 924?
Old 03-12-2008, 05:18 PM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

No, but you can put an early 944 one in. If you can find one, as they are getting harder and harder to find because everyone wants them for track cars.
Old 03-12-2008, 06:10 PM
jbob
Racer

power steering leak
if i cut this, how do i keep from making a mess of fluid all over the place? do i just cut and plug as fast as possible?...

putting in a new hose, how hard would that be for a mechanically inclined, but pretty new 924 owner? would anyone know that part number? seems like a reach down to the non-reservoir end of the thing

i will prob not go the steering rack replace route. trying to keep on a budget.

on the gas smell issue,
i wasnt brave enough to pull up my carpet, any tips on how to peel the thing back and see whats going on?

to just have a pro go in a replace this hose, what kind of money would i prob be looking at?

obvioulsy i'm still pretty new to these cars, but i think i could prob do some of this myself. with fuel, etc, i guess i get a little paranoid about it not being done right.

thanks for the feedback.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:03 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Start here: link for parts info.
Old 03-14-2008, 07:30 AM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jbob
power steering leak
if i cut this, how do i keep from making a mess of fluid all over the place? do i just cut and plug as fast as possible?...
Try using a plastic bag to catch an spilled fluid. You can try using a plastic grocery bag and position it under the reservoir to catch your fluid.

putting in a new hose, how hard would that be for a mechanically inclined, but pretty new 924 owner? would anyone know that part number? seems like a reach down to the non-reservoir end of the thing
I'm not sure about the 924S. Take a look at the parts breakdown linked above. You can find the part number and location. I know it's a pain on the 951 but on the 924, replacement may not be hard.

on the gas smell issue,
i wasnt brave enough to pull up my carpet, any tips on how to peel the thing back and see whats going on?
The hatch carpet should just lift up. Is yours held in place with adhesive or something?

to just have a pro go in a replace this hose, what kind of money would i prob be looking at?
With parts, probably $300....just a guess.

Quick Reply: leaky 924S