Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Koni Yellow question

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 12:04 AM
mclarenno9
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Koni Yellow question

A couple weeks ago I purchased Koni yellows for my car as part of a suspension overhaul. Upon inspection of the rear shocks (8040-1035SPORT) I have noticed that one of them doesn't appear to be working quite correctly.

I took them out of the packaging and removed the bump stops to adjust them. I was figuring I would need them to be somewhat stiffer since my 30mm torsion bars will be at the upper limit of the Koni Sport's working range. Anyway, one of them seems to work fine, and there is plenty of adjustment. The other one does not seem to respond in any way to the adjustment unless I turn it all the way to stiff in which case it rebounds slower, but nothing close to the other shock (which I can completely close the valves on and it rebounds in minutes instead of seconds).

I have both of them set at full stiff minus 1/4 turn (if you go to the stop the valves close, so I backed them off until you can just feel that little bit of resistance). At this setting, the "good" shock takes ~8 seconds to rebound and the other only takes about 3? Is this normal to have them behave so differently? Jason at Paragon said it might be an issue with how tight the seals are in each unit...but even if I pull on the "good" shock while rebounding it wont go any faster so I doubt this is the case.

I am performing a total suspension overhaul on my 88 951 and have completed the front end and am now putting the rear back together and would like to know if I should continue to do so with these shocks. I have tried to contact Koni three times with no response so I am hoping some of you can shed light on this!
Old 03-14-2008, 02:32 AM
J Silverman
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Koni is notorious for variation in valving for their shocks. A friend of mine had a pair where he had to run one almost full stiff and on almost full soft to get the rebound to be about the same on each side. Unfortunately none of the shock retailers dyno match them prior to sale which would eliminate problems like this.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:25 AM
Stephenwz968
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

According to Truechoice, when I sent a set back that they had rebuilt, the rate at which they spring back is only caused by air that is forced into the tube, then Koni shoots a beebee into the hole to seal it, and it doesn't really affect the dampening of the strut. They "fixed" my set and sent them back and they work fine now, but that was the explanation I got from the rebuilders...

Steve
Old 03-14-2008, 08:18 AM
mclarenno9
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess it kinda sucks that I bought them for their adjustability and yet will not be able to use them in that way. I don't think I can make the one stiff enough to deal with the torsion bars and thats what I am worried about.

Does anyone know if this is covered under their warranty? That is, if I can even get ahold of them!
Old 03-14-2008, 08:29 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 524 Posts

Konis have a lifetime warranty. Talk to the place you purchased them. If they can't help - go directly to Lee Grimes at Koni in Hebron, KY.

Quick Reply: Koni Yellow question