Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Did I Kill This Morning?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 12:27 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 93 Likes on 55 Posts

Check the axles, one might have come out lose. If not don't worry I have cheap trannies gurantee for 90 days or your money back and I can deliver within 5 days. I sold Rock a tranny very cheap.
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Take it from me. Ive killed numerous transmissions.

Your transmission is ok!

Sounds more like a clutch than it does a tranny. Do you have the rubber centered clutch still?
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lart951
Check the axles, one might have come out lose. If not don't worry I have cheap trannies gurantee for 90 days or your money back and I can deliver within 5 days. I sold Rock a tranny very cheap.
That he did. Good business man. Good friend. Good lover.
Old 03-04-2008, 01:07 PM
Tenacious_G
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cone_eater
Was it a violent vibration or a smooth vibration?
Violent, not at all smooth or good, very unlike the Beach Boys song, sort of vibrations.
Old 03-04-2008, 02:48 PM
Tenacious_G
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Rock
Take it from me. Ive killed numerous transmissions.

Your transmission is ok!

Sounds more like a clutch than it does a tranny. Do you have the rubber centered clutch still?
If it does, it was still replaced less than 25,000 miles ago (bought it with a touch under 55k and it had just gotten a new clutch, I'm around 77k now) so I'm worried that the clutch is still too new to be the problem.. Colorado Gee-off described the same symptoms I experienced when he talked about grenading his tranny -- rotten loud sound, horrible vibrations, the sensation as if someone had dropped a can of marbles in the transmission. I really wanna find out what's going on tonight or tomorrow, but without a jack or jackstands, it'd be slow (and a little dangerous) work. As much as I hate to say it this might have to hold off until Friday, when I can get AAA to tow it back to my parents' house.
Old 03-04-2008, 03:14 PM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The shifter going in all directions would indicate its a shifter linkage issue. There is a 13mm head bolt at the top of the transmission that goes into the shifter rod going into the transmission shifter. If that comes loose, they can become disconnected causing your shifter problem. On top of that, it sounds like you have multiple issues going on here.
Old 03-04-2008, 03:25 PM
Tenacious_G
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Legoland951
The shifter going in all directions would indicate its a shifter linkage issue. There is a 13mm head bolt at the top of the transmission that goes into the shifter rod going into the transmission shifter. If that comes loose, they can become disconnected causing your shifter problem. On top of that, it sounds like you have multiple issues going on here.
THAT'S my worst fear... Is it common for a shifter linkage to fail and subsequently cause the transmission to explode?
Old 03-04-2008, 03:30 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, but if the linkage popped, wouldn't it not sound like a can of marbles, Loud enough to be heard from a couple blocks away? (I guess someone told him they could hear it). sounds to me like some loose transmission bits floating around. I also don't see how a loose, or D/C'd shift linkage would cause it to do all of the horrible things described, or be progressive. My guess is that a tooth or 2 came off the R&P, and since he was able to still (sort of) drive it a couple blocks, things got progressively worse.

I've had my linkage disconnect itself, and it's NOTHING like what Andrew described to me on the phone.

One last thing, in the event that I'm wrong, Andrew, pull up your shift boot and see if the linkage is disconnected at the shift lever.
Old 03-04-2008, 04:00 PM
Legoland951
Race Car

The shifter pulls out causing no damage to the tranny. Slide shift rod tube back into the transmission and put the 13mm bolt back in.
Old 03-04-2008, 04:02 PM
Tenacious_G
Three Wheelin'

But does it cause crazy sounds and vibrations?
Old 03-04-2008, 04:28 PM
Legoland951
Race Car

This is why I think you have different separate problems.
Old 03-04-2008, 04:41 PM
Tenacious_G
Three Wheelin'

If the transmission is truly destroyed, I think my game plan is as follows:

-Convince my dad to let me swap in the LSD tranny that's just sitting in the driveway.
-Crack open the tranny that's on it now annd see if it's worth my time to fix.
-Fix, if possible, if not, scrap/sell.

Crossing my fingers.... We'll see where things are in a few days.

If I can't buy/borrow/steal the LSD, I'll have to start the track season late (possibly REALLY late..) depending on how my search for a local tranny in good shape goes for me -- Lart, if things don't work out, expect a PM...
Old 03-04-2008, 04:52 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I have serious doubts the tranny itself is the problem. Violent vibrations don't come from trannies about to blow. Not that I get intimate with trannies.....

It could be clutch / pilot bearing related, it could be CVs, maybe it's just your tranny mounts finished disintegrating, and then the vibrations knocked your linkage loose?
Old 03-04-2008, 04:57 PM
alex
Almost Addicted
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by FRporscheman
I have serious doubts the tranny itself is the problem. Violent vibrations don't come from trannies about to blow. Not that I get intimate with trannies.....

It could be clutch / pilot bearing related, it could be CVs, maybe it's just your tranny mounts finished disintegrating, and then the vibrations knocked your linkage loose?
Yeah, like I said- it sounds exactly like what happened when the pilot bearing gave up the ghost.
Old 03-04-2008, 06:03 PM
2BWise
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

If the shift linkage was still partially concerned, maybe a thread or two, it would allow him to get a gear or two, but probaly not first or second. My thought is that the shift linkage was really loose, but not disconnected. Could have had the car in third or fourth and if at low speeds the car would shake. Easiest way to tell would be to check the linkage, if its out reconnect it, or manually put it in first with some pliers and see if it still vibrates

Quick Reply: What Did I Kill This Morning?