Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recaro Speeds in a 968? (x post from 968 forum)

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 02:38 PM
Jim_K
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Recaro Speeds in a 968? (x post from 968 forum)

I am getting pretty close to purchasing a pair of Recaro Speeds for my 968.

I am trying to get the seat as low as possible so I have some additional helmet room over the stock seats.

I am only 5' 8", but due to having to have the seat fairly far foward to properly reach the pedals, I run out of headroom with my helmet on.

Does anyone have experience with this seat and mounting options that will give more clearance than the stock set up?

I want to be able to use sliders and not mount the seat fixed, but I need some options on headroom. Any suggestions/experience is appreciated.

Jim
Old 03-03-2008, 02:50 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Jim:
The problem with most racing seat mounting kits is that they don't have provisioning for your inner seat belt anchor point. In later 944's and the 968 (IIRC), the inner seat belt mounting point is on our stock seats. So for most aftermarket seat mounting kits, you would need to poke a hole through the torque tube tunnel for your inner seat belt mounting point AND your harness mounting point.

That said, Stable Energies sells a nice mounting bracket that will solve your needs. It has a bolt hole where you can mount the inner seat belt anchor point as well as your inner harness mount. I'm 6'2", and while the setup from Stable does raise the seats up about half and inch off the floor, I still have plenty of clearance, even with a helmet on. If you go that route, tell Bob or Laurette that you need the same seat mounting brackets that you sold Zoltan a couple of years ago.

-Z-man.
Old 03-03-2008, 02:57 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure about Speeds, but I just bought manual, cloth, Recaro Sports to install in a 951. I'm 5'9" & they're a touch lower than lowest setting of stock, cloth 8-way elec adjs. Easy to bring up, though. Not sure if it's legal in racing, but I made some pedal spacers long ago (might not be legal in certain classes)& have had a few people immitate mine, to some degree- 2.25" clutch, 2" brake & accel & a 1" spacer for a Momo Competition. I'll probably redo the pedal spacers eventually, maybe changing slightly to make for better heel & toe practice. BTW- brackets are not needed w/the Sports & only serve to add ~6lbs back total. The Recaros only save 1lb/ea over factory manual 39lb seats. People don't consider the weight of the sliders.

Hope this helps at least a little...
Old 03-03-2008, 03:01 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Just read Zoltan's post- been a long time man :-) He knows a lot more about the racing aspect, so what I'm about to suggest, you might need to check on, but would be TONS easier. I went to Home Depot & bought an "L" shaped piece of steel. Drilled one hole in the base & then one on the side- placed it over the mounting bolt hole & the seat bolts it in-place. Then the seatbelt goes through the other hole- I just copied the welded-on seatbelt anchor the bracket I had used for the provision. I am going to have to shape mine just right, but it will go & will work fine & there are various thicknesses you can find, etc. This one is plenty strong & I found some washer of same thickness to put on other 5 mounting holes per seat to make the seat perfectly level, although I'm probably just going to do the rears & leave the fronts alone as I like my seat a touch more flat...

Again, I hope this helps- it'll save you ~$250 - $300 & some 6lbs total & I'm pretty sure it's more than strong enough...
Old 03-03-2008, 08:54 PM
mj951
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 103 Posts

I have a pair of Recaro Speeds in my 951, I used Recaro sliders and Brey-Krause R-9001, R-9003 and R-9005 hardware for the inner and outer harness mounts to keep the stock seat belts. Not the cheapest solution, but clean and at 6'-3" no issues.
Old 03-04-2008, 01:38 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Jim- sorry for the slight tangent, but hopefully this question might help you too...

mj951- you said you used all 3 of those (BK hardware)- why did you need all of them? It seems you would only need the R-9005? I only say this b/c I just looked them up w/your #'s- I don't know anything about them & have never seen them close up...

Also- the brackets- did you use a bracket, or just mount the sliders to the floor? To me, it seemed like a waste of $ to use the brackets that I was sent from Speedware MS- they don't even have the holes lined up perfectly, so I would have to drill them out- could do the same thing on the rails, which I'm doing, & save lbs & $.

Last- I tried to cut the end off of one pair of sliders- it seems there are bearings in them... Am I screwed to the tune of a new pair or is this a completely stupid question? I'm now wondering if there are better sliders, as the uncut pair, which is already connected to the bottom of that seat, really hardly works- it's very tough to get it to lock up & slide... Starting to wonder if I should invest in better rails or something...? Any ideas?
Old 03-04-2008, 10:15 AM
Jim_K
Rennlist Member

Guys, thanks to all for the info. It is good to get as many suggestions as possible from those who have experience with this. I know from talking with alot of friends that installing aftermarket seats can be a realy bit*&.

Any opinions on where to buy the seats and Recaro sliders? I have the BK mounts so should be good there.

Regards

Jim
1992 968 6 speed Coupe
Guards Red / Cashmere
Old 03-04-2008, 10:34 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

I bought mine from Speedware Motorsports. Their prices were as good, or better, than anyone's I could find at the time & then they had a 20% off sale for New Years. Talk to Thatcher - you can mention my name, since it was so recent - his e-mail addy is:

thatcher AT speedwaremotorsports.com
Old 03-04-2008, 12:51 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 518 Likes on 348 Posts

I used the Stable Energies brackets, which are made by Wedge for the recaro speeds in my old 951. At the lowest setting they were a little lower then the stock seats. I'm 5'11", all torso, so I had to sit fairly close to the wheel, this combo gave me enough helmet room against the sunroof...
Old 03-04-2008, 07:05 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 106 Likes on 79 Posts

I have a set of the sliders you want. They were on my car for two events. PM me and we can work something out.

they are the recaro sliders that bolt to the seat, and to the factory holes in the floor. they go for $100 each from speedware. they were mounted to my speeds but i got the adjustable height tracks (just the top) and the wedge base they screw on to from stable energies in NJ for close to $400.

I need to cut some of the height off of the adjustable track.

if you want the non adjustable tracks, PM me.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:08 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Z-man
Jim:
The problem with most racing seat mounting kits is that they don't have provisioning for your inner seat belt anchor point. In later 944's and the 968 (IIRC), the inner seat belt mounting point is on our stock seats. So for most aftermarket seat mounting kits, you would need to poke a hole through the torque tube tunnel for your inner seat belt mounting point AND your harness mounting point.

That said, Stable Energies sells a nice mounting bracket that will solve your needs. It has a bolt hole where you can mount the inner seat belt anchor point as well as your inner harness mount. I'm 6'2", and while the setup from Stable does raise the seats up about half and inch off the floor, I still have plenty of clearance, even with a helmet on. If you go that route, tell Bob or Laurette that you need the same seat mounting brackets that you sold Zoltan a couple of years ago.

-Z-man.
i took a bolt out of the side of the recaro seat and got a slightly longer one and mounted the factory belt to that.

Z what holes are your passenger seat set to? I think i need to lower mine.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:11 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by docwyte
I used the Stable Energies brackets, which are made by Wedge for the recaro speeds in my old 951. At the lowest setting they were a little lower then the stock seats. I'm 5'11", all torso, so I had to sit fairly close to the wheel, this combo gave me enough helmet room against the sunroof...
Doc,
There are three holes on the adjustable bracket. did you cut any of them off?
Old 03-05-2008, 04:23 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Tom- I'm using the regular non-height adj sliders & bolting them straight to floor (no brackets)- actually, I'm using a nylon spacer in b/t the rails & floor to bring the seat height up ~3/4". At first you said you bolted the sliders to the floor, but then you mentioned the bracket- did you try both, or what? Just curious, as my slider holes do not line up perfectly w/the floor holes- of course, neither do the bracket's, but it's a lot easier to fix the sliders than the brackets & saves $, weight, etc.

Also, you said you have some rails for sale. Assuming that Jim does not want them- are you referring to the regular non-height adjustable sliders? If so, how much? I took a saw & dremel to the ends of one pair of mine- long-*** story, but in the end, I'm losing bearings & am not sure if I'll be able to fix this little screw-up or not. I'll need to buy another pair & that'll run, as you said, $100 from Speedware. I didn't even know they had height adj except for electric- how much are they? Are they heavier? My nylon bushing idea wont add hardly anything & very cheap & easy.

I need to find a source for the longer 40mm bolts so that I can have enough to bolt the seats to the floor. 1.25 pitch 8mm's I think... Anyone know where I can match these bolts? The valve cover ones are only ~35mm...

thanks
Robby
Old 03-05-2008, 12:37 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

robby,
i have both the non adjustable and adjustable. i took the non adjustable out (only drivers side so far) and put the height adjustable in.

the non adjustable are self contained and bolted right to the floor of my S2 using the factory holes and the factory seat holes. the adjustable need the bracket on the bottom since they take screws 90 deg from teh floor. the bracket basically bolts to the floor and has tabs bent up with nuts welded on the inside for the height adjustable ones.

if you want my non adjustable tracks you are actually the perfect person for them since you have the piece that goes in the front between your legs to raise the slider so it moves. the one with the height adustable brackets is a different width.

they cost 100 new each, how bout half and say $10 to ship em to you?
Old 03-07-2008, 04:01 PM
Jim_K
Rennlist Member

Robby/Tom and everyone else who replied....thanks again for all of the info on this Tom you have a PM regarding the sliders.

Quick Reply: Recaro Speeds in a 968? (x post from 968 forum)