Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Floorboard cracks repair ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 01:40 PM
544DRS
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Floorboard cracks repair ideas?

Well, my '83 944 interior has been stripped. Everything's out but the AC and the spare tire! Lots of water on the passenger side floor, especially behind the front seat and underneath the rear seats. Lots of repairs are in order:
  • Battery tray has a hole that drains into passenger compartment
  • Sunroof hoses were pulled out of the rear hatch drain holes
  • Debris beneath windshield might be catching water
  • Window seals need checking and replacement

Looks like someone in the past 25 years has tried to jack the car up where they shouldn't have...the floorboard is "kind of" cracked and indented.

I was going to install dynamat to the floorboards, but I'd rather fix any place that leaks before I put that gooey stuff down. I like the idea of using smoke to detect leaks but I'm unsure it'll work here, but I'll start checking for PDX-area shops that have the technology.

That said, once the leaky places are identified, how should I fix them? I don't have any welding stuff, so if there's a chemical method that'll work, please let me know.

Thanks,

Nick
Old 03-02-2008, 03:49 PM
alex
Almost Addicted
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

have someone weld it for you- it'll be cheap to fix a small crack. Thats the way to do it right, but if you laid the dynamat down over it- it would probably be fine. I know a guy who is getting an old corvette going and thats what he did.
Old 03-02-2008, 10:14 PM
544DRS
Instructor

Question

Well, I took a harder look at the floorboard this afternoon, and did some vacuuming and more rotted-soundproofing removal. I'm now seeing that most of the water damage must have come from the battery tray and--perhaps--an older problem the previous owner corrected (bad rear hatch seal).

The floorboard cracks don't look too bad, so I'm not sure what would get welded. There are a couple of holes drilled into the floor, where I'd bet a previous owner had a stereo amplifier installed under the passenger seat, but other than that it looks "sort of" okay.

I'll upload some pictures tomorrow, but until then, have any of you had success patching these types of defects without welding?

Thanks,

Nick
Old 03-02-2008, 11:16 PM
alex
Almost Addicted
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Personally, I haven't- good luck though-
Old 03-02-2008, 11:36 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

www.POR15.com

there is some stuff on that site that is a fiberglass type of repair but has a POR15 additive over it and believe me- this stuff gets super hard and you will never have a leak again after fixing it w/ this stuff. Will work for the floorboard and the battery tray.
Old 03-03-2008, 01:10 AM
544DRS
Instructor

Thumbs up

Groovy. Just what I was looking for.

Thanks,

Nick

Quick Reply: Floorboard cracks repair ideas?