Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake fluid on drivers side floor(crossposted to 944turbo)

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 07:07 PM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Brake fluid on drivers side floor(crossposted to 944turbo)

Since I bought my car a year ago, I've had to add brake fluid every 2-3 months. I've been noticing that my clutch is starting to act up and this last weekend I noticed that the carpet on the drivers side floor is soaked with brake fluid. I haven't had time to tear it apart or even get into it to take a good look. Anyone else have something like this happen to them. What am I looking at in terms of repairs. Any ideas about getting the brake fluid out of the carpet after I fix whatever is leaking?
Old 02-25-2008, 07:11 PM
early85944
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is definetly a leaky clutch master cylinder. When I had this problem I took the carpet out and pressure washed it to get the brake fluid out. Good luck
Old 02-25-2008, 07:24 PM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yup clutch master cylinder. Seems like this has been happening a lot this year. Normally when you do the clutch master the slave is replaced with it. I had mine done last year after my pedal got permanently stuck to the floor. I had leaking fluid too. How is your clutch acting up?
Old 02-25-2008, 08:04 PM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Keithr726
yup clutch master cylinder. Seems like this has been happening a lot this year. Normally when you do the clutch master the slave is replaced with it. I had mine done last year after my pedal got permanently stuck to the floor. I had leaking fluid too. How is your clutch acting up?
It is very inconsistant. Sometimes I can get into reverse or first with no problems. Other times I've got to shift very very slowly or it grinds.

On a side note, I'm working in Walnut Creek next Mon-Wed and staying in Napa. I'm thinking of trying to hook up with the guys for Taco Tues. in Sacramento. You got plans Tues or Mon? I fly out Wed. So it doesn't work for me.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:31 PM
tod84944
Drifting

Time to change out the clutch maste cyl. If it hasn't gone completely, it will very very soon. Do master and slave at the same time.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:57 PM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by azbanks
It is very inconsistant. Sometimes I can get into reverse or first with no problems. Other times I've got to shift very very slowly or it grinds.

On a side note, I'm working in Walnut Creek next Mon-Wed and staying in Napa. I'm thinking of trying to hook up with the guys for Taco Tues. in Sacramento. You got plans Tues or Mon? I fly out Wed. So it doesn't work for me.
Might want to try a synthetic fluid in the tranny for the grinding, solved my problem.

I'm pretty much free every evening except next monday. I've never been to a taco tuesday, I'm up for it. My 951s wheel bearings are going out so its forced to stay in town. There are quite a few 951 owners here in napa, not to mention some very special 951s. PM me later on.
Old 02-25-2008, 09:24 PM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Keithr726
Might want to try a synthetic fluid in the tranny for the grinding, solved my problem.

I'm pretty much free every evening except next monday. I've never been to a taco tuesday, I'm up for it. My 951s wheel bearings are going out so its forced to stay in town. There are quite a few 951 owners here in napa, not to mention some very special 951s. PM me later on.

I need to do a fluid change just because of the mileage but I think my grinding is due to the clutch/fluid leak issue.
Old 02-25-2008, 11:44 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

If your master cyl was leaking, it wasn't producing the required pressure to FULLY disengage your clutch disk. That's why your gears would grind sometimes. Fresh fluid will definitely help but the core of the problem is just the stupid master cyl.

Keith - I forget if '86s have steel or aluminum trailing arms. If you have aluminum, I have the arnnworx tool for the wheel bearings, you can borrow it. If you have steel arms then I have a special tool for that as well you can borrow.
Old 02-26-2008, 03:02 AM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

Arash
Old 02-26-2008, 04:31 PM
Kburke
Racer

Originally Posted by azbanks
Since I bought my car a year ago, I've had to add brake fluid every 2-3 months. I've been noticing that my clutch is starting to act up and this last weekend I noticed that the carpet on the drivers side floor is soaked with brake fluid. I haven't had time to tear it apart or even get into it to take a good look. Anyone else have something like this happen to them. What am I looking at in terms of repairs. Any ideas about getting the brake fluid out of the carpet after I fix whatever is leaking?
i changed my master cylinder not to long ago you can go to paragon-products.com or pelican parts for the part the master cylinders are interchangeable between boosters. the job is really easy just remember to bleed the brakes and the master cylinder and dont get any brake fluid on the car as it will strip the paint!! <- very important Clarks-garage.com should have a procedure on how to do it good luck
Old 02-27-2008, 01:55 AM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Clutch master cylinder. Make sure you don't try to spin the shaft when you're putting the new one in, as this will tear the seals and make you get another one (ask me how I know... ).

So you'll make this taco tuesday? I'll be back at my parents' house 10min away from Walnut Creek this weekend, but will be in sac for the week. If you get out here on sunday sometime we should try to do a gtg or something.
Old 02-27-2008, 04:18 AM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by billthe3
Clutch master cylinder. Make sure you don't try to spin the shaft when you're putting the new one in, as this will tear the seals and make you get another one (ask me how I know... ).

So you'll make this taco tuesday? I'll be back at my parents' house 10min away from Walnut Creek this weekend, but will be in sac for the week. If you get out here on sunday sometime we should try to do a gtg or something.

Thanks for the heads up on the master cyl.

I'll be there for taco Tuesday. Just tell me where to meet you guys. I'd ask Juan but last time he sent me to an abandoned house.

He didn't really but I misunderstood his directions on my voice mail so I did go to a condemned house. When I got there, my first thought was, "That's just a cold thing to do to a guy". Then I re-listened to my messages and went to the right house.
Old 02-28-2008, 02:04 AM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Heh. There should be a thread in OT about it with the directions and whatnot. Actually, incase that doesn't get posted, here's the restraunt's address. Its maybe 10min south of juan's house.
http://rubios.know-where.com/rubios/...ng=en&mapid=US

Quick Reply: Brake fluid on drivers side floor(crossposted to 944turbo)