Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil pressure drop on sharp turns

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008 | 03:36 AM
cokeloop
Advanced

Default oil pressure drop on sharp turns

Is it normal that the oil pressure drops below 1 so the engine lamp lights up for a half a second when you turn kinda sharp at low speeds? Ive noticed this lately, as my driveway is an uphill ON a downhill, as I turn right and "hit" the uphill driveway from going downhill, the needle jumps to 0.5 bar and the engine light flashes... Same happens while i turn sharp in intersections, etc..
Old 02-08-2008 | 03:58 AM
joonas
Racer

Is your oil level near max mark?
Old 02-08-2008 | 04:08 AM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Check your oil level. You are probably down a quart or two.

And start checking it every time you get gas.
Old 02-08-2008 | 09:00 AM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yeh, um...

That's WAY not good for a street car. Like they said, check yur oil. That's a good thing to keep track of, Mate. Oil pressure is nice to have.. trust me.
Old 02-08-2008 | 09:03 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

-low oil- really low
-possible cracked pickup tube- been known to happen

usually this is something that happens only when on the track w/ track tires pulling some good g's.
Old 02-08-2008 | 09:24 AM
cokeloop
Advanced

ill check later on when i get home, my hood popper is cracked off so need to use a plyer or something to pull the wire

I notice it also drops fast when i hit the brakes hard..
Old 02-08-2008 | 12:51 PM
Calmchaos
Rennlist Member

That was happening in my car last year.... And the #2 rod bearing spun less than 3 weeks later.
So yeah... keep an eye on that!

Oh and it should drop SOME when you hit the brakes hard because your revs are dropping, but it shouldn't drop all crazy like.
Old 02-08-2008 | 01:00 PM
cokeloop
Advanced

stopped at a gas station on the way to my parents house after like 30 minutes driving, finally popped the hood, measured the oil, and the stick was DRY!!!

barely ANY OIL AT ALL!! :O

så filled around a gallon of oil, this killed the ticking while i drive too, wasnt a valve-problem anyways i gues...

So, oil is leaking from somewhere, 3 weeks ago it was at the minimun-bar on the stick, i smell expences... :/
Old 02-08-2008 | 01:13 PM
Mamooguy
Three Wheelin'

Have a look at the seals, but it's probably not worth fixing unless it's a severe leak. Barring that, lay in a case of oil and keep a few jugs in the trunk to keep the level in the happy zone. That's what I do!
Old 02-08-2008 | 01:18 PM
Calmchaos
Rennlist Member

Yup I keep a jug behind my seat! LOL I check my oil just about every other day depending on how far I've driven.
Old 02-08-2008 | 01:19 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Dood;

Get with it here, eh? Either get your act together or do the car a favor and SELL IT before you DESTROY IT.

You should be embarrassed...
Old 02-08-2008 | 01:23 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by xsboost90
-low oil- really low
-possible cracked pickup tube- been known to happen

usually this is something that happens only when on the track w/ track tires pulling some good g's.
Good theory;

But, G-forces will not do it. they fail from vibration. High RPM use for extended periods of time. Failed motor mounts driven way past their prime. Then, the racer boyz that are running solid motor mounts and no balance shafts.

Good thing to check on for sure.
Old 02-08-2008 | 01:53 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

^^ I think dan meant that people usually only see the oil light come on while on the track, during high g loads... not a suggestion of why pickup tubes crack.
Old 02-08-2008 | 02:30 PM
pjburges
Burning Brakes

I always carry an extra quart behind my seat. I like to keep my oil topped off so there is no risk of the g-force oil starvation if I drive it hard. My engine burns about a quart of oil over a couple months of frequent driving. Its over 100K so I suspect it must burn it through the valve guides or around the piston rings. I know that I have a small leak on the back of the lower balance shaft, but it weeps, doesnt really leak.

The 944 likes its oil like a sailor like his rum=). If it goes without oil long though its a grenade! So watch that religiously along with your timing belt and water pump.
Old 02-08-2008 | 02:51 PM
joonas
Racer

Originally Posted by cokeloop
So, oil is leaking from somewhere, 3 weeks ago it was at the minimun-bar on the stick, i smell expences... :/
Minimum is bad. It is more than quart between min and max mark.

You SHOULD keep the oil level near the max mark all the time. I think that you have early car (pre 85.5). Later 944 has oil level warning light that comes on if oil level is between min and max mark or little lower.

User manual says

Checking oil level

To get a true reading, the car should be on level ground. After turning off the engine, wait a few minutes for the oil to return to the oil sump.

1. Pull out dipstick and wipe it dry with a clean cloth or paper towel.

2. Reinsert dipstick: push it in all the way down for an accurate reading.

3. Pull dipstick out again. The oil level is correct if it is between the "max" and "min" marks on the dipstick.

4. If oil level is below "min" mark, or not showing on dipstick, add oil immediately.

The difference between the "max" and "min", marks is about 1 U.S. quart or 1 liter.

Quick Reply: oil pressure drop on sharp turns