Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loose harness - can I tighten more?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008 | 12:26 PM
gizmozoid
Instructor

Default Loose harness - can I tighten more?

I just got a set of fixed buckets and a Sparco 4pt harness. I installed the lap belt by bolting to the seat bracket, routing through the holes on the sides of the seat to the seat bracket on the other side. I've pulled both sides in as tight as possible, and also pulled the excess strap next to the buckle in as much as I can. Yet there's still several inches of space left.

Did I do something wrong? Are belts one size fits all seats or did they ship me an extra-large one? It's not like I have a 14" waist.

Any ideas on how to tighten more, is it even possible? Or do I need to exchange for another belt?
Old 02-07-2008 | 12:31 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Your harnesses should be bolted to the tunnel and backed by large washers, and not the seat bracket itself. On the drivers side it will attach to the existing seatbelt mount on the body.
Old 02-07-2008 | 12:33 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Got pics of both ends of the belts and the mounting points?

Are you planning on using those 4-points at the track?
Old 02-07-2008 | 01:13 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey;

Like Doc said, you should mount to the sills on both sides. That may be part of your problem. The angle at which the belt projects through the seat hole will influence how it can be tightened. Too close or too far from the seat and you will not get optimum performance.

So too does the position of the cinches. If they are very close to the latch terminal, then you will have an easier time getting them tight. If there is a bit of free belt length between the latch and the cinch that puts the cinch too near the seat hole, you will have a very tough time getting them tight.

As Shiner infers, your 4-point system likely will not be allowed at a PCA DE, if that is your intended venue. You are free to do as you wish, of course, but just be aware of that.

I suggest you spend a lot of time reading the Schroth installation manual. It is the best resource (besides myself ) for information on how to properly configure a belt system.

You will be finding out that it is NOT easy. Sounds like you are on the cusp of figuring that out right now!
Old 02-07-2008 | 01:57 PM
krystar
Drifting

are schrothe rallye 4's allowed in HPDE? even though they're 4pts?
Old 02-07-2008 | 01:59 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

schroth harnesses are allowed by PCA/DE IF they are made for that car such as the 4pt system for the BMW's. I have an email out to the DE chair for PCNA to see if he can give me some more specific details on the regulation.
Old 02-07-2008 | 03:41 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by krystar
are schrothe rallye 4's allowed in HPDE? even though they're 4pts?
From National PCA:

https://www.pca.org/members/library/...0Amendment.pdf

Keep in mind Regional rules may be more stringent than National's and not allow the use of ANY 4 point system.

I am not sure if this is the manual Redlineman was referring to, but lots of good reading can be found here: http://www.metronypca.org/Technical/...ics%20rev2.pdf
Old 02-07-2008 | 07:36 PM
krystar
Drifting

sounds like aftermarket seats with rallye 4 wouldn't be allowed.
Old 02-07-2008 | 10:24 PM
gizmozoid
Instructor

Thanks for the info. Guess I'll be drilin'. So the seat bracket is for the stock belt, and I'd need to extend the harness back to the floor? The instructions weren't very clear unfortunately.

I'm doing some non-PCA DEs that allow stock belts. The harness I got was temporary, I was planning to upgrade later this season and use this for the passenger seat. I wanted to use the harness since the stock lap belt was a little higher because they have to go over the bucket instead of through the holes. Guess I'm stuck this time around.

How hard is it to drill? Do I just need one mounting kit? Any words of advice? Photos?
Old 02-08-2008 | 12:36 AM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gizmozoid

How hard is it to drill? Do I just need one mounting kit? Any words of advice? Photos?
Most people use this cutout in the reinforcing plate to locate the inner lap belt mount. There shouldn't be anything behind it, but double check to be sure before drilling.
Attached Images  
Old 02-08-2008 | 09:05 AM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by shiners780
Most people use this cutout in the reinforcing plate to locate the inner lap belt mount.
Yeh;

But it's not necessarily in the right spot. Like I said, read the Schroth manual. One of the topics you will find is belt angles. You need angles within a certain range to get optimum performance. Many times using the stock point WILL give you decent numbers. However, if you are short or tall it may not.

I probably move about 60-70% of the belt mount points I setup in track cars so that they are in the right place.
Old 02-09-2008 | 07:45 PM
gizmozoid
Instructor

Thanks guys! I'll check out the Schroth manual.

Can I bolt the outside of the lapbelt to the stock point and keep the stock belt? It's only a couple inches past the mounting point from the seat bracket.
Old 02-10-2008 | 08:57 AM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gizmozoid
Thanks guys! I'll check out the Schroth manual.

Can I bolt the outside of the lapbelt to the stock point and keep the stock belt? It's only a couple inches past the mounting point from the seat bracket.
Yes;

As long as it gives you good geometry, it will work. I usually use the stock type shoulder bolt. I retain the 3-point belt on the shoulder so it will rotate as normal. I trap the harness mount plate in place against the rocker sill. You need to sit in the seat, belted in, and have someone set the proper angle of the belt plate so that the belt pulls straight off of it, and then tighten it. This will make sure it is at the proper angle when being worn. This is about the best you can do.

I've always wanted to find those bolts with deeper shoulders on them!

Quick Reply: Loose harness - can I tighten more?