Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

starting problem 83' 944

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 11:24 PM
porschefig
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EDIT: NEW starting problem 83' 944

Turn key on (nothing) off... on (nothing) off.... on (PURRRRRR)

Starts right up!

Is a random start issue like this a....Starter? Cable? Relay?

EDIT: New problem! EDIT

I took the starter apart and it was filthy and the brushes, etc were covered in corrosion. Cleaned it all up and my car started great for a few weeks.

Ordered a new starter right away and it just got here today. Installed it and the starter would turn but wouldn't engage with the flywheel. Took it back off and had it tested at a local parts store (saw the teeth move forward as they would to engage the flywheel in the tester) Back at home, checked voltage at the battery, at the end of the starter cable, and at the end of the switched starter cable while someone tried to start the car. Checked for continuity across all the fuse and replaced a few that were looking old. Searched for info on a related relay: found none???
Finally decided to try "jumping" the starter, connected a wire to the main terminal on the back of the solenoid. Reconnected the battery and reached under (car on jack stands) and touched the wire directly to the switched terminal.

Same as before, starter turns but makes no attempt to engage w/ the flywheel....even though I saw it do it on the tester....

I'm at a loss and I'm leaving it alone for the night... Hopefully someone has an idea?

Last edited by porschefig; 02-24-2008 at 12:59 AM.
Old 02-06-2008, 01:39 PM
porschefig
Three Wheelin'

"Nothing" means it doesn't crank at all.. There is a bit of constant humming noise but nothing else happens.
Old 02-06-2008, 01:44 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 106 Posts

Could be a couple of things. From what you describe that there is a humming sound when you turn the key, but the starter doesn't engage, it sounds like the starter solenoid is sticking. You will need to remove the starter, disassemble the starter solenoid, and relube it. It probably is all dried out and sticks when trying to engage.

The other source of your problem could be from a ignition switch going bad.
Old 02-06-2008, 01:50 PM
AKCJ
Instructor

I would check those battery cable connections. Could be something simple like that.

Could the constant humming noise be the ventilation fan? Don't think it would be the fuel pump but that may be a possiblity although I thought the pump was not constant on with the key on.

DME or Relay? Ignition switch?

Just throwing things out.
Old 02-06-2008, 01:51 PM
AKCJ
Instructor

What's the voltage on your battery?
Old 02-07-2008, 12:50 AM
porschefig
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by StoogeMoe
You will need to remove the starter, disassemble the starter solenoid, and relube it. It probably is all dried out and sticks when trying to engage.

The other source of your problem could be from a ignition switch going bad.
Guess I'll have to try the Clark's garage test of "jump starting" the starter to figure out which one?

How long does the solenoid fix usually last?

Guess I better check some more things out tomorrow..
Old 02-07-2008, 02:34 AM
944obscene
Three Wheelin'

Have someone try to start it while YOU listen for the noise. Isolate it and see if its the starter.
Old 02-24-2008, 01:01 AM
porschefig
Three Wheelin'

BUMP!
Old 02-24-2008, 01:12 AM
porschefig
Three Wheelin'

Forgot to add. I thought perhaps my mulitmeter is inaccurate the battery isn't supplying enough voltage to engage the flywheel. So I tried jumpstarting the car w/ the same results. Starter just spins..
Old 02-24-2008, 09:38 AM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 354 Posts

You have the wrong starter.
Old 02-24-2008, 09:18 PM
porschefig
Three Wheelin'

Case is def. the same, teeth are the same, plastic cap on the solenoid was slightly different shape... but.... I did go take it back and they're going to send me an Autolite one (that's actually cheaper than the no-name brand starter they sold me before.
Old 02-24-2008, 09:20 PM
porschefig
Three Wheelin'

Anyone know what relay (if any) is on the starter circuit? I couldn't find a relay list on Clark's garage, or in a Hayne's book.
Old 02-25-2008, 03:39 AM
porschefig
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jim 7
You have the wrong starter.
Put the old starter back in and it started again.. For some reason I think the *next* rebuilt starter isn't going to work much better...
Old 02-25-2008, 10:30 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I believe i had the same problem a few weeks ago. Turn the key and get nothing except an ominous humming sound. Battery was charged and is good and everything worked as it should other than the fact the starter did not engage. No click, no anything. I had the problem once before, tapped on the starter and it fired right up. Same happened again a few weeks later, tapped on starter and nothing. Tapped harder..still nothing. The hum was not the starter spinning, so the solenoid was not the problem..im guessing it was the fuel pump.

I wasted an entire day testing everything. I checked all wiring, battery cables and tested the starter off the car. Everything worked as it should. I tested the ignition switch as per the directions on ClarksGarage and it tested fine also. I replaced it for good measure (PITA)..and the car starts fine again. Im not sure exactly what the problem was as there was nothing that tested bad. I have a feeling it was an intermittent failure with the ignition switch as they are known to go bad and mine was original (had 928 part #, new ones are superseded to 964 part #) with a little over 100k miles on it.

Also not all rebuilt starters come with new solenoids.

Quick Reply: starting problem 83' 944