Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I have $1k to spend on my 944 (parts)....need advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 11:50 PM
BlackOp
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I have $1k to spend on my 944 (parts)....need advice

I'm allocating a grand (taxes) to my 944 n/a. Cosmetically it doesnt need anything and runs perfect. Already did the timing belt....so what would be a good place for preventative improvements. Dont care about wheels or high performance additions.....just want my baby to last. It has 76k.

Thanks

BO

Last edited by BlackOp; 02-03-2008 at 12:23 AM.
Old 02-03-2008, 12:06 AM
bluedevil
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tires.....no I am sure those are fine, what about coolent hoses and making sure all the rubber parts are in good condition. Last thing you want is to have a rubber part fail due to age under the hood.
OR
Ditch the stock fuel lines and go with metal or a lindey fuel system so your engine does not catch on fire. I like mine?

Have fun and good luck,
Old 02-03-2008, 12:12 AM
BlackOp
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bluedevil
Tires.....no I am sure those are fine, what about coolent hoses and making sure all the rubber parts are in good condition. Last thing you want is to have a rubber part fail due to age under the hood.
OR
Ditch the stock fuel lines and go with metal or a lindey fuel system so your engine does not catch on fire. I like mine?

Have fun and good luck,
Yeah, I've been seeing pictures of fire extinguishers in posters cars. What is this about? Was going to make a thread.....thats f@cked up.
Old 02-03-2008, 12:42 AM
Erzengal
Burning Brakes

Suspension.
A nice set of Koni Yellows, maybe some sways?

As for the Fire Extinguishers, I have one too! The old stock lines have dried out and cracked on a few peoples cars leading to picturesque, however unfortunate accidents, so some people replace them with new, better built lines.

Better lighting from Travis' Relay Harness... if he gets them back in-stock *cough* with an H4 Light Upgrade if not done already.

Another thing is to simply put the money in savings for when you need it later, but thats not quite as fun.
Old 02-03-2008, 01:34 AM
BlackOp
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Erzengal
Suspension.
A nice set of Koni Yellows, maybe some sways?

As for the Fire Extinguishers, I have one too! The old stock lines have dried out and cracked on a few peoples cars leading to picturesque, however unfortunate accidents, so some people replace them with new, better built lines.

Better lighting from Travis' Relay Harness... if he gets them back in-stock *cough* with an H4 Light Upgrade if not done already.

Another thing is to simply put the money in savings for when you need it later, but thats not quite as fun.
Yeah, plan on replacing my cluster with white LED...they are starting to dim. The fuel line replacement is interesting...is it expensive? Watching my car burn would cost me well over $1K in therapy.
Old 02-03-2008, 01:38 AM
Mamooguy
Three Wheelin'

A cheap upgrade is replacement vacuum lines. You could also throw in suspension items like shocks and springs. A new seat, maybe? Or a hot stereo. Or a paint job.
Old 02-03-2008, 01:45 AM
BlackOp
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mamooguy
Or a hot stereo. Or a paint job.
Just bought Infinity Kappa/Alpine 4x6....JVC makes a cool head unit. Can program it to match the yellow interior lights and has a USB input. It looks great in my 86 BMW...the orange aircraft theme

Maybe the DME? I'm not a mechanic and dont have access to a garage. Just want to make sound decisions based on peoples experience.

Last edited by BlackOp; 02-03-2008 at 03:29 AM.
Old 02-03-2008, 11:34 AM
DMB14
Racer

Get one of those cool head units with the pop out LCD and DVD player and sat-nav.
Old 02-03-2008, 01:36 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The above posters have nailed some of the basics... great use of a grand frankly.

First, what year is your car... that will make a small dif in my list but:

Vacuum lines - $50
Fuel lines incl jumper - $200
Rear konis - $250

Couple other great options for the last $500

Front shocks - easier if it is an early (no mods, no alignment)
968 caster blocks - tighter front suspension
serge's drop links - for rear sway bar
New battery cables - negative and ground
Lighting wiring harness
E code headlights
Old 02-03-2008, 01:54 PM
Wipeout
Not Special
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just to echo everybody else...

Vacuum lines
Fuel lines is probably a great idea
Light harness
e-code headlights (want to know why? Read the article in my link)

While some of us have the extinguishers for our cars, it's also there if someone else is on fire too. :P
Old 02-03-2008, 01:58 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Did someone mention buy a Turbo?
Old 02-03-2008, 02:13 PM
951_for_John
Instructor

Hmmm What about the rubber brake hoses??When was the last time they where replaced? upgrade them to braided flex lines.

My next votes would be for lighting, H4 E-code lights and the LED inst. lamp upgrade.

Once you have the Euro lamps you'll never be happy with the US spec lights again.

all of this could be listed as safety items as well.

Good Luck, John
Old 02-03-2008, 03:49 PM
John_AZ
Proprietoristicly Refined
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

BlackOp,
Shocks if you still have OE, Check all rubber on control arms and suspension. Have you rebuilt your brake calipers? OR-if you still have the rubber clutch disk, put the money in the bank and wait for it to self distruct. I just replaced mine on a 1988 924S with 57K miles-drove home in 3rd for 15 miles when it happened.
Motor Mounts-a OEM pair and fittings will cost about $200 now-20% of your money.
Heater control valve and "J" short hose to engine-$30. If yours has a crusty white deposit or leaks, the fluid drips into the bell housing and this is not good...
Good luck,
John_AZ

Last edited by John_AZ; 02-04-2008 at 04:15 PM. Reason: Added motor mounts and heater control valve
Old 02-03-2008, 04:47 PM
Mamooguy
Three Wheelin'

You could also look into a rebuild ... replace every seal possible. Maybe flush the coolant and replace the hoses.

A replacement DME is a good idea, but that's peanuts. Buy it, stick it in the glove compartment just in case.

There's also powdercoating to consider ...
Old 02-03-2008, 05:07 PM
JayVee
Rennlist Member

How about a Garmin GPS, and then use what's left over to take some nice drives and overnight stays to test the gadget out. Or how about plugs, wires, cap, rotor, oil change, oil filter, fuel filter, air filter, cabin filters, halogen fog light bulbs, and brighter dash bulbs. Or maybe a 928 Leather Shop hood pad, new coolant expansion tank, caliper paint & decals, and......FR Wilk PowerPROM II, Paragon throttle cam, K&N air filter, Koni yellow shocks/struts, 17" Porsche rims, Toyo Proxes, Sachs spring clutch, Hella H4 headlights w/ PIAA extreme bulbs, Ice Shark tail light upgrade and aux ground cable, Blaupunkt MP3000 w/ Zender antenna, Momo steering wheel, and rocker stripes... That's what I'd do.

Quick Reply: I have $1k to spend on my 944 (parts)....need advice