Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Well, I'm making an attempt at a hatch reseal...

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008 | 10:50 AM
joonas
Racer

http://clarks-garage.com/phpBB2/view...t=hatch+reseal

Download Word file!
Old 04-30-2008 | 04:06 PM
alordofchaos
Rennlist Member

Bump - for an update?
Old 04-30-2008 | 07:37 PM
Got Me a Porsha
Racer

Just an FYI:

I spoke with several glass shops while searching for someone to reseal my hatch. Although nobody would would even pause before saying "NO", I picked up several tips along the way that paid off when I resealed it myself.

*Once the frame is removed, clean and sand the channel COMPLETELY, and primer it with the best primer you can afford, preferably a "real" epoxy, or an etching primer. The "primer" component to whatever adhesive you use will not adhere well to bare metal.

*The black adhesive "primer" can also be used to create a "fret" around the edge of the glass, reducing the UV destruction of the adhesive bond. I masked the entire perimeter of the glass, and swabbed the primer on the glass. It also makes an attractive border which hides the glue from sight. Use the adhesive "primer" on both the glass and the frame before gluing.

*Clean, clean, clean everything before gluing. Make sure everything is spotless.

*Solid-core MIG welding wire, wood shims, and a few cheap extendable razor knives take some of the headache out of separating the frame. Wrap the wire around two small screwdriver handles and slowly saw through the old sealant. It's easier when warm. Follow every few inches with a wood shim, keeping a little bit of tension on the frame. DO AT YOUR OWN RISK! I did this after a brand new tint job, and it survived. Blue painters tape over the tint works well.

I hope this helps you. I found it to be a miserable, but quite rewarding experience, and hope to never do it again!
Old 05-01-2008 | 01:00 AM
WHAMspeed
Instructor

89951Dreamer...

I need to do the same with mine hatch and have been following this thread. How is the reseal holding up now that it has been a few months?
Old 05-01-2008 | 01:27 AM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

I've talked to 3 different glass shops, and not one has said no. ever. they quoted $150.00, and will not guarantee that the glass won't break, and say I must sign something saying that they are not liable for a shattered hatch, but nobody has turned me away.

Then one of em broke my mirror re-gluing it to the backing plate... luckily it was a free job and I was planning on replacing it anyway, not expecting the repair to hold... they cut a new mirror, and it was too thick and it looked like ***, so I just got a new one to throw on there. I probably won't go to them unless I get the best glass guy they have working on it. another guy just seemed like a shade ball so I'm stayin away from him, the third guy seemed cool about it.

Quick Reply: Well, I'm making an attempt at a hatch reseal...