Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter checks out OK at Autozone , but not in car

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 07:53 PM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Starter checks out OK at Autozone , but not in car

OK, I had starter issues recently. Orginal one died (only made a hum noise) and replaced it with a used one. The replacement worked fine but died after a few days.

I bought a starter rebuild kit and rebuilt the starter and got it checked at autozone. They say it works fine. I also recently replaced all the battery/ground cables/terminals throughout the car. Battery is about a month and a half old

I still only get a "hum" when I turn the key. When I get under the car and jumper the terminals with a screw driver , I get a "click" and hear the fuel pump run and the turbo waterpump run after.

When the first starter failed , nothing happened when I jumpered the terminals. Same when the replacement failed. Now I'm getting the hum with the rebuilt orginal (that tests OK)

anyone have any suggestions?
Old 01-23-2008, 08:17 PM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

weird...if you replaced all the cables...is that when the problem began? If you had not said you crawled under the car and jumped the terminals, I'd say starter switch.....

But then again...you're only hearing a click when you jump the terminals.....something else must be going on....either mis-wired or a bad connection is my guess.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:29 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

get a 24mm socket and see if the motor turns manually.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:46 PM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Dan...if you're thinking that....well....better check just to be sure!
Old 01-23-2008, 08:47 PM
marky522
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would check your wiring, make sure you have a constant 12V at the large lug, and with the small lug disconnected check for 12v there with the ign turned. If both of these check out, it could only be a bad starter, or you have the wires connected to it wrong.

Mark
Old 01-23-2008, 10:25 PM
AznDrgn
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Easily overlooked but do you have a good ground to the block?
Old 01-23-2008, 10:45 PM
F18Rep
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just thinking.... I think you're saying the solenoid is not throwing. Side note: I have found that a rebuilt starter (from places like autozone) do not necesarily come with a new solenoid. Its suspicious that you would have two solenoids go bad though and the ground suggesion is, I think , a good starting point (ar). Beyond that I guess I would drill those solenoid mounting screws (I think you mentioned that they were no longer removable in an earlier post) and get a good peek for rust or some other kind of restriction.
If worst comes to worst a VW solenoid will work with a small modfication to one of the wires - some info here. The VW solenoid costs like $50 bucks so not eeezacly a great idea....bruce
Old 01-24-2008, 12:03 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

bad ground to the block is a good call. Try putting a jumper cable on the block somewhere then to the battery ground just to see.
Old 01-24-2008, 03:58 AM
oreo5665
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would the fuel pump run with a bad ground if he is jumping the terminals?
Old 01-24-2008, 10:14 AM
AznDrgn
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by oreo5665
Would the fuel pump run with a bad ground if he is jumping the terminals?
Should run fine, fuel pump pulls power off of the fuse panel through the DME relay and has very low amperage draw compared to the starter.
Old 01-24-2008, 10:53 AM
wesmc3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sure you checked this, but have you tried turning it over while jump starting it. I had this happen in my '86 last week. seemed to have a good charge, no reason to be down, didn't "click" like a low batt usually does, hooked up the charger and she turned right over.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:10 AM
AX993
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Hi Mike,
I'm no expert, but maybe try a different/ known-to-be-good DME relay, if nothing else to just rule it out.
When I've had starter problems it always happens when the car was at operating temp. I believe that these starters have a known failure mode where as they will bind internally when hot, but still work when cold .
Good Luck,
Glenn '88 944S
Old 01-27-2008, 12:48 PM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Thanks for the advice guys

I installed the starter from my N/A the other day.
I think what is killing my starters is the fact its running after the car starts... I assume thats a wiring problem? When I bench test the starters they work normally.. any ideas on what would prevent them from dis engaging the flywheel?

Today I will be replacing the entire starter harness with a new (used, but very clean one) one in case I made a mistake when I made a new harness.
Old 01-27-2008, 01:02 PM
Moe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 263 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Markota

I think what is killing my starters is the fact its running after the car starts... I assume thats a wiring problem? When I bench test the starters they work normally.. any ideas on what would prevent them from dis engaging the flywheel?

Today I will be replacing the entire starter harness with a new (used, but very clean one) one in case I made a mistake when I made a new harness.
This may be something worth checking... I thought I had Starter Issues a couple years ago... Start sometimes, sometimes not, then one day it started and would not shut off with engine running... Turn Key to "Off", Starter kept on trying to turn motor over... Disconnected the Neg. Cable to stop it...

Replaced the Ignition Switch... (the electrical part) What a PITA... but that solved the "problem"... I took out the driver's seat...
Old 01-29-2008, 12:11 AM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Markota

If the wiring is messed up it could be keeping the solenoid powered which would not allow the motor to turn off.

Did you rebuild the solenoid? It sounds like that could be the issue.

Quick Reply: Starter checks out OK at Autozone , but not in car