Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

968 rear beam into 83 944 problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008 | 01:17 PM
ihatesissycars
Track Day

Default 968 rear beam into 83 944 problems

Hi guys,

I'm hoping you chaps may be able to help me ref a problem I've made for myself with my 83 narrow track 944.

The rear beam.

Instead of swapping in some stiffer torsion bars I simply got hold of a complete beam form a 968 club sport.

It was only when I cam to do up the last couple of bolts I found a problem. Where the trailing arms bolt to the beam you have two bolts and one eccentric to adjust the rear camber.

The bolt holes on the 968 are further apart. I had to make up some plates so that I could bolt the two securely together which worked but now I'm left with alot of rear camber (top edge of wheels is angle inwards and the bottoms out) and I'm certain the wheels are toeing out slightly which makes for interesting handling.

I tried going thru the full 360 degrees of movement on the eccentrics to dial it out but had no luck, I've simply turned them so that they have the least amount of camber.

I'm a bit stuck as to what to do?

Is the CS supposed to have alot of rear camber?

Can you adjust the toe seperately to the camber?

Would fitting some ally trailing arms from the corresponding car fix this and if so would I still eb able to fit my cup 1 rear wheels which have a different offset to later cars?

Should I bury me head in the sand and hope it goes away?

Ref fitting ally arms and the potential problems with a wider track and my wheels sticking out too far the present wheels aren't spacers'd. Only the original porsche spacers are on the car which it came with, these were there when I had its original cookie cuttters on it I didn't add those to fit the cup1's

Here's some pics of the rear end.

The wheels are a bit of an anomally, they're cup 1 wheels but with an offset to suit an early car.

Will they stick out too far if I fit the arms?

Any other bits I'd need to fit the arms if they're the answer?

Ta!

Gavin
Old 01-20-2008 | 04:53 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Yeah I'm pretty sure you need to get some late trailing arms. It will change your offset to late offset so you won't be able to fit those aftermarket cup 2 replicas.

But you can sell the wheels and buy a set with the right offset (factory OR another set of replicas). If you opt for factory wheels they will be the lightest 17" wheel available! Good luck.

Quick Reply: 968 rear beam into 83 944 problems