Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad 968 Fuel Pump... Again...

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 05:47 PM
Moe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 263 Likes on 167 Posts
Default Bad 968 Fuel Pump... Again...

92' 968... 3 years ago, I replaced my bad fuel pump, fuel filter w/ check valve, fuel pressure regulator...
Looks like I'm gonna have to do the same thing again... Pump removed and just "thuds" with 12vdc applied...

I read where "Fuel Pumps are very reliable and it's usually something else that causes failure"...

What else is there?

As luck would have it, and now that I have a Full Tank, the only thing left is the Tank Strainer... I guess a slightly restricted fuel flow could ruin a fuel pump?
Old 01-17-2008, 06:20 PM
yellowline
Under the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a good used one for the 16V 944s and 968s. Car had 60,000 miles on it, and it was running when I removed the pump.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:37 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Moe
Tank Strainer... I guess a slightly restricted fuel flow could ruin a fuel pump?
That's what I was about to suggest.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:02 AM
AznDrgn
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Moe
92' 968... 3 years ago, I replaced my bad fuel pump, fuel filter w/ check valve, fuel pressure regulator...
Looks like I'm gonna have to do the same thing again... Pump removed and just "thuds" with 12vdc applied...

I read where "Fuel Pumps are very reliable and it's usually something else that causes failure"...

What else is there?

As luck would have it, and now that I have a Full Tank, the only thing left is the Tank Strainer... I guess a slightly restricted fuel flow could ruin a fuel pump?
Do the late tanks have strainers? but yes a restriction or dirt will ruin a pump. If you're buying a new pump check into the Pierburg(SP?) replacements, they use nylon or some sort of plastic roller that is supposedly quieter, longer lasting, and more forgiving to dirt.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:25 AM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn Moe. Stop feeding it crap fuel.. LOL

I've had 3 bad fuel pumps in a row (True, they were for a 98 Taurus) nontheless. Bad rebuilt --(even new) Fuel pumps do exist.
Old 01-18-2008, 01:18 PM
richard glickel.
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Moe,

Welcome to the club. I'm replacing the fuel pump on my racer that was installed (new) last April, which replaced a 6 mos old pump that quit on the track at Mid-Ohio. I'm hoping "3's the charm" and this latest pump will at least last a full race season.

Given the chronicity of my problem, it could be something other than the fuel pump, and if the pump we replace appears to be okay (I'm still replacing the part), you're welcomed to it - of course, I won't send it to you if I suspect it's failed or defective.

Ciao.
Old 01-18-2008, 02:40 PM
Moe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 263 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by richard glickel.
Moe,

Welcome to the club. I'm replacing the fuel pump on my racer that was installed (new) last April, which replaced a 6 mos old pump that quit on the track at Mid-Ohio. I'm hoping "3's the charm" and this latest pump will at least last a full race season.

Given the chronicity of my problem, it could be something other than the fuel pump, and if the pump we replace appears to be okay (I'm still replacing the part), you're welcomed to it - of course, I won't send it to you if I suspect it's failed or defective.

Ciao.
The cheapest one I can find, is from Pelican @ $235... There is one on E-Bay @ $99, but the dude has too much negative feedback, and no phone number...

If your pump is good, let me know what you want for it... I was gonna make a Pelican order later today... Heck, you may wanna hang on to it...

Thanks...
Old 01-18-2008, 03:40 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by richard glickel.
Moe,

Ciao.
Hey rich how much Hp are you pushing to the wheels?
Old 01-18-2008, 10:29 PM
richard glickel.
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Moe,

I won't know anything until sometime next week. Some of the parts (e.g., fuel pressure reg), arrived this week, we're still waiting for the fuel pump.

I really don't know what to ask for a used fuel pump. If you still need the part when we finally get around to removing it from my car (next week, hopefully), I'll p.m. you.

Prof,

Car dyno'd at 221 RWHP last June. The plan is to dyno the car again next week before and after the fuel system repair.

Quick Reply: Bad 968 Fuel Pump... Again...