Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gutting Interior - Advice Please

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008 | 12:31 PM
ronbo56
Instructor

Question Gutting Interior - Advice Please

Hi all --

I have an 86 944NA that I have been tracking and, this year, will be racing in 944 Cup. The car has a cage and racing seats with harnesses. I've done about as much as I can with the suspension and can't do much with the motor, so the next step is to put the car on a diet. My shop will handle things like deleting the AC and pruning the wiring harness, and they will gut the doors when they add the second door bar. But I want to do as much of the interior work as possible myself. Unfortunately, I'm completely inexperienced. So here are some (presumably stupid) questions:
  1. I'm guessing that the first step in all of this is to remove the seats and harnesses. Is there a way to do the interior with the front seats in place?
  2. How exactly does the rear seat come out? Is it one piece, like it looks, or several?
  3. What temp do I use on the heat gun to melt the gunk but not toast the car?
  4. What obvious questions am I forgetting to ask?

One of the things I love about this hobby is that I am learning so much. However, mistakes can be expensive as well as embarrassing so I'd appreciate any advice.

Thanks in advance,

Ron
Old 01-17-2008 | 01:40 PM
M758
Race Director

1. I'm guessing that the first step in all of this is to remove the seats and harnesses. Is there a way to do the interior with the front seats in place?

-----You can, but the seats come out easily and help you get most of the junk out.

2. How exactly does the rear seat come out? Is it one piece, like it looks, or several?

--------Top part is bolted in and bottom is just glued in.
  3. What temp do I use on the heat gun to melt the gunk but not toast the car?

-----I never used a heat gun. I scrapped what I could and left the rest. Chemicals alos work.
  4. What obvious questions am I forgetting to ask?

-----Are you pulling the dash too?
Old 01-17-2008 | 02:30 PM
Eric in Chicago
Three Wheelin'

Good luck with the glue!!! I had 40 hours into my interior "gunk" strip but I was prepping for a interior re paint so I had to get everything off and clean. I tried everything, wire wheels, goop off, heat gun ect. The best product was the 3M adhesive remover. It worked wonders and would have saved hours if I started with that first. Buy a gallon, you will probaly need it.
Old 01-17-2008 | 02:35 PM
UncleMaz
Nordschleife Master

Check out Genikz (Chris') spec build out site http://www.brooksbabies.com/porsche/. I plan on referencing it for mine. Good luck. Michael
Old 01-17-2008 | 03:14 PM
krystar
Drifting

took me and friend a ton of hours to get the glue off. but check out ace hardware. they have this paint and stain stripper. it comes in a box can and it's a gel. get a couple of industrial grade wire mesh scrubbers. maybe even some steel wool. a heavy duty work glove. and a big fan to keep the fumes from knocking you out.

after we cleaned out all the gunk, my friend rhinolined the interior. now it's nice and durable
Old 01-17-2008 | 05:53 PM
normansan
Advanced

Here's a DIY for removing the rear seat.

https://rennlist.com/forums/diy-924-931-944-951-968/216274-weight-reduction-project-rear-seat-delete.html

Quick Reply: Gutting Interior - Advice Please