Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radio wiring help needed.

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008 | 04:11 PM
t34418l31
Instructor

Default Radio wiring help needed.

So im trying to to wire up my blaupunkt cd player that i bought off ebay and i am having a little bit of trouble with the harness adapter i got from crutch field. the first picture is the cd player wiring harness, the second is the adapter harness, and the third is to show the original tape deck wiring.

the problem i am having is with the speak wiring. the original car harness only has outputs for left and right speakers, as seen in the third picture. the cd player has 4 speaker outputs as does the crutchfield adapter harness. so the cd player harness will wire up to the adapter harness but the adapter harness will not connect to the original car harness. my question is since the original car harness only has wiring for left and right speakers, do i splice the right speakers together and the left speakers together on the aftermarket harness and then connect them like that to the original. if this is wrong how should i got about wiring this up?
Attached Images    
Old 01-15-2008 | 04:23 PM
alex
Almost Addicted
Rennlist Member

Well, assuming you have 4 speakers: forget the crutchfield adapter, at least for the speakers. You can splice right into the speakers. Test them out with your stereo, 1 at a time and label them. You won't hurt the speakers.
Old 01-15-2008 | 04:27 PM
t34418l31
Instructor

ok, i will try that. also, what is the long gray cord on the left in the third picture for?
Old 01-15-2008 | 04:39 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Are you saying you only have one left and one right channel? That is strange.
Old 01-15-2008 | 05:24 PM
alex
Almost Addicted
Rennlist Member

Focus less on what the original head unit has coming out of it and more on what wires are inside your car. Speaker wires on these cars are brown/red and brown/(is there another color, I can't recall). Look for those.
Old 01-15-2008 | 06:18 PM
jpk
Burning Brakes

You don't mention if you have an early car or not, but I'll assume you do. Early cars only used 2-channel output from the stereo and used a seperate fader (The little dial just to the right of the gearshift). It's simple enough to abandon the factory fader and drive the four speakers directly from your new deck, or, you can simply use the front outputs of the new deck, hook it into the existing factory fader and you're good to go.

When I removed the fader, I found there was enough slack in the speaker leads to reach back into the radio slot and connect, it really wasn't very difficult to do.
Old 01-15-2008 | 07:20 PM
alex
Almost Addicted
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jpk
You don't mention if you have an early car or not, but I'll assume you do. Early cars only used 2-channel output from the stereo and used a seperate fader (The little dial just to the right of the gearshift). It's simple enough to abandon the factory fader and drive the four speakers directly from your new deck, or, you can simply use the front outputs of the new deck, hook it into the existing factory fader and you're good to go.

When I removed the fader, I found there was enough slack in the speaker leads to reach back into the radio slot and connect, it really wasn't very difficult to do.
^ how funny- in my early car I ran new speaker wire when I did it and put 6x8s in the back (stock locations, modified), so I never came across this problem.
Old 01-15-2008 | 09:10 PM
Kburke
Racer

i spent way to long trying to mess with the radio. i hooked it all up as diagrams told me just to fine out when i want more sound in the back it goes to the front or left to right i switch the wires around and the same thing happened. i said screw it im getting it professionally installed.

Quick Reply: Radio wiring help needed.