Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

replace sway bar bushings before or after alignment?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 01:25 PM
ZPmadA
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright bit of an update:
I replaced the bushings in my Weltmeister front sway bar the other day. I didn't adjust the linkage so I figured I just put it back in like it came out. The first linkage went in ok, but the second linkage needed to be forced inward (towards the engine) before the screw would line up. I figured this was normal since the sway bar should be pushing the wheels apart during hard cornering (to maintain negative camber). Once I attached the linkage ends of the sway bar, I screwed in the 2 mounts (4 screws). I pretty much was pushing and pulling the sawy bar until the holes fit.

I decided to detach just the top of my front struts to replace that foam gasket. This gasket goes on top of the strut mount to keep the engine bay free of dust. The driver's side strut falls down about 1/2 inch after the 4 bolts are removed, but the passenger side doesn't. I have to push down and hold it down by hand to install the gasket. When I let go the strut pushes itself back up against gravity. The driver's side did not do this.

I know the camber is off. When I removed both struts to have them rebuilt, I didn't mark the bottom two screws. That is why I need to align my wheels. Would the wrong camber cause one strut to work against gravity and the other strut fall? Or did I incorrectly install the sway bar and if so, how should it be installed?
Old 03-30-2008, 09:43 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 64 Posts

The struts pushing down different amounts can be a factor of the amount of pre-load you have in the rubber bushings... Is it possible that you also have a little twist in the sway bar?

Quick Reply: replace sway bar bushings before or after alignment?