Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 off-road rallying?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 12:59 PM
cie_lab
Billowing in the Wind
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944

GG noob.
haha...I have this model, unbuilt, sitting in my office.

as the O.P., this (and the Lancia and the 505) are the exact type of rallying I was referring to.

Otherwise, I would think RallyX or maybe even hillclimb would be a good venue for the 944/924 chassis.
Old 01-08-2008, 08:01 PM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 647 Likes on 409 Posts

you are forgettig THE best rally car there is ^^
http://www.myvideo.de/watch/492010

check out ECV, Rallying's equivalent of Star Wars
http://homepage.virgin.net/shalco.com/lancia_gp_s.htm
Old 02-06-2018, 01:59 AM
pinncushion
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Rich Sandor
BTW, I'm sorry to say it, but I don't think 924/944's make great Rally cars. As much fun as they are to drive, an AWD would be 10000000000x faster.
This statement couldn't be more wrong! First of all I have rallied a 944 for 6 years now and they are almost bullet proof. And second 90% of rally drivers start in 2wd vehicles. AWD is cool and all but you need to learn on fwd or Rwd first to learn proper control of a car.. Trail braking, set ups, Scandinavian flick, etc. The 944 has been such a great platform that now there are at least 3 on stages and I know of 9 or 10 builds that will be on stage soon.
Old 02-06-2018, 02:03 AM
pinncushion
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Luis de Prat
While I agree that 944s are not the best rally cars, I wouldn't be so harsh. The 944 chassis was developed for prototype endurance racing (e.g. Le Mans). To this day, they still give the 911 and other more modern cars a run for their money on the track.
I run with BMW E30s and E36s, Subaru BRZs, and have beat STIs head to head with my little 140hp rwd 944 that is mostly stock. It had a few suspension upgrades but other than that it is the same as it came off the showroom floor...
Old 02-06-2018, 02:13 AM
pinncushion
8th Gear

Originally Posted by greenshoes3
Lancia Delta Integrale > Anything Audi has ever or will ever build. On the topic of rallying a 924/944, I don't think it is a good idea. There are many other cars that would be cheaper and better to do it. The 944 will end up becoming a money pit to beat something cheaper like it always does.
6 years, 4 trees, 21 stage rallies, zero rollovers and I am less than $5000 in the original purchase, full cage build, suspension and all repairs. I am competitive in the largest class which is 2wd, under 3.0 liter, N/A with all open modifications acceptable. The 944 is the perfect entry level rally car! They are available for less than $1000, parts are everyplace and getting cheaper every day!
The following users liked this post:
Idoeyes (01-13-2020)
Old 02-06-2018, 02:22 AM
pinncushion
8th Gear

Originally Posted by cie_lab
I've always had a thing for rally racing. Has anyone rallied a 944?
There was this one guy...

Old 02-06-2018, 08:06 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 524 Posts

Pinn - I was wondering if you would ever find this place. I chatted with you for a second at STPR in 2013. I have 5+ 944s and one will be built into a RallyCross car (maybe even this year). There's a thread I started a year or so ago (that hasn't been updated in quite a while) that will document the build. Unfortunately/ fortunately, I have a huge list of other projects that need to be completed first.

We have RallyCrossed 944s for more than ten years now. Maybe I'll throw more pics of them, in action, up here - if I get a request...

Welcome to the list!

Anyway, you may not remember me - but you may have seen the car I drove....

Old 02-06-2018, 11:06 AM
pinncushion
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Scott at Team Harco
Pinn - I was wondering if you would ever find this place. I chatted with you for a second at STPR in 2013. I have 5+ 944s and one will be built into a RallyCross car (maybe even this year). There's a thread I started a year or so ago (that hasn't been updated in quite a while) that will document the build. Unfortunately/ fortunately, I have a huge list of other projects that need to be completed first.

We have RallyCrossed 944s for more than ten years now. Maybe I'll throw more pics of them, in action, up here - if I get a request...

Welcome to the list!

Anyway, you may not remember me - but you may have seen the car I drove....

I do remember the car. Thanks . I'm not much is a forum guy. I actually was looking for Bilstein suspension and happened across this page last night. When in saw how many people think that 944s would be bad rally cars I had to say something. Lol.. My car has been awesome! I wish there were more out there. Maybe we could do a "944 Rally Cup" Class!! I have 11 of them right now. I am also building a new rally car just because I feel that I have suspension figured out and want to build everything properly in a new car. The old car is still up and running and will probably be available to rent at events is anyone would like to see how good these cars are. Anyway, have a great day!
Old 02-10-2018, 06:17 PM
kghaas
Racer

Received 143 Likes on 57 Posts

I woul'd love to see some pictures from underneat your car Pinncushion. Do you have a gearbox protection? Where are your fixing point for the engine protection?
I am doing a light resto of a Historic 931. It is not classed for special stages, only for historic endurance events and has run the Rally Monte Carlo Historique 4 times. It has an engine protection plate, but I am moving the fixing Points. I dont have a gearbox protection but some of the cars that run special stages do.

My car:
Old 02-12-2018, 01:07 AM
Noahs944
Race Car

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts

I only have experience with the 944 non turbo as a gravel fun car and TSD rally car (TSD for only a handful of events). In my amateur view the 944 or 924 is very fun, but my suspension set up was stock & I found the rear suspension bottoms out a lot (damaging the chassis even when going lighter than the course demanded). I think raising the ride height is a very good idea and also increasing the spring rate. If you are caging the car, I'd suggest beefing up the suspension locating point, if the rules allow. Once that's done, it'll be great. However, any of the run of the mill rally type cars are easier to get trick parts for and have the major bonus of mail order suspension kits & many people who are knowledgeable on the subject. Recently, I determined my next rally type car will not be a 944, though I will keep found memories close to heart.
Old 02-12-2018, 01:11 AM
Noahs944
Race Car

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts

Old 02-12-2018, 01:23 AM
pinncushion
8th Gear

Originally Posted by kghaas
I woul'd love to see some pictures from underneat your car Pinncushion. Do you have a gearbox protection? Where are your fixing point for the engine protection?
I am doing a light resto of a Historic 931. It is not classed for special stages, only for historic endurance events and has run the Rally Monte Carlo Historique 4 times. It has an engine protection plate, but I am moving the fixing Points. I dont have a gearbox protection but some of the cars that run special stages do.

My car:
Out front I built a tube frame with 5/16" aluminum plate between the tubeing. I mounted it behind the front bumper after I plated it for strength. I also built drop mountains where the sway bar mounts and ran it back to the rear swing arm bushing mount. In the back I built custom brackets and welded them to the torsion tube and ran back behind the bumper to cover the gearbox. I have pics someplace but it has been 5+ years since I have done any of that.
Old 02-12-2018, 01:34 AM
pinncushion
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Noahs944

Funny enough the rear suspension has been the biggest downfall to the car! Tgis is going to be very cheap info that has cost me thousands to figure out. Indexed 29mm torsion bars to give the most ground clearance I could get backed with Fox 2.5" remote resevour shocks with 8" of travel. I cut the floor at the very top of the back seat and built mountains that allow the shock to come inside by about 3" and hydraulic bump stops. I dont have pics of mine but Dave Clark Motorsports is currently building a 944 with an Audi 5 cylinder and has built almost the same set up. After that you just need to keep it cool.. Race radiator, high CFM fans, vents out front and exit holes in the hood...
Old 02-12-2018, 11:28 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Way to dig up a 10 year old discussion-

Most of these points were discussed before you ever thought of rallying your 944 series car. I stand by my earlier statements based on my past experience - if I were ever to decide again to throw money down the black hole that is divisional/pro stage rallying, I would not use a 944. But to each his own. Good on ya! Car looks great.
Old 02-12-2018, 11:44 AM
pinncushion
8th Gear

Originally Posted by tifosiman
Way to dig up a 10 year old discussion-

Most of these points were discussed before you ever thought of rallying your 944 series car. I stand by my earlier statements based on my past experience - if I were ever to decide again to throw money down the black hole that is divisional/pro stage rallying, I would not use a 944. But to each his own. Good on ya! Car looks great.
Lol, just for the record this car was built in 1998 as a rally car... It just took a while to find me.. 😂😂😂. Its a lot of fun, thanks.

Quick Reply: 944 off-road rallying?