Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Almost done!!! A few questions...

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008 | 03:46 PM
82-T/A
Racer

Default Almost done!!! A few questions...

Hey guys,

Man, the Porsche runs awesome. I've come a LONG way with this 1984 2.5 944. I always like to post my before and after pics, so go to www.PontiacPerformance.net and go to current cars, and then look at the 1984 Porsche 944. It's really really come a long way!

Like I stated in an earlier post, everything is great! I can literally get in the car, turn the key, and after 2.5 seconds, the car fires to live and idles smoothly.

There are a few little issues that I'd like to resolve in bringing this car back to perfect condition.

1 - The engine idles at 1,200 rpms. I don't see any vacuum leaks anywhere that I can see (or hear). I know this is usually the culprit, any ideas? Is this something I can adjust? It was 39 degrees outside (if that makes a difference)

2 - The gas gauge is "jumpy" when the car is first started. It seems to jump around by an 1/8th mark (either way) for a minute, or until the car warms up.

3 - I now have heat, but I can't seem to get the vents to blow through the center and side dash vents? I'm a bit confused exactly how this system works, so forgive me if it sounds dumb. I realize there is a fan in the cowl area, and that there is a fan under the passenger side dash area. The top **** says A/C and there is substantial air blowing from it (I believe this comes from the fan in the passenger foot well). The smaller **** appears to be ONLY a vent fan, and I believe it controls the fan in the cowl area. I'm getting heat through the defroster (which I've determined is set by moving the two arms to the center), but I'm not getting any air to the center or side vents. This appears to be a vacuum controlled system, where is this lead and could there be something wrong with it? Perhaps this is also why I'm idling at 1,200? heh...

4 - The windshield wipers appear to be delay wipers, but there is also a problem. It sometimes stops at the bottom, but other times the wipers will halt directly in the middle of the wind shield. What could be causing this? Is this a failed windshield wiper module?

5 - The cruise control doesn't appear to work. There is a plug directly in front of the battery. I ASSUME this has to do with the cruise control. When I bought the car, this harness was unplugged. When I plug it back in, I hear a whirring noise from somewhere and it creates a battery drain. Could this be due to a failed relay?

6 - Engine Vibration, the motor seems to be quite smooth when it's idling, but when I shut off the car and it slowly winds down, I feel some motor vibration. When the engine is idling at 1,200 rpms, the steering wheel also has some slight vibration to it (though not significant) I'm suspect of the motor mounts, but before I go and purchase new motor mounts, I figured I'd ask if this was typical of this car or if I should be totally isolated from the vibrations.

Thanks guys!!!
Old 01-03-2008 | 04:36 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 82-T/A
1 - The engine idles at 1,200 rpms. I don't see any vacuum leaks anywhere that I can see (or hear). I know this is usually the culprit, any ideas? Is this something I can adjust? It was 39 degrees outside (if that makes a difference)
There's an idle adjustment screw on the throttle body. Depending which way you turn it it raises or lowers the idle speed.

2 - The gas gauge is "jumpy" when the car is first started. It seems to jump around by an 1/8th mark (either way) for a minute, or until the car warms up.
My car does this as well, you may have a worn fuel sender or just dirty grounds.

3 - I now have heat, but I can't seem to get the vents to blow through the center and side dash vents? I'm a bit confused exactly how this system works, so forgive me if it sounds dumb. I realize there is a fan in the cowl area, and that there is a fan under the passenger side dash area. The top **** says A/C and there is substantial air blowing from it (I believe this comes from the fan in the passenger foot well). The smaller **** appears to be ONLY a vent fan, and I believe it controls the fan in the cowl area. I'm getting heat through the defroster (which I've determined is set by moving the two arms to the center), but I'm not getting any air to the center or side vents. This appears to be a vacuum controlled system, where is this lead and could there be something wrong with it? Perhaps this is also why I'm idling at 1,200? heh...
Your ducting might just be beat up. To defrost you close the center vents by moving the slider on the vents upwards. The two small arms above the temperature arm are for the footwell vents.

4 - The windshield wipers appear to be delay wipers, but there is also a problem. It sometimes stops at the bottom, but other times the wipers will halt directly in the middle of the wind shield. What could be causing this? Is this a failed windshield wiper module?
Mine does this too, no idea.

5 - The cruise control doesn't appear to work. There is a plug directly in front of the battery. I ASSUME this has to do with the cruise control. When I bought the car, this harness was unplugged. When I plug it back in, I hear a whirring noise from somewhere and it creates a battery drain. Could this be due to a failed relay?
Mine did that too, so I pulled the whole system.

6 - Engine Vibration, the motor seems to be quite smooth when it's idling, but when I shut off the car and it slowly winds down, I feel some motor vibration. When the engine is idling at 1,200 rpms, the steering wheel also has some slight vibration to it (though not significant) I'm suspect of the motor mounts, but before I go and purchase new motor mounts, I figured I'd ask if this was typical of this car or if I should be totally isolated from the vibrations.
My torquetube bearings are pretty much shot, and they vibrate and make noise all the time. Next time you shut the car off hold the clutch down and see if it still vibrates. If it doesn't then it's your tube.
Old 01-03-2008 | 09:20 PM
82-T/A
Racer

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
Thanks! That adjustment screw allowed me to lower it to 1,000 rpms. It had more vibration at first, but once it warmed up fully, it smoothed out.

By the way, can you guys also help me figure out what these things are:

First one, I'm thinking this is some sort of, well... I forget. But I seem to remember that my 76 Camaro had one. It did something with the voltage going to the ignition so it didn't blow out the points? Is this similar to that? (minus the part about the points).

What is the purpose of this? Mine clearly is cracked, although it still appears to be making a connection, can I just JB Weld this, or should I replace the entire thing?

And then this thing, I'm not sure what this is either, I assume maybe it's an oil pressure sending unit. The wires appear to be unshielded, just curious...

Thanks...
Old 01-03-2008 | 09:28 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Yea, the car for whatever reason has a really bad vibration in the 900-1000RPM range. Anything below or above that its pretty much ok.

Where is the first picture located? That would help figure out what it is.

The second picture, if the white cylinder on the right is your oil filter then that is your oil pressure sender. Might as well clean it off.
Old 01-03-2008 | 09:32 PM
CarbonRevo
Drifting

1st picture appears to be the firewall behind the reference sensors.
Old 01-04-2008 | 07:57 AM
84-944
Instructor

First picture is the "thingy", the wire I believe goes to the O2 sensor and you want to make sure it doesn't break or the computer will not deliver correct air/fuel mixture. (I'm only pretty sure about this) But I've experienced a few of these broken myself.

B.
Old 01-04-2008 | 12:10 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Try to follow the wire and shine a light down between the bellhousing and the passenger=side firewall. The O2 sensor is on the exhaust pipe after the 2-1 junction. See if that's where the wire goes, if it does you should fix that wire as soon as possible.
Old 01-04-2008 | 12:15 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

The first one is the 02 sensor connection.
Old 01-04-2008 | 02:11 PM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

The first is the 02 seonsor, and the plug side (on your car) is what's broken. That sucks....I'd try to find one and replace it.

The second is, as you guessed, the oil pressure sender. Mine looks just like that...no shielding, nothing over the electrical terminals. Don't know if there is supposed to be something there or not, but it seems to be just fine on mine.
Old 01-04-2008 | 02:43 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

+1^ But there should be some rubber covers over those oil pressure connections, same type as fitted to your fuel pump connections.
Old 01-04-2008 | 02:49 PM
82-T/A
Racer

Thanks guys...

what do you think about my problems with regard to the cruise control and the windshield wipers?

Thanks!
Old 01-04-2008 | 03:04 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

I deleted my cruise system, didn't use it, so can't comment.

As for the wipers I would remove the whole assembly, check the linkages, clean it and regrease all the moving parts. The motors rarely go bad, though it looks like you could strip it down and check the bearings and armature brushes, these are the only parts that would wear. New motors run about $230, bushings and bearings about $30 + a bit of work. All relatively easy to do, no special tools etc, but you will have to remove the fan assembly behind the firewall to get the wiper assembly out.
Old 01-04-2008 | 03:24 PM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by gina.kane
+1^ But there should be some rubber covers over those oil pressure connections, same type as fitted to your fuel pump connections.
I figured as much. Most "optional" type things (belly pan, blower motor cover, etc, etc) weren't on my car when I got it.......now when I see something like that I just assume it's missing pieces
Old 01-04-2008 | 03:30 PM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 82-T/A
what do you think about my problems with regard to the cruise control and the windshield wipers?

Cruise control: http://www.rennbay.com/kbase/index.p...=article&id=14

Wipers: just get a used assembly. Mine started squealing (bad bearings) and it was nearly impossible to get the motor off of the assembly. The guy I bought a used motor from had the same problem, and just shipped me the whole assembly. Well under $100. Of course I cracked my windshield being stupid in the process, but that's a different story.

Chances are good the thing that supposed to sense the wiper arm position is broken/moving/hanging by a thread. Just chuck it and get a whole new one. And since you have to take the blower motor out, get some strip caulk ready and re-seal it when you put it back on.....most of them need this by now anyway.

Quick Reply: Almost done!!! A few questions...