Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do I remove the steering lock assembly from my 84 944 ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 03:20 AM
originalmotorhead
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I remove the steering lock assembly from my 84 944 ?

I was reading through the NASA rules and I found where it says I have to remove the steering lock. How do you do that on an 1984 944 ? Is it something I can unbolt from behind the dash or do I need to pull the wheel and go inside.

Help !

Tom
Old 12-30-2007, 03:55 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 500 Posts

iirc its part of the ignition switch assembly. pull off the wheel and the stalks n stuff and you should be able to see it
Old 12-30-2007, 10:47 AM
MomentumGuy
Instructor

The thread below has some good information on the process. You have an early car (and I understand that the assembly is a bit different for 1987 on), so YMMV.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...l+lock+removal

Good luck!
Old 12-30-2007, 03:55 PM
Tim Comeau
Racer

Tom,
The NASA 944 spec rules don't require removal of the steering lock.
It's only a problem if you panic and turn the key too far while underway, say in a stuck throttle situation. Just turn the key back one position and you'll still be able to steer. It's nice to have the steering lock for street legal cars like our 944 spec race cars.
Anyway, Remove the wheel, remove the hub, slide the black plastic collar off the steering shaft, come up under the dash and loosen the clamp collar bolt on the left side of the steering column. There's a hole in the dash made for this.
Turn the key to "unlock" the steering lock and slide the ignition switch off the column. Take it from there......
I'd save the labor though.
Old 12-30-2007, 05:38 PM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim Comeau
Tom,
The NASA 944 spec rules don't require removal of the steering lock.
It's only a problem if you panic and turn the key too far while underway, say in a stuck throttle situation. Just turn the key back one position and you'll still be able to steer. It's nice to have the steering lock for street legal cars like our 944 spec race cars.
Anyway, Remove the wheel, remove the hub, slide the black plastic collar off the steering shaft, come up under the dash and loosen the clamp collar bolt on the left side of the steering column. There's a hole in the dash made for this.
Turn the key to "unlock" the steering lock and slide the ignition switch off the column. Take it from there......
I'd save the labor though.
This isnt a problem actually. The steering lock will not engage unless the key is removed. If you are driving the car, and accidently move the key out of the on position, the steering lock wont engage. It wont engage unless the key is taken all the way out of the ignition.
Old 12-30-2007, 10:32 PM
originalmotorhead
Burning Brakes

I was just going off the rules in the nasa rulebook, I did not go specifically to the 944 spec rules.(But it's good to know that I don't have to do the removal !)

Thanks for the info. I'll give it a shot. This is becoming a track only car so I might as well take it out or at least try to. (will at least make it easier to move the car around the garage. hehe)

tom

Quick Reply: How do I remove the steering lock assembly from my 84 944 ?