Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for a DE car

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 03:32 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 106 Likes on 79 Posts

I know Jon's car. I think he sorted it out pretty well. If you want the momo seats that are in his turbo i think he will work that out too. I dont think he loves them, but took the car with them in it.

I drove jons car while he drove my 951 (now his) and it felt real nice on the highway. he did some more stuff to the car since then though. just gotta get rid of the air freshners.

he doesnt tell people that his dad is a mechanic, he is an engineering student, and hid dad 'helped'advised' him on the bigger jobs he did, so things are "torqued" to spec, not just tightened to what feels right.
Old 12-29-2007, 04:09 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You can pick up a well sorted, fairly low mileage early 944 8V NA or 924S (87,88) if you look hard enough for that price. Get something that has had a recent clutch, timing belt/waterpump job, and has an LSD tranny. One of our local kcws members here in KC picked up an 83 with 60k original miles, sport suspension, and LSD for around 3k recently. That leaves 2k for bumping a few of the maintenance items up to par and beginning prep for cage, seats, etc. They are fun little cars, but are going to be alot slower than the GT3, though it will still be fun knowing you can really toss the car around and not be worried about throwing a lot of money in the garbage.

S or S2 would be fun as well, though you are going to spend more money to buy one (I don't think you will find a well sorted S2 for anywhere near 5k, though an S is possible), and you have the DOHC with chain and tensioner to worry about maintaining (You can go through it once and replace the tensioner, chain, j tube, etc, and probably not ever have to do it again, but it will be a pretty good sized initial bill to do so, as I recommend replacing the complete tensioner and chain and not just the pads).

Along with the S2, I don't think you will find a turbo for under 5k that won't need a lot of money dumped into it to bring it up to spec for the track.
Old 12-29-2007, 04:56 PM
chrisc
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Turbo or 968. With that many DE's in a GT3 anything less will be a little disappointing. If I do it again that's what I will do.
Old 12-29-2007, 06:14 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Buy mine. It's in reasonably good shape, is manual everything, proper AC delete, already has wide wheels and tires and isn't so nice that you would feel bad turning it into a track car.

https://rennlist.com/forums/for-sale-ads-member-to-member-fs-wtb-free/356593-for-sale-1988-924s.html
Old 12-29-2007, 06:15 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Mark, i have someone flying in from Michigan on thursday to look and from the sounds of it buy the car and drive it back. He already left a deposit as well. And also a very interested guy in Connecticut that said he will drive out and pick the car up tomorrow. The Michigan guy already left a deposit so its on 'hold' until he decides thursday. I will let you know how things turn out with him.

I gotta say coming from a GT3, its going to be sort of like culture shock getting into a 944 due to the power difference. As already mentioned they are momentum cars, and this one was setup just for that mentality and has better overall stopping ability than the average 944 due to the bigger brakes.

As mentioned an S2 or Turbo would be a better overall choice as its a 'expandable' car in terms of what you can add powerwise and suspension wise. The problem lies in you will spend far more than $5k on getting a $5k 951 or S2 you find in good shape and able to survive a day on the track. And you will probably be spending close to $9-10k+ on a car that 'out of the box' will survive on the track.

Like i said, i would be more than willing to trade you my n/a 944 and my 951 for your GT3...you can try out both and sell whichever you like more .
Old 12-29-2007, 06:18 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 662 Likes on 357 Posts

Well ok, so now I've come across a turbo that's well sorted for track and has 310 hp. Double my budget, but it sounds like that's what it's going to take to get a car that won't make me feel like I'm driving a Model T compared to what I'm used to. Thanks guys.

p.s. Jon, I'm glad you found a buyer. I wanted to buy your car not only because it was such a nicely maintained one, but also because you were so helpful in educating me about 944's in general.
Old 12-29-2007, 06:23 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Well comparing it to a Model T is sort of harsh .

But as you know im a 944 fanatic and id like the new owner to be happy with it. Which is why i really spent the time to answer your questions honestly, and not as a car salesman.
Old 12-29-2007, 08:35 PM
VaSteve
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd check out this S2. I have driven it on the track and it's solid. Or, I will see you my car 8V n/a (see the signature block) for a bit less, and *I* can buy this car. See here:
http://dorkiphus.net/porsche/showthread.php?t=16058
Old 12-29-2007, 09:17 PM
joonas
Racer

Originally Posted by Mark Dreyer
Well ok, so now I've come across a turbo that's well sorted for track and has 310 hp. Double my budget, but it sounds like that's what it's going to take to get a car that won't make me feel like I'm driving a Model T compared to what I'm used to. Thanks guys.

p.s. Jon, I'm glad you found a buyer. I wanted to buy your car not only because it was such a nicely maintained one, but also because you were so helpful in educating me about 944's in general.
They are old cars and if you drive any car hard you WILL spend money for maintenance. After a track day I always ask myself why I didn't buy the turbo.
When you drive (track days) you want to improve your car but with n/a you start inventing the wheel again when you just could buy the turbo and start from there. Get yourself as good car as possible. Brake rotors and brake lines, hoses, waterpump, engine mounts, belts, rollers and so on are maintenance parts and it is normal to change them over time but they cost money. If all those thing are allready changed you don't have to pay for them now.

Joonas
88' 944S 140kw
Old 12-29-2007, 09:59 PM
Hotshoe
Instructor

I know I might get blasted for suggesting this but if you still are looking I'd recommend finding a decent 951 roller and then doing a LS1 or LS2 V8 conversion.

Several local club guys down here have V8 race prepped 944's that they use solely for DE's and track events. You get more power than a turbo with none of the headaches, reliability issues, maintenance, expensive parts, etc.

I'd talk to Mike Gokey from German Performance for more details. I haven't checked his word, but he states one of his conversions is only one second off the fastest GT3 time at Homestead. I've been for a ride in his V8 924 and I'm inclined to believe him.
Old 12-29-2007, 11:37 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Techno Duck
Well comparing it to a Model T is sort of harsh .

Yup, you're right, that's a bit harsh. Bad on me. If you don't sell it get back with me. It's probably fast enough for my limited driving skills. I'm also looking at an E36 beemer that is a totally gutted track car for $9k.
Old 12-29-2007, 11:57 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 106 Likes on 79 Posts

FWIW i sold my 951 with about 300 hp indirectly to Jon and kept the 208hp S2. I felt i drove better with the S2 because i was on the car more. I push the S2 while i felt i was harnessing the turbo.

now when my skills reach the point that i need more than 208 hp......

i will probably be too old to use the extra hp.
Old 12-30-2007, 01:03 AM
davepnola
Racer

I have a fellow member 86 951 , good amount of mods , for 4800.00 Lukes old car !! Hit a curb on the ice , broke 2 wheels and an axle, but I have fixed the car. Let me know I am in Louisiana
Old 12-30-2007, 09:38 AM
Nader Fotouhi
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Mark,

I do not have a car to sell you (at least not in your price range), so here are some thoughts from a guy who has through converting a street car into a PCA stock class race car. It will cost you 2-3 times your $5K purchase price to make a street car into a safe and reliable DE car. I started by inistalling a full cage (Safety Devices Bilt-in) and seats and harness. That was the first $3K. If I were you, I would buy one that is already prepared and has a documented service history. Higher initial price, but less outlay in the long run.

I have seen many guys at DEs working on 944 Turbos that have been modified, or packing up and going home early due to blown engin than I have seen driving a full weekend on the track. I have a S2 and am partial to those. I do not get lapped in DEs by GT3s and cup cars and usually have cars to play with.

I have sat in the right seat of the S2 that VaSteve mentioned and if I were in the market for a 44 series car for DE, that car would be on my list.

Good luck
Old 12-30-2007, 09:58 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

I had really wanted to stay in the Porsche marque, but also am fond of Beemers and found this car for sale thanks to a PM from a fellow Rennlister. Would this make a nice DE car from the standpoint of reliability and price? Also would a car like this be as fast as a track prepped 951?

1988 BMW E30 race car The Infamous "Taxi Rapido" School bus yellow race/DE track car. Logbooked for SCCA ITA class with full cage, race suspension, sparco Evo seat. 2 sets of wheels and more. Can run NASA Spec E30, SCCA ITA or simply use as a fast fun and very economical DE/Track car. Has been a fun and very reliable race car that would be a sleeper in the SCCA Enduro series. Asking $8500 for complete package. Pictures to follow or call for details. Car is in Roswell Ga. Wife says it is time to downsize the herd.

Quick Reply: Looking for a DE car