Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tribute to the 83' n/a.. Thinking about this while hydroplaning through the rain..

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 11:40 AM
cegan09
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Loud, random squeaks and noises, poor AC, leaks? you just described my dad's Elise, and god do i love that car anyway

I'm looking forward to all the 'character' that comes with my 924S. I've owned it for 6 months, haven't been able to drive it once, and i still love it.
Old 12-20-2007, 11:45 AM
mick944
Instructor

Default Man's car?

944 not a man"s car?What that mean?My last 944 was a 83' with the manual steering (unlike the others,everything worked as it should-AC,heat,defrost/defog,power windows,ect).I actually liked the manual steering(great road feel)(required wheels to be perfectly balanced) but you had to be a "man" to turn it from a dead stop(.Actually not true,my wife used to drive it all the time).I know some cars developed the "chick car" stigma(Miatas,Fieros,to name a few) but 944 never crossed my mine in that category.Actually(I have have 968 now) that is more "chick" friendly(was the "wifes" car of the guy I bought it from).Honestly,I like seeing a woman driving a Porsche.
Old 12-20-2007, 06:42 PM
bad_monkey
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My '84 NA (with '89 2.7l engine) leaks randomly, has an interior made of decomposing plastic, never had aircon, has manual steering with wider cup alloys (which = popeye forearms or go home), and tries to assassinate me if I try anything even slightly, errr, *adventurous" in the wet... currently I'm driving her without the doorcards on while they get re-upholstered, the drivers doorhandle is broken and synchro on second gear is on the way out, oh and she tends to get a bit hot in traffic...

But on a dry day, out of town, in the twisty roads here in NZ, she flys... goes round the corners like a kart, slides predictably, the back hangs out a little on hard downshifts into tighter bends, and there's heaps and heaps of torque - it's all just RAW!

I have thought of buying a 968 so that my other half could enjoy it too... :-)

But I think I'd keep the 944 too.
Old 12-20-2007, 07:07 PM
CarbonRevo
Drifting

That is why it pays to have a cheap, very reliable, daily beater. Mine just so happens to be a toyota truck. I can always count on it from day to day, and I'm glad I don't have to daily drive my S2!

My truck is the best $1500 I have ever spent. Sure, it required $800 in work off the bat, but now it runs like a top with almost 30k miles on it since I had the HG, pan gasket, timing chain, valve cover gasket, transmission, and clutch put up. It's only problem is it sometimes is hard to start if I drive it for 5 minutes then shut it off for 5 minutes (if I so happen to park where the motor is higher then the gas tank). Other then that, I have NEVER had even a LITTLE problem with it. I highly suggest one of these trucks. No other truck on the road last as long as a 22re toyota pick up, period. Sure, they aren't all that big...but they get the job done!
Old 12-20-2007, 08:17 PM
Tony K
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nh7cy
- so loud you can barely hear yourself think

- vibrates like there's no tomorrow

- has no air conditioning

- front windows so fogged up I could barely see out of them

- no working defroster. Driving with no heater and the windows all the way down in the pouring rain just to keep the windows from getting any worse

- Gripping the manual steering with the hands of death just to keep the car on the road every time it hits a puddle

- various leaks in and around the passenger area

- mysterious rattling noises all around the car

- exhaust laden air

Helluva condition report!

Quick Reply: Tribute to the 83' n/a.. Thinking about this while hydroplaning through the rain..