Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some advice for a 944 turbo

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 11:11 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 116 Likes on 84 Posts

lets look at your logic a little.

You used the car, knew it needed some work, and put it away.

you put it away because you didnt want to put the miles on it.

now, since you dont drive it you think you want to get rid of it.

how bout this, fix what must be fixed, put it on the road, and drive it.

it is just an old car, so you might as well enjoy it instead of trying to preserve it.
Old 12-21-2007, 01:11 AM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Want an excellent mechanical condition and pretty nice cosmetics 84 n/a ?
Old 12-21-2007, 04:53 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well I'm in university also so I don't make much money working part time, so maintaining my 944 na is still really expensive and I do all the labour myself.

If you're not driving it no point in just letting it sit around in a garage, I'd sell it and buy another one once you graduate and have more money.

I use my na as a daily driver to work and school (100km drive everyday) and so far it's not blown up on me but I've done a ton of work, belts, water pump, batter, tires, tune up goes on and on.

I was thinking of getting a 951 or 928 but now I'm definately keeping my 944 until I finish school as I've spent a ton of time making it reliable.
Old 12-21-2007, 10:00 AM
951jamie
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Repair it dude!!
Old 12-21-2007, 11:14 AM
ztnedman1
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom R.
lets look at your logic a little.

You used the car, knew it needed some work, and put it away.

you put it away because you didnt want to put the miles on it.

now, since you dont drive it you think you want to get rid of it.

how bout this, fix what must be fixed, put it on the road, and drive it.

it is just an old car, so you might as well enjoy it instead of trying to preserve it.
Not trying to preserve it. I have an 02 taurus I bought for college. I go to college in a city and didnt want the car vandalized. That and all the sharp drops and crappy roads would make me nervous.
Old 12-21-2007, 11:54 AM
Reimu
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I say donate it to somebody that reeeally wants a turbo and will get it working again and take great care of it.

I'll take the burden for you.
Old 12-21-2007, 11:59 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Yummybud924
I was thinking of getting a 951 or 928 but now I'm definately keeping my 944 until I finish school as I've spent a ton of time making it reliable.
I did the same with my 83. Didn't get the S2 until 2 years after I finished grad school.

Kudos to you for doing all your own wrenching! Sometimes the 944 can nickel and dime you, but when you've done everything to it that you have, it's pretty much a "free ride" frome there on out.

Hang in there and good luck with school to both of you!
Old 12-21-2007, 12:04 PM
Stalzie
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FIX IT AND KEEP IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-21-2007, 12:46 PM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

If you don't want my N/A.. Fix it! I'm in college too and I don't think I could stand to be without my p-cars
Old 12-21-2007, 01:43 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 94 Likes on 55 Posts

I'll give $ 3500.00, I need a daily driver.
Old 12-22-2007, 10:32 AM
ztnedman1
Rennlist Member

Alright guys I have decided not to sell her for a couple of reasons. First, I was taken by surprise at how many people jumped to buy it as it sat for 3k. It made me think I was giving her away at that price. Second, I found the vaccum hose leak so now she will run! This leaves the project just to fixing the water pump. I want to keep it but I dont know if I should(dont really need the money but I could use it), but if someone offered 6k I would walk away(not probably this time, I would).

Thanks for the interest though guys.
Old 12-24-2007, 06:17 AM
one
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm right under you in Chattanooga. I had a 951T 3 yrs ago that was heavily modified. So much so that I sold it because I figured I'd kill myself in it the way I was "forced" to drive it because it ran so well.

Since then I have owned a 2002 Turbo Lexus IS300, a vette, and my current car - a Mercedes CLK430. None of these shabby cars at all, and some do things much better than the aged P-car ever did. I still find myself thinking back to my 951 almost weekly wishing I still had it around.

These cars are an addiction, and there's no way to sell them without missing them.... sooner or later.

Mine was built to be a sleeper with the only indication of mods being the staggered cup wheels and the obvious suspension changes as you looked from outside. If you happened to peek inside you could see a short shifter that barely even peeked above the console and a steering wheel changed to allow better control, but that's it. All the other goodies such as the big turbo, wastegate changes, intercooler, Koni yellows, software changes, and tons of other stuff I did were well hidden away from view.

If you sell this car, you will miss it forever. I've had 7 N/A 944's and one 951T and guess which one I remember......

Old 12-24-2007, 06:26 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I say sell it. This is only a distraction and the important thing at the moment is school. Its not an appreciating asset, especially just sitting there falling apart in storage. When you get out of school and get established with you own place and garage, go find another. Who knows, it could be another 951 or it could be a 930 or something else entirely (be certain to get this important step done before you start a family LOL!).

Now, frankly $6K is too much for it if it needs critical work like the water pump. The water pump (and everything else that goes along with that job and stuff that is WYAIT) is an expensive job for non-DIY guys, and DIY guys that could do it are going to be looking for a price reduction anyway. I agree $3K may have been too low, but if you truly would like to see it gone you should consider looking to somewhere in between those two figures. Unless you really, deep down don't want to sell. In that case, then stick with your $6K.........

Merry Christmas!
Old 12-24-2007, 01:47 PM
ztnedman1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tifosiman
Now, frankly $6K is too much for it if it needs critical work like the water pump. The water pump (and everything else that goes along with that job and stuff that is WYAIT) is an expensive job for non-DIY guys, and DIY guys that could do it are going to be looking for a price reduction anyway. I agree $3K may have been too low, but if you truly would like to see it gone you should consider looking to somewhere in between those two figures. Unless you really, deep down don't want to sell. In that case, then stick with your $6K.........

Merry Christmas!

Well like I said I am planning on keeping it but for 5-6k I would let it go. I really dont need the money and the car is not in the way, but It would be nice to have the buffer for rent and tutition. Right now im planning on taking care of her problems then sell it running with no leaks/new pump/timingbelt, etc... Im guessing the turn around will yield more profit, plus Ill gain more invaluable info about fixing cars myself.

EDIT: P.S- MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Quick Reply: Need some advice for a 944 turbo