Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie with a 83 2.5 lux supercharger project!

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 05:58 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
the 951 nose panel has a different shape than the 944 panel, the 951 panel would'nt match the fenders.

The header panel (the part with the badge on it) from a 951 WILL fit, without any problems with the fenders. Where it will have a problem is the fact that the curvature in the front of the 951 header panel is more pronounced and it will overlap the n/a bumper a bit instead of being the same profile. Also the headlight covers are different so if the n/a covers are left on the car with the turbo header panel there will be a gap on the front inside corners.

It is the turbo bumper cover that doesn't mate up with N/A fenders. Even then the fenders can be replaced with 951 fenders or trimmed slightly to match.

Spencer, we like you but PLEASE quit chiming in and answering questions that you don't have the correct answer to. I know you are very social and like to post a lot and that is OK, but you seem to post up a lot of things that you don't quite know or understand. Don't take that as a slam. Just think before you post.
Old 01-26-2008, 08:02 AM
ihatesissycars
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cheers guys, it'll look odd then, hmmmm.

I don't want to screw up the fornt enf of my car by chopping things off it unless I can put things back as tidily as poss.

What are averyones thoughts on charge coolers?
Old 01-26-2008, 08:13 AM
ihatesissycars
Track Day

Bugger, I'm thinking more and more about this now.

Opinions please,

At the moment I see two options infront of me.

1, supercharged 951 motor. This will cost the most and be the most work by a long way but will give me big hp numbers.

2, S2 motor with standalone management. Less power but a bolt in installation and will let me have the play with ecu's that I'm craving. I'd be using another megasquirt like on my last project so I am familiar with that already.

The boosted engine is turning more and more into a massive work up with money, front panel mods, complex pipework and so on whereas the s2 motor will be largely bolt in and play.

I don't want a 968 engine due to how much it costs to fix those topends should they go wrong. I know the s2 can have similar problems but cost to repair is alot lot less.

Both routes would be using megasquirt.

One will potentially give alot of power whereas the other will give a decent amount of power although the boosted one has the most potential to go worng I think!

What should I do????? (don't even think about saying "go get a 951/s2!" ok!)

I'm capable of doing both but one has alot more work involved and most potential to be a headache. I don't want loads of downtime!
Old 01-26-2008, 11:02 AM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 409 Posts

why would you need megasquirt on na engine?

the s2 engine would be a lot simpler to fit I guess, but you still have electric fitting problems since the early models have different electric layout.

I'll be doing something similar in the future.. I'll put turbo S running gear in 85.5 na
Old 01-26-2008, 12:17 PM
ihatesissycars
Track Day

An MS would give decent results on an S2 motor, losing the afm for a start plus optimal afr and ignition timing. Electrics wouldn't matter as I'd making my own engine loom.
Old 02-06-2008, 07:02 AM
JontraK
Advanced

ihatesissycars,

First off, nice looking car and I bet with the new engine setup it will be a little monster

Where abouts in the UK are you?
I am thinking about supercharging/turbocharging my S2 but dont have the tools or experience to do it myself.

Regards,
Rob

Quick Reply: Newbie with a 83 2.5 lux supercharger project!