Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can the AC adjusting strut be welded?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 11:47 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Can the AC adjusting strut be welded?

okay my AC adjusting strut, the end snapped off when my AC bolt broke off and it vibrated too much.

I found a used one and broke that too lol. It was rusty and when I went to untighten it the end snapped off.

now I have two ajusting strusts with teh end that the bolt goes through snapped off.

I'm trying to source another one but I need one asap as my belt is squeeling like crazy sounds like fireworks are going off in my engine bay.

I was wondering if this was steel and if I could just get someone to weld it back on for me?

also anyone know where I could take it to have it welded on? would a muffler shop weld it for me?

thanks.
Old 12-10-2007, 11:49 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

also if anyone in the vancouver area has one I'll buy it....... I don't want to wait for shipping though as the belt is seriously loose and it's my only car.

also new one is like 60 bucks without shipping that is kind of a rippoff.
Old 12-11-2007, 12:12 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

should be able to weld it no problem- at least until you can find another.
Old 12-11-2007, 12:15 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

so would I still have to get a new one even if it's welded?

I would think a weld would be just as strong or stronger as they are not really that strong and break pretty easily at the ends.
Old 12-11-2007, 12:24 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

well - it makes it alot harder to adjust if it only spins on one side! The thing is, if they are adjusted properly they dont usually break. The problem is most people try to adjust them w/o loosening the bolts on the compressor- or ps pump for that matter- and it stresses them - or they get rusty and they try to crank on them w/o loosening the lock nuts. I saw one where they cranked on the a/c adjustment and it snapped the ears off the compressor housing because they were tight and couldnt move. Either way i would get another one that works properly.
Old 12-11-2007, 12:56 AM
Dsalillas
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you need a quick temp. fix, I used an adjustable twin eye bolt from HD. This worked fine until my new rod arrived.
Old 12-11-2007, 07:30 AM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

You can weld it, I have been in the same situation in the past and was able to get them welded. Did you try taking your two broken ones and putting them together to make a good one, ie. taking the two good eye bolt ends and threading them into a good center section?
Old 12-11-2007, 03:05 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

good point. the thing is I couldn't get either of them loose. one of them is rusted badlyand the other one which is pretty much brand new which also broke, the porsche shop seems to have made it crazy tight when they adjusted my belts.

I need to get a new power steering strut too as when I tried to adjust it it also wouldn't come loose the nut just got chewed up.

this is why i hate taking my car to a mechanic. I've never had a problem loosening them but now they are way too tight.
Old 12-11-2007, 03:33 PM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Take them completely off the car and put the lock nut side in a vise, soak it with WD-40 or something equivalent, and then turn the stationary nut with a good wrench. If they are over tightened then its usually better to take them off because trying to loosen it on the car puts stress on the ends.
Old 12-11-2007, 03:48 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine is welded... been welded for 2 years.. just welded the head back on because thats what broke off for me... still able to adjust it.
Old 12-11-2007, 03:52 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by xsboost90
well - it makes it alot harder to adjust if it only spins on one side! The thing is, if they are adjusted properly they dont usually break. The problem is most people try to adjust them w/o loosening the bolts on the compressor- or ps pump for that matter- and it stresses them - or they get rusty and they try to crank on them w/o loosening the lock nuts. ... Either way i would get another one that works properly.

+1
I carry a spare one in my parts bin for my race car, but have never needed it in over 7 years of tracking the car. I did bust the powerstreering pump one once. Of course that problem was solved by ditching the pump.
Old 12-11-2007, 03:54 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Just remember, as long as you have a spare, you will never need it. This is why i have spares of almost everything..
Old 12-11-2007, 04:00 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Techno Duck
Just remember, as long as you have a spare, you will never need it. This is why i have spares of almost everything..
Hey I never said anything about taking it out of my spares bin!
Old 12-11-2007, 09:37 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

payed some shop 10 bucks and they welded it together, put it back together nwo and no more crazy squeeling lol.

I will need a new power steering strut though as it is all chewed up and I can't adjust it.

also right now the ac compressor is being held one by a big bolt / nut vs just a bolt as I didn't have a bolt the right size for it or it is stripped. so problem is it is not being held tight enough and with the two bolts holding the ac compressor it still moves a bit while pulling on the belt (not when teh strut is on).

so I'm worried maybe it might vibrate a bit and break the strut again.

I'm guessing the weld is going to be stronger than the original so 10 bucks wasn't bad at all vs 60 bucks for a new one.

oh and anyone know the belt tension for teh AC / althernator belt where to you measure and how much on the kricket, is it suppose to feel crazy tight?

I remember it was something like 80 pounds on the kricket, that's a really tight belt.

Quick Reply: Can the AC adjusting strut be welded?