Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding Cruise to my '88

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 04:31 PM
Shabba
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding Cruise to my '88

Despite a valiant search for answers, I am forced to pose this question to the 944 gurus present. My '88 944 was purchased without cruise control. I am looking to add it and would like to know

A: What exactly do I need? The steering wheel stalk, the brains...what else? Would I need an entire wiring harness for it?

B: How would I go about installing it in a non-cc car?

C: What should I expect to pay for these parts?

In my search, I found that many people asked the general question of "can I add it?", but all of them were asking for earlier model cars. No one actually answered in many cases and the few answers people got were vague. I was unable to find any write up or advice on how to do it... So I come to you guys with my questions!

Advice?
Old 12-10-2007, 04:40 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

from what ive seen the wiring is already there on most cars. The plug for the servo is usually hanging under the hood at least. I have a CC brain sitting here on the shelf- i have a servo as well but cant guarantee its any good- took it from a parts car. CC brain should be next to your left foot under the dash on the ds, above the hatch button. Let me know i can send you both of these very cheap since im not sure of their condition.

-oh guess you need the cable from the gas pedal to the servo as well.
Old 12-11-2007, 12:06 PM
Shabba
Racer

Originally Posted by xsboost90
from what ive seen the wiring is already there on most cars. The plug for the servo is usually hanging under the hood at least. I have a CC brain sitting here on the shelf- i have a servo as well but cant guarantee its any good- took it from a parts car. CC brain should be next to your left foot under the dash on the ds, above the hatch button. Let me know i can send you both of these very cheap since im not sure of their condition.

-oh guess you need the cable from the gas pedal to the servo as well.
Well, I have a guy who has the parts for me, but he is wanting to send the entire wiring harness as well... I'm just thinking that since these cars were built like they were, I would need nothing more than the missing pieces, such as the ones you have described (servo, brain and cable). I'm also not keen on paying triple digits for parts I could probably go to a junk yard here in Richmond and get for a few bucks.

Where is this plug under the hood? What will the hook up look like under the dash? I would like to go outside right now and check to save the trouble!
Old 12-11-2007, 01:00 PM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

This is where/how it plugs into the servo unit.

-Darwin
Old 12-11-2007, 01:05 PM
Shabba
Racer

Wow, thanks for the pic. That helps! So am I to assume that the silver unit underneath that black device you circled is the underhood cruise unit and the wire running from it over the intake to the spot right next to the oil fill is the cable that has been spoken of?
Old 12-11-2007, 01:08 PM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Yes, You are correct. The black "device" is just a connector, the silver unit is the servo, and that black cable goes over the intake, and goes thru the firewall just above where the throttle cable does. You will also need the linkage at the pedal (not sure if non CC cars have it or not) but I don't have a picture of it.

-Darwin
Old 12-11-2007, 05:31 PM
Scuba Steve
Burning Brakes

You WILL need the linkage at the pedal. I've been trying to track one down for a year now with no luck. Non-cruise control cars didn't come with it from the factory and it attaches with a c-clip.

If someone has done a cruise control delete or has a tub lying around, I'm also looking for one. I *may* have a lead on one and will find out this evening but if there's one for sale please send a PM!
Old 12-18-2007, 12:14 PM
Shabba
Racer

Originally Posted by Scuba Steve
You WILL need the linkage at the pedal. I've been trying to track one down for a year now with no luck. Non-cruise control cars didn't come with it from the factory and it attaches with a c-clip.

If someone has done a cruise control delete or has a tub lying around, I'm also looking for one. I *may* have a lead on one and will find out this evening but if there's one for sale please send a PM!
Fantastic info. Thanks Steve. I have located a guy who is dismantling an '87 and he has ALL the stuff (brain, box, pedal, cables and column arm). I'm going to get the stuff this week hopefully and I will let everyone know how it goes.
Old 12-18-2007, 01:19 PM
alex
Almost Addicted
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Scuba Steve

Steve: I probably have one from an 84, if you want it, its yours. It'll be a while before I make it out to the parts cars, though.

Quick Reply: Adding Cruise to my '88