Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oh joy, this is going to be a roller coaster of fun!

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007 | 06:03 AM
N/a 944
Racer

Unhappy Oh joy, this is going to be a roller coaster of fun!

My car sprung a leak sometime over the course of Friday to today, and each of these nights have been the coldest yet of the season... like 28-20*f at night. Well I came out to the car today to get the clicker out of it (I was taking my Moms Chevelle to get a Christma- I mean a holiday tree lol) and noticed the wet spot on the ground, I decided to take a look.
So I stuck my head under the car and guess what was on the slash plate, Coolant FTMFL!!!!!
Any tricks besides using an egg (yuck) or stop leak? I'm gettin it pressure tested tomorrow.
Pic for a click...
Old 12-03-2007 | 09:44 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

wouldn't put anything in the coolant to try and fix a leak, that'll just make a bigger mess.

put it on jackstands and find out where it's leaking from, not that hard to find.

either a hose or waterpump,
Old 12-04-2007 | 01:14 AM
N/a 944
Racer

Got it up and pulled the splash sheild off, car was fully warmed up and if anything a little hot , its either coming from the coolant temp sensor, overflow tank tube, or upper radiator hose. I hope. But there is always the good possibility that the tank separated from the core itself?
Old 12-04-2007 | 01:47 AM
yellowline
Under the Radar
Rennlist Member

There's a $2 plastic nipple in the upper driver's side (when sitting in the car facing the front) corner of the radiator. They can break, it happened on my car. Check that before buying a new radiator.
Old 12-04-2007 | 02:58 AM
N/a 944
Racer

I know or sure that it is not the nipple, (mine is blue and leak free). I see that I forgot to mention that I had it on a lift and that I simply wasn't under the car.
It is definitely coming from somewhere about mid-way up.
EDIT:I just reread your post yellow, mine was on the lower drivers side...?????? But it wasnt leaking.

Last edited by N/a 944; 12-04-2007 at 04:25 AM.
Old 12-04-2007 | 11:33 AM
Wipeout
Not Special
Rennlist Member

Thermofan switch, perhaps? That's where mine is (sill need to replace it). What year is yours? I ordered a switch for a late that I can't use.
Old 12-04-2007 | 06:28 PM
Mike C.
Drifting

Any idea if it is the original radiator? I've had them crack at the plastic header tank where the aliminum 'fingers' crimp to hold the tank ends on. Not repairable IMO. Hopefully that isn't it.
Old 12-04-2007 | 07:40 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Plastic end tank orings can and will pop a seal whenever they feel like. They are repairable with either lots of patience or a shop, again Behr makes a special crimping tool for the job.

Craftsman makes a slick coolant tester but that may be a bit pricy for the occasional check.

If it is a bad rad, just be glad it's not a 951!
Old 12-04-2007 | 07:44 PM
Wipeout
Not Special
Rennlist Member

So, here's a dumb question...what do you guys use to drain your coolant if you're doing a coolant refill/fixing one of these thermofan/leaky rad issues? I mean, you can't park it over a drain and pull the plug, sending it to the sewer...

Big-*** buckets?
Old 12-04-2007 | 09:14 PM
BADpolizei
Advanced

I developed a coolant leak last winter. only about the size of a dime every day but I had the money at the time so I did a tune up and replaced the radiator and hoses.
Old 12-05-2007 | 12:37 AM
N/a 944
Racer

Originally Posted by Wipeout
Thermofan switch, perhaps? That's where mine is (sill need to replace it). What year is yours? I ordered a switch for a late that I can't use.
Not to be dense but is the thermofan switch the coolant temperature sensor in the radiator? My car is an '86.

Originally Posted by Mike C.
Any idea if it is the original radiator? I've had them crack at the plastic header tank where the aliminum 'fingers' crimp to hold the tank ends on. Not repairable IMO. Hopefully that isn't it.
I believe it is the original radiator, but I am not sure about the tank being cracked, thats a good thought though. I will know for sure when I pull it out during my T-belt & Waterpump job.

Originally Posted by ibkevin
Plastic end tank orings can and will pop a seal whenever they feel like. They are repairable with either lots of patience or a shop, again Behr makes a special crimping tool for the job.

Craftsman makes a slick coolant tester but that may be a bit pricy for the occasional check.

If it is a bad rad, just be glad it's not a 951!
Oh no! Well I should know for sure when I get the rad pulled out.
Let me guess the 951 has several additional parts up against the radiator. I know the turbo has coolant pipes running to and from it but is there anything else in there?

Just a quick question, when I took it to the rad shop today it wasnt leaking down the back of the drivers side end tank. There was still some coolant leaking but from a slightly different spot... would an old o-ring on the side of the rad get reseated after the car is warmed up? Thus making it seem like I had the leak in a different spot?
Old 12-05-2007 | 12:38 AM
Wipeout
Not Special
Rennlist Member

Driver's side of radiator, halfway up, yeah.
Old 12-05-2007 | 12:41 AM
N/a 944
Racer

Originally Posted by BADpolizei
I developed a coolant leak last winter. only about the size of a dime every day but I had the money at the time so I did a tune up and replaced the radiator and hoses.
Does the rad come out the bottom or do you have to remove the front clip?
Old 12-06-2007 | 12:18 AM
Jay W
Addict
Rennlist Member

You wont have to remove the front clip to get the radiator out. I think it comes out the bottom.m My car is leaking in that same mystery spot. Its hard to see in that area with all the hoses and the temp switch right there.
Old 12-06-2007 | 12:27 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

there are two 10mm bolts at the top corners of the radiator that put pressure on the top of it w/ rubber washers between and hold it in. Loosen those and pull the fans out of the way and the rad. should be able to slide out the bottom-or top. Not always easy but in an n/a its much easier. 86's have the temp sender in the same spot just worked on one tonite, ds 3/4 up from the bottom.

Quick Reply: Oh joy, this is going to be a roller coaster of fun!