Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ebay FRONT ADJUSTABLE CAMBER PLATES

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 03:55 PM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 951and944S
Changing camber at the track will change toe slightly but if you're legitimately looking for a few reasons, here's a few -

The factory eccentric bolt is notorious for moving, especially if you loosen and tighten the bolt frequently as a form of adjustment at the track - if this happens and you are miles away from your alignment guy, have no camber gauge, etc., you can only make a guess at placement whereas most camber plates are gauged.

The land that the eccentric bolt uses on the strut housing is not really robust enough to be making repeated changes with the car weighted so it's best to have a reasonable spec camber set in by your alignment tech and make changes via the adjustable plate.

Some tires (Toyo Ra1-888) work best with more camber than may be available from the factory adjustment eccentric.

Track conditions, what you're ultimately looking for is even tire temperature across the tire width so if you may be tracking 500 miles from home and have a hot-pit tire temp reading that's way out of whack, adjustable camber plates offer the means to correct an uneven tire temperature condition.

Non adjustable monoballs don't offer adjustment that can come in handy if you've corded the inners of your second to last set of tires and most carry the weight of the car on a spherical design that's not necessarily intended to carry vertical load where plates like the Ground Control/Paragon have separate means designed in to carry the car's weight, aside from the monoball.

Some camber plates offer the means to lower the car.

T
Your telling me you honestly can get any sort of accuracy at a track with adjusting a camber via a camber plate?

1. Your ways to measure it are at best poor.
2. Even on an alignment machine with slip plates camber plates do not adjust easily and often require a long time to dial in much longer in my opinon then stock adjustments. I usually end up having to lift the car push pull and pry. Then sit it back down and check and repeat but somehow your going to get a favorable result on a race track without slip plates and without any way to know how much your really changing I don't think so.
3. Changing camber effects alot of things outside of just camber and moving the strut angle isn't going to have favorable results.
4. You need more then -3 degree to be fast? All of our fastest 944 racers are running less then that number. Also thats not only on the 944's but 914's and 911's as well. Its very rare that one of our faster cars will come into the shop and say "I need -3 plus camber" its usually the slow drivers that ask for more camber. I don't even try to argue it because its hopeless because they read on the internet that they need more.
Old 01-17-2008, 07:05 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Fishey
Your telling me you honestly can get any sort of accuracy at a track with adjusting a camber via a camber plate?
Erm, if you know the amount of camber represented by lines/notches on the etched plate....yes.

1. Your ways to measure it are at best poor.
Not as optimum as a digital alignment machine that can display 10ths of a degree but verifiable by tire width heat trials either way.
Anyone you know that brings bearing pivot plates and an alignment head to race tracks...., especially anyone whom this topic, related to 944s pertains to....?
I think not.

2. Even on an alignment machine with slip plates camber plates do not adjust easily and often require a long time to dial in much longer in my opinon then stock adjustments. I usually end up having to lift the car push pull and pry. Then sit it back down and check and repeat but somehow your going to get a favorable result on a race track without slip plates and without any way to know how much your really changing I don't think so.
Agreed, the weight of the car is resting on the plates and any adjustment, especially a movement towards a + camber correction is gonna have a ramp effect of the weight due to the angle of the strut tower and strut, adjustments to the - would be easier.

3. Changing camber effects alot of things outside of just camber and moving the strut angle isn't going to have favorable results.
Yes, as mentioned, it affects toe, easily corrected with something as simple as a tape measure or a string. The angle of the strut would have a slight affect on the spring's effective rate as seen at the wheel but we're talking about an amount here that's at best, negligible, read -0-.
I'd be interested in your list of "alot of things outside of just camber" if you'd find the time to enlighten me.

4. You need more then -3 degree to be fast? All of our fastest 944 racers are running less then that number. Also thats not only on the 944's but 914's and 911's as well. Its very rare that one of our faster cars will come into the shop and say "I need -3 plus camber" its usually the slow drivers that ask for more camber. I don't even try to argue it because its hopeless because they read on the internet that they need more.
I know tons of people running up to -3deg camber.
As far as 944s go, one won the Octoberfast enduro in '06 at Daytona, the other won the sprint. Maybe your fast 944 buddies weren't there....?

Lastly, you might want to contact Toyo USA before you delve into your next alignment session Fishey....because here are their recommendations for Toyo Ra1 and the newer 888 DOT race tire that most 944s use -

"Toyo Motor Sport radials will provide optimum cornering grip with camber settings between negative 3 and 6 degrees on steer axles. Where adjustment is possible, negative camber on drive axles will also improve cornering grip. Optimum camber angles will provide optimum cornering grip, and therefore will be an important contributing factor for improving lap times."

http://www.toyo.com.au/Pit%20Lane.htm

T
Old 01-17-2008, 11:36 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 354 Posts

I guess all in all I'm fuked cuz I bought the ebay plates.
Old 01-18-2008, 11:16 AM
jaje
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's something to be said by too good to be true (adju camber plates at half the price of everyone else). I know to be weary of aftermarket Porsche goods with unknown brand names on FleaBay.

After looking into most I'm going to go with the Ground Control setup. It looks to be the best value / engineering for the money. Now the decision is between the $300 GC adj setup or the $470 ones. Anyone have any recommendations - does any of them impede basic installation of a 2 point strut tower brace?
Old 01-18-2008, 12:06 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

So still waiting for this answer what is there to be gained over a solid fixed monoball?
I use camberplates (Paragon/GC flat one) on my race car. They do 3 things for me.

1) Fixed solid upper mount for smaller coil over springs
2) Rapid and accurate camber adjustments. Yes I adjusted at the track by 0.5 degree once.
3) Allows me to run -3.5 deg of negative camber. The stock adjusters only get me -2 or so. I can get all I want from camberplates.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:12 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by M758
I use camberplates (Paragon/GC flat one) on my race car. They do 3 things for me.

1) Fixed solid upper mount for smaller coil over springs
2) Rapid and accurate camber adjustments. Yes I adjusted at the track by 0.5 degree once.
3) Allows me to run -3.5 deg of negative camber. The stock adjusters only get me -2 or so. I can get all I want from camberplates.
Now wait Joe, in case you missed it.....all the "fastest 944 racers" use less than -3 deg camber.!

I'm assuming that Fishey aint your alignment guy or you're really slow...

T (wanna be "E-thug")
Old 01-18-2008, 12:18 PM
M758
Race Director

Wow... Talk about un informed!

I get great accuracty from camber plates. I use them in conjuction with a camber gauge and get exactly what I want. My gauge is old pendulm style that reads in degrees and 10 min increments (1/6th of a degree). Setting accurate camber(to 1/6ths fo a degree) with camberplates is a snap. I would not both to do it with the factory adjusters. When at home or at the track the bigger factor is making sure the ground is level.

As for the process I use a very simple one. Let say I want to add in a 0.5 degree of camber. The process goes like this

1) measure camber on both side of the car on a semi level surface. It just needs to be ok, but not perfect.
2) Record these numbers and factor in 0.5 deg more negative. That is what you want to see and many cases it will be shifted 0.5 deg if the ground is not perfectly level.
3) jack up one side of the car and put on jack stand.
4) take measurement of camber while in the air. Record.
5) Loosen 4 adjuster bolts and move in desired direction.
6) Retake measurement as in #4 and move till the desired change is noted.
7) tigthen camber plate bolts.
8) Lower car and repeat process on the other side.

Depending on how much chamber change you many want to check the tow as well.

Very simple and very effective.

Now as for not needing to -3.0 negative. That is crap. My 944 spec car runs best for speed and tire wear at -3.5 degrees. I tried -3.0 and the car had too much understeer on corner exit. I went back to -3.5 the car was much better.

I would think that 7 years of racing and 45+ class wins would teach me a little something about what works.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:24 PM
M758
Race Director

Now as for experience.

The cheap ebay Mookeeh plates were install on the 944 spec car that ran the 25hrs of Thunderhill.

We are waiting for a detailed report, but they lasted the entire 25 hr event with I no issues. In fact the car was 100% reliable and need only one set of tires and used only a few drops of oil.

See here
http://www.nasaforums.com/viewtopic....&sd=a&start=20

944 Spec at 25hr Race report
http://944spec.org/944SPEC/content/view/95/1/
Old 01-18-2008, 03:50 PM
J Silverman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jaje
Anyone have any recommendations - does any of them impede basic installation of a 2 point strut tower brace?
The more expensive GC plates mount on top of the strut tower and will prohibit you from running a strut tower brace. Personally I dont see the need for a strut tower brace in these cars and I wanted the extra shock travel so I got the $470 ones. The guy I deal with at GC said that he hasnt seen the less expensive plates around the shop for a while so you might want to call them to confirm availability. Im hoping to get them installed on sunday, Ill take some pics for you if I get around to putting them in.

Oh yeah the expensive GC plates are disounted to $430 right now.
Old 02-06-2008, 05:07 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

The guy on the NASA forum said they showed no wear after 25 hours of racing. That says a lot.

Maybe the other plates out there are over-engineered?
Old 02-06-2008, 10:11 AM
J Silverman
Burning Brakes

I dont think that over engineering is a bad thing, especially in a racing application. I like the ground control plates because they use a needle bearing to take the load off of the bearing itself, which means that you should never have to replace the spherical bearing in the plate.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:42 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

But you would have to replace the needle bearing?

Sure, in a racing environment, you'd want the best, but if something is proven to be sufficient even for racing, isn't that good enough? And what about for us street drivers? All this time that KLA mounts have been available, I never heard anyone question the engineering of the single spherical bearing. How are those different than cheap camber plates?

I've read KLA mounts are very reliable and don't wear out...
Old 02-07-2008, 02:13 AM
J Silverman
Burning Brakes

I have several friends that have been using Ground Control camber plates in race cars for 10 years, and not a single one of them has had to replace the needle bearing or spherical bearing in the plates. In fact the only problem was when my friend went off track, and hit a huge pothole. He was probably going 75 mph and the strut was pushed up with enough force to bend the plate. This camber plate was probably 3/4" thick, so you can only imagine how hard that was on the suspension.

Its not that the spherical bearing design is bad, its just not as good as the needle bearing setup. I cant tell you how long the KLA or these camber plates will last, as Ive never used them, I can only say that in the last 5 years of using ground control cadmber plates in street/track cars Ive never had a single failure, so to me its worth the money to get what in reality may only be a slightly better product, but also the peace of mind knowing that Im getting what I paid for.

Quick Reply: Ebay FRONT ADJUSTABLE CAMBER PLATES