Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

belt change

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007 | 11:33 AM
Rip It
Rennlist Member

Question belt change

Last night I changed the timing/balance belts. I had purchased the Arnnworx tool kit which worked great after I saw the instructions on how to read the dial gauge. I also had to replace the water pump with the "new style" inorder to use the tool kit. That requires removing the back belt cover and doing some creative cutting to fit around the new pump.
Bruce has designed a great tool kit and I highly recommend anyone planning to do this type job purchasing it!
I planned to replace the front seals but there was no sign of oil leakage so I left them alone. I would be interested in the method used to remove the front "doubled/back-to-back" seals with the engine in the car. If those that have done this would reply TIA.
see ya
Old 11-28-2007 | 12:28 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

I'm getting ready to do this eventually on my S2 and 951 and recently bought the Arnnworx tools. What procedure did you follow, Clarks' or the Factory Shop Manuals?

Also, how big of a mess did you make? I have to work on my cars in a city parking structure and have some limitations.
Old 11-28-2007 | 02:06 PM
Rip It
Rennlist Member

Actually I used both, but mostly Clarks'. I used ramps, covered the floor with a plastic tarp, and covered it with lots of old newspaper which I changed frequently. I also removed the radiator fan assembly, don't recall if that is necessary but it sure gives u more room. When I drained the radiator I needed two buckets to catch the dripping. I also drained the oil and the next day changed the oil filter....what a mess, have a good plastic bag close and ready!
It wasn't complicated, but I suggest u study all the paperwork that came with the tool kit prior to starting.
see ya
Old 11-28-2007 | 09:13 PM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

I did this for the first time not long ago. See https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ht=timing+belt

Feel free to ask any specifics - it's pretty well fresh in my mind.

For what it's worth, I pulled the radiator too, which probably isn't 100% necessary, but sure makes things easier, and, since the cooling system is already drained for all of this, why not? It's only a few minutes to remove/install and saves your knuckles and possibly your radiator (I didn't want to put a wrench through it or anything).
Old 11-28-2007 | 10:05 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

That's a great thread. Thanks for the write up and pics.
Old 11-28-2007 | 10:19 PM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

I've been too lazy to finish it, but I do have the pics of the rest. If you have other questions, maybe it will force me to finish
Old 11-28-2007 | 10:37 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rip It
Last night I changed the timing/balance belts. I had purchased the Arnnworx tool kit which worked great after I saw the instructions on how to read the dial gauge. I also had to replace the water pump with the "new style" inorder to use the tool kit. That requires removing the back belt cover and doing some creative cutting to fit around the new pump.
Bruce has designed a great tool kit and I highly recommend anyone planning to do this type job purchasing it!
I planned to replace the front seals but there was no sign of oil leakage so I left them alone. I would be interested in the method used to remove the front "doubled/back-to-back" seals with the engine in the car. If those that have done this would reply TIA.
see ya
Ugh, that is what i said when i was replacing my water pump. The seals look good and no leaking. Bt i have no record (on paper from the PO) that the seals were ever replaced. So, i replaced them, needless to say they were the factory seals, since the oil pump seal was black, the newer oil pump seal is brown/pink in colour. The balance shaft seals also did not have any arrows on them (like the factory), new ones did indicate the right part number and the 1mm difference between them.

NOTE: I alays ordered tools from Mr. bruce, top notch guy with top noth products, just ordered the new tensioning tool as well (92xx whatever it is called )

Yes, i pulled the radiator, gave me loads of room to install a puller to remove the front pulleys
Old 11-29-2007 | 10:51 AM
alordofchaos
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DarylJ
I did this for the first time not long ago.
Hey, it's a pic of your car that I've been using!

A coupla people have asked about updated vs older water pumps, and I had saved a good pic of your car clearly showing the water pump! Been using it to show the the new style water pump

Thanks again for a great writeup with pics!
Old 11-29-2007 | 10:54 AM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by alordofchaos
Hey, it's a pic of your car that I've been using!
At least my car is good for something

Quick Reply: belt change