Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

86 struts with turbo spindles?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 03:41 PM
Cass944
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cool, thanks again doc.

doesnt look to complicated. Im sure if i grabbed some turbo spindles and put them in my housings it would make even more sense, what i need to trim.

i have another question though for anyone. how does this affect my alignment? I dont plan on driving the car as a daily driver or anything but i still dont want it to eat my front tires every 1000 miles. will the eccentric bolt still work the same way?

will i still be able to take it to an alignment place and have them do it if the strut is modified like that?

I was also wondering about how safe it is to change something like that but if it can be done to a track car then im sure it cant be too unsafe.
Old 11-28-2007, 03:46 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I've said this many times before, and this seems to be a subject that many of us are in disagreement about.

I would not elongate the bolt hole and use shims to fit an N/A strut to a turbo spindle. You are better off sourcing 87>onward N/A or 86>onward Turbo struts that fit properly. Think about the stressors that are in that area.

I did this a long time ago on my car and found stress cracks around the area that was elongated to fit after a while of doing autocross events. I'm not saying I drive my car any harder or better than the other person that was mentioned here, but the fact is there were cracks. Maybe it was my crappy machining work, I don't know. But why risk it? I bought turbo struts, sold the N/A inserts to recoup some money, and bought the hacksaw Koni inserts for the turbo struts. No problems since. YMMV.
Old 11-28-2007, 04:30 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Cass944
cool, thanks again doc.

doesnt look to complicated. Im sure if i grabbed some turbo spindles and put them in my housings it would make even more sense, what i need to trim.

i have another question though for anyone. how does this affect my alignment? I dont plan on driving the car as a daily driver or anything but i still dont want it to eat my front tires every 1000 miles. will the eccentric bolt still work the same way?

will i still be able to take it to an alignment place and have them do it if the strut is modified like that?

I was also wondering about how safe it is to change something like that but if it can be done to a track car then im sure it cant be too unsafe.
Alignment procedure will not change.

Quick Reply: 86 struts with turbo spindles?