Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replaced your door scuff guards?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 05:00 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Thumbs up Replaced your door scuff guards?

On the 951, both of mine were cracked towards the back where they angle upwards.

This is the black PVC part that covers the seam between the bodywork and the interior carpeting, when you open the door (944.551.121.00 Left, or driver side, and 944.551.122.00 Right, or passenger side).

Mine had a few cracks ever since I got the car, but since they weren't a priority and I was afraid they'd be another hugely expensive "cabrio-only" item (cabs have reinforced door sills) I kept putting off replacing them.

Well, when I was replacing the DME recently I noticed the passenger side scuff guard had gotten worse, so I decided to get a new set from the dealer and replace both sides. As it turns out, the cabrio and the coupe have the same scuff guards, since the cabrio reinforcements are deeper down in the sills and don't affect the area where the scuff guards go. Thankfully, they were pretty inexpensive (€23 each).

Replacement was quite straightforward, with the exception that the new scuff guards need some modification with a blade or exacto knife in order to fit properly. Specifically, you need to taper the front end and round the point, as well as cut out parts of the inside for an exact fit. My application was for a cab, so the guards were a bit long and needed additional trimming at the back end. Not sure if it would be the same on a coupe. Just copy the ones that are on your car when you pull them out, and you should be set.

At any rate, the scuff guards take 5 clips each to hold them in place. I reused the clips from the old guards to fit the new ones and they sure look better now without any cracks.

So if your door scuff guards are cracked, you may consider replacing them. It's easy and inexpensive.
Old 11-21-2007, 05:08 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Cool! It's always embarrassing when you try to present your well-kept Porsche and you have to worry about stupid cracked pieces of plastic, glovebox hinges, visor clips, and these sill guards.

Quick Reply: Replaced your door scuff guards?