Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Camber plate/Upper Strut Mount question

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 04:45 PM
VaSteve
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camber plate/Upper Strut Mount question

First, anyone familiar with these camber plates?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MK1-P...spagenameZWDVW

Second, my car is street legal, mostly track car. I will be putting on 425# springs and 30 mm T-bars over the winter. I wanted to get a little more negative camber since my tires are wearing unevenly for the driving I do. Are camber plates necessary? Can I just set the suspension where it needs to be? I guess this will assume that I shread tires on the street driving, hmm?

On the free end of the spectrum. I have a set of late upper strut mounts already in my possession. If I put those on the car (over the stock set up of the early car), would I experience some benefit? I have heard they are better than the early style.

thanks
Old 11-16-2007, 04:49 PM
Spidey944
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not sure on the mount question. But i was able to get 2 degrees neg camber on the stock early suspension. Granted this is on worn springs (for now) and stock struts (for now) so you may not be able to get that far negative on your own car. IIRC 2 deg neg is ideal for track set up, if you can not get it that far, then yes, adj camber plates will be needed. Have you had it to a good align shop and seen what they can get out of it?
Old 11-16-2007, 04:54 PM
VaSteve
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by SpideySlave944
Not sure on the mount question. But i was able to get 2 degrees neg camber on the stock early suspension. Granted this is on worn springs (for now) and stock struts (for now) so you may not be able to get that far negative on your own car. IIRC 2 deg neg is ideal for track set up, if you can not get it that far, then yes, adj camber plates will be needed. Have you had it to a good align shop and seen what they can get out of it?

The did an agrresive alignment when I "built" this 2 seasons ago. I'm ready to go for more with the new springs. Maybe I should call the shop. Hmmm.
Old 11-16-2007, 05:44 PM
alex
Almost Addicted
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Those pates look like a steal compared to the anodized red ones (either weltmeister or racers edge, can't recall). If they are any good, that is.
Old 11-16-2007, 07:29 PM
968workaholic
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have seen something similar to those camber plates on a car, and wasn't too impressed with the setup. It looked like it could have been a little better designed. The Racers Edge camber plates (the red ones) work really well and I haven't heard of any complaints. The other positive of switching the upper strut mounts is that the front suspension is more responsive with the soild bearing in place.
Old 11-16-2007, 08:55 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

I'd be worried about trusting the clamping force of those small allen head bolts. Looks a bit under engineered to me, but I have't seen these in person.

Regards,
Old 11-16-2007, 09:27 PM
VaSteve
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 968workaholic
I have seen something similar to those camber plates on a car, and wasn't too impressed with the setup. It looked like it could have been a little better designed. The Racers Edge camber plates (the red ones) work really well and I haven't heard of any complaints. The other positive of switching the upper strut mounts is that the front suspension is more responsive with the soild bearing in place.
Camber plates or the (free to me) S2 style Upper Strut Mounts?
Old 11-16-2007, 09:53 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey Steve;

Those plates look OK to me. I would use larger washers, but other than that they look OK. Certainly cheap enough. Ironically, with stiffer spring you usually need less camber. Less roll, doncha know?

You should be able to get plenty of negative for what you are doing. Problem is, if you are very agressive at the tack, street driving - and tire wear - suffers.

Camber plates can indeed be a good solution for dual use cars that are driven quite assertively at the track. If you are shredding the insde of your tires on the street, you might be a candidate.

You can indeed get the best of both worlds with camber plates, IF you take the time to set the front up properly. First, you need an alignment man that is willing to work with you, and you have to be willing to pay for his time.

Start by setting the front for a good street value. That means setting the top to near minimum camber (outboard), and doing the adjusting at the bottom with the eccentrics. You also want to set the toe in very conseratively. I would use stock at 5/64 total toe in. Remember that when you add negative camber, you DECREASE toe in.

Then, add camber at the top to where you feel you want it, and also check to see the effect on toe. If you are not more than zero toe, then you are probably good. If you go past zero into toe out, you need to reset to more street toe in so your track negative camber gives you acceptable toe numbers.

Too much toe out will be really skatey on the street.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:00 PM
VaSteve
Three Wheelin'

Thanks John.

I'll let my alignment guy sort it out.
Old 11-17-2007, 02:55 PM
968workaholic
Pro

The S2 mounts still have rubber in them, so the Ebay ones would be a better choice of the two. I wasn't saying that they were bad, I just thought that the Racers Edge ones were a better design. John makes a good point about being able to change the allignment to save the tires. Any monoball upper strut mount would be better than stock.

Quick Reply: Camber plate/Upper Strut Mount question