Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trouble with alarms!

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 10:22 AM
aprotogerellis
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trouble with alarms!

Hello,

I'm having trouble with the alarm of a 944 I bought last year and its starting to feel like this will be expensive... its not necessarily a 944 question but any help will be much appreciated!

Here's the story:

- The car is fitted with a Meta System alarm. It seems like the M99/36T2 (in terms of the look of each of the components)
- I'd been using the car without issues for a year
- Recently, the battery run completelly flat
- I tried to jump start the car (I still didn't get enough juice to get it started) but the alarm started sounding
- I disconnected the flat battery but no use
- The alarm sounded for about 5 minutes
- I then had to disconnect the syren to make it stop
- I have now replaced the battery and the alarm doesn't sound (i've reconnected the syren) but the immobiliser refuses to disarm. The system light flashes and seems to completelly ignore the remote. When I turn the ignition all the lights light up as they should, the alarm light keeps on flashing as normal and the immobiliser kicks in stopping the ignition

Now, the catch is that I've only been given the two remote fobs, no extra bit...

Any idea at all on how I can get the car moving?!

Many many thanks,
Alex

I'd greatly appreciate your advice,
Alex
Old 11-10-2007, 11:20 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

OK, first things to check are fuses and relays. What year 944 is this? You should have a table in the owners manual or on the inner face of the fuse box, if it's an 85.5 and later model.

Look for blown fuses. Check the the alarm relay and report back.
Old 11-10-2007, 12:25 PM
Spidey944
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

is the car fitted with a valet switch under the dash, sometimes with the key on, you can toggle the switch from valet to normal mode and get the car moving.
Old 11-11-2007, 09:32 AM
aprotogerellis
Instructor

First of all, as always, thanks a lot for the help!

Now, the alarm is an after market one (Meta System) so there isn't an alarm relay in the fuse box. There is a fuse in the slot marked "alarm" but its not blown.

As far as valet override switches, I don't think this alarm has one - I looked everywhere and couldn't find anything... It does have a receptacle for some kind of fob, but the previous owner didn't hand anything like that over.

The thing is that the alarm seems to be nicely powered up (i.e. light blinks and syren goes crazy if i disconnect the battery).

Any ideas?
Old 11-11-2007, 11:09 AM
aprotogerellis
Instructor

Ok... I've spoken to a shop that sells these alarms...

His initial view is that jump starting the car has fried the alarm circuits. He will need to have a look at it to be certain but he says this is not uncommon...

Does this sound plausible?

Quick Reply: Trouble with alarms!