Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My car caught fire last night!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 08:34 AM
Charlie944
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What argue that ****! Dont be an ******* about it because that usually gets people defensive and provacative.

What I did. I did what you did and got a whole bunch of stuff together and told them the value of it. That didnt help much.

What you need to do is come up with a number in your head and stick by it.

In my case, I thought 6000 and I get to keep the car was fair value. So I just talked to them nicely and reminded them what fair market value is. Then you have to shoot a number higher than what you want. I said 6800. Then they will say no, let me put you on hold, blah blah blah.

Then you say "Look lets just get what is fair for the car, I dont want to waste any more of your time. I think 6000 is a really fair asking price given the condition of the car. Unfortuneatly i cant settle for lower than that or I will be at a loss'

Theyll give in. They dont want to go to court and pay lawyer fees. It will cost them more in lawyer fees and time than it would to write a check for 1-2K more than they want to give you.
Oh I plan on arguing. I spoke to my claim representative yesterday and after re-submitting the PCA evaluation paper it still came back "not changing the value of the car." I told him that I was stunned as to why the $ figures I was finding for similar S2's for sale currently was $1200 - $2000 different than what he was finding. And what data points he was basing his facts on. He had said Auto Trader, (yeah already looked there), talking to dealers about what they would ask for a selling price if they had a S2, and of course the NADA book of which he relies on as his crutch and bottom line for his evaluation for my car. Oh best part: he puts me on hold and after a couple minutes comes back on and tells me that he has found a 1988 944 w/ 96000 miles for $6400. I said an 1988?? I said Porsche did not make the S2 till m/y 1989 and that he was looking at a plain jane 944. I explained that the S2 had a different engine, different suspension, different transmission components, many improved body panels, etc. He quitely stopped trying to prove his point after that.

I told him the NADA book is all dandy but the market dictates what these cars are selling for. I cannot just have my pick of $7300 944S2's. Then he said that he had documentation stating that there were compariable examples for sale ~150mi from my house for ~$7000. I replied that I would love to see that paperwork. The rep then asked me what I thought was a fair price (as TomR stated a FMV (fair market value)) I had said $8500 given the 121,000 miles. I said I am not trying to rip anyone off, but I will not take a hosing on this car that I had just owned for 4 weeks.

I also called my insurance agent and am having him contact my claim rep, and get a copy of all the paperwork including the PCA evaluation for him to look at. My agent told me that he was fighting for 3 other individuals (BMW owners) that are getting low evaluations on thier cars as well. Luckily, my insurance agent is a car guy (BMW 840i) and knows that I will take ALL my business elsewhere.

I keep in mind that insuracnce companies are in buiness to make money, and the CCC Market Research company they have evaluate thier claims has to make them money or otherwise the insurance companies look elsewhere to someone who can. Supposidly State Farm, Allstate, and Farmers (who I have) all use this research company for all their claims.
Thank you for the TOMR link, I will compile some additional research for next time I go to bat.
And ROCK thank you for your words. I will keep on the power of words and reason on my side.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:03 AM
Charlie944
Rennlist Member

Oh here is an AutoTrader link for ANY distance search for 944's 1989+ for $7500.
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/search...=1196341545421

And one is not even a real S2!!
It is a modded 944 with a 968 engine.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:06 AM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hope it works out for you.
Old 11-30-2007, 08:26 AM
Charlie944
Rennlist Member

Heard back from my insurance agent yesterday and he is set on the $7300 price as well. By all means it could be worse, but damn nation what is an extra $1500 to settle a claim, I did not set the car on fire, I did not ask for it.
I looked on Cars. com and there was a 1990 944S2 w/ 168,000mi for $8750.
Another 1990 944S2 w/ 147,000mi for $5900.
I assigned a 10-cents per mile value for each mile +/- so which brought the car above up to $8500 when equal to mine with 122,000 miles.

There was another on Hemmings Classifieds (only on actually) w/ 130,000 miles for $8500.

Two days ago when I talked with my claim rep asked me what I thought was a fair price I told him $8500!
And there that very same figure keeps poppiing up!!!

Oh and none of these are even in the same region as where I live so I am dying to find out where all these 944S2's are for sale 150miles from my house!!
(according to my claim reps report).

As stated before they seem to hold the NADA and Kelly Blue Book as the end all holy gospel for price evaluations and damn everything else.

I am going to check out Autoloss.com for some much needed help.
http://www.appraisalgroupofamerica.com

Quick Reply: My car caught fire last night!!