Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My car caught fire last night!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 12:55 AM
CarbonRevo
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This scares me. I have an S2. My sometimes takes several cranks before it will start. When running, the idle won't stay a consistent speed - you can see the tach needle fluctuate, car drops lower then idle when you press the clutch in.

Thank god it comes off the road in less then a month...
Old 11-09-2007, 01:25 AM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

BTDT. Car caught on fire, bought it rebuilt it.

Car caught fire again. Except put it out in ~5 seconds! Wahoo!
Attached Images    
Old 11-09-2007, 02:07 AM
Buckaroo Banzi
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Where and how did the fire start?

Originally Posted by Rock
BTDT. Car caught on fire, bought it rebuilt it.

Car caught fire again. Except put it out in ~5 seconds! Wahoo!
It looks like the fire started near the fuel lines?
Did you ever find out how it started?

thanks

-BB
Old 11-09-2007, 02:11 AM
BADpolizei
Advanced

Looks like im getting a new fuel pressure regulator. Iv been having the same startup problems right now.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:02 AM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Buckaroo Banzi
It looks like the fire started near the fuel lines?
Did you ever find out how it started?

thanks

-BB

bad seal on the 3rd injector. I have a pic of the wet fire extinguisher powder stuff around the 3rd injector
Old 11-09-2007, 03:17 AM
Charlie944
Rennlist Member

Jon, Thanks for the listers name, I will have to PM him and check around here for a recharge.
I seen OG racing just sent me an email and they have Brey Krause brackets $80 for all 944 seats power and manual. They also have a fully adjustable mount for different seat brackets for race seats etc for $125.

Riff, thank you kindly man for the generous offer! I will definitely let you know. The bra you sent me got all melted, damn shame!!

Matt, thank for the offer on the wiring harness. I will see what will be needed hopefully after tomorrow. I could drive the Callaway, it is street licesned but has storage insurance right now and SAE 50W oil. It is getting down in the 30's at night here so I would have to change oil. I do acess to the 911 but it is my dad's and he is wanting to keep the miles low on it for now.
I have a 92' Ford Explorer in kind of detiorating shape thanks to my brother but it runs and likes gas! I will drive that for now.

Rock man that car loos like mine does in the engine compartment. Was the cause of fire the the same both times!

Eon, awesome!! Yeah I am a PCA member and I will definitely look into this. I totally forgot about that offer through Porsche Club. Thank you for the link!

Hopefully I will hear some good news and then get to the root cause of this!
While I am convinced fuel was involved, I am still perplexed on how the fuel ignited. The engine was up to temp, but I do not see any way for it to spark, other than if the alterator could spark and ignite the fuel. THANK GOD the fuel lines over the headers did not give way or did the flames make it over there or my car would have been ashes on the ground.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:18 AM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

No, the cause of fire the first time (when PO had it) was the fuel rail damper line.
Old 11-12-2007, 05:48 AM
Charlie944
Rennlist Member

Claim Adjuster is going to look at the car later today. Napeltons Porsche has been excellent so far and inquired whether or not I was wanting the car to be a loss or if I want it to be fixed. And they said they would do their best to ensure I get the outcome I am looking for.
I said I wanted it fixed.

I am reeeeeally curious to see what the adjuster has to say and what he declares the car as.
Regardless if it is totaled or not I want an itemized estimate detailing parts and estimated labor.
I will let you all know. Hopefully my PCA evaluation should come in the mail by Wednesday.
Old 11-12-2007, 06:11 PM
Charlie944
Rennlist Member

I heard back from the claim adjuster today after he went and viewed the car and they are declaring it totaled.

The front fascia was melted and they go for $1100 new, not sure what used or aftermarket.
The lower air dam/engine tray was melted, left headlight was melted, brake master cylinder had some discoloration, coolant reservoir was melted.

Plus the Porsche dealership charges $125/hr for labor.

I will find out in a couple days what they are willing to pay out for the car, plus I hope my PCA evaluation comes in soon. I have to email and fax some receipts on recent parts I just purchased like the RS BARN exhaust.

Riff buddy, I will see if I can get those Corbeau seats for you but I am not sure if I can or not?
Old 11-12-2007, 07:18 PM
Charlie944
Rennlist Member

Default Root Cause

According to Napeltons Porsche they said the fuel line going to the Fuel Pressure Regulator split.

Once split it sprayed fuel onto the alternator which then emitted a spark and thus ignited the fire.

So ppplllllleeeeeaaaassseeeeeeee! everyone check those fuel lines!!

I know the two main lines going over the headers are usually the culprits but in my case those looked magnifiicent and these were at fault!!
Old 11-12-2007, 08:12 PM
apierce918
Addic
Rennlist Member

one of the first things i've replaces on both of the cars i use to have, and my first 944 caught on fire when the next owner had it, not sure what the cause was, but it wasnt fuel lines (he was running it into the ground anyway)
Old 11-12-2007, 10:09 PM
Riff
Rennlist Member

Wow Charlie that is too bad. I will go check my lines tonight!

I wish I could provide some assistance for you on the valuation, but you might want to get in touch with Tom R. for that. He had a great spreadsheet of values for the S2 when his was stolen.

Are you thinking about buying back the car? If so, I know where you could get a 951 motor for a good price to put in there.

Cheers,
Old 11-12-2007, 10:26 PM
Charlie944
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the offer Riff, and the tip on Tom R's spreadsheet. I will PM him.
The decidiing factor will be what the insurance co is willing to pay out on the claim. If it equals out what I have in the car I will probably let it go. I already have on fun car and I am looking for a driver. If anyone is interested in it let me know. I can buy it back from the insurance co and then re-sell it. I will find out that money number tomorrow or Wednesday.

I will snap some pics tonight, as I have to go down and get some things out of the car.
Old 11-12-2007, 11:37 PM
Pauerman
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm sorry to hear about your car. I hope you come out on top with your insurance company.

I am parting a complete '86 951 (less front fenders), so if you're in need of parts, drop me a PM. The car is black and I've also got parts from a former 951 parts car that was white.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:28 AM
cie_lab
Billowing in the Wind
Rennlist Member

Wasn't there a recall on 944s due to the fuel rail and lines?

Quick Reply: My car caught fire last night!!