Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Convertible Buyer's Tips

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 01:39 AM
GloriaRedStang
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Convertible Buyer's Tips

I'm still searching for the right first 944. I've now got a nice 1990 944 S2 convertible I'm considering. I haven't seen it yet, but the price for the model is hard to ignore. It's a few grand below Blue Book, so although I'm more of a coupe guy, I'm still going to look at it. Frankly, if the price is too good, it's probably too good to be true and I'll bet it's a salvage title or something. This car was a trade in at a local Audi dealer, so I probably won't have access to the previous owner.

Anyway, my question has to do with the specifics of a convertible, which I've never owned. Is there anything in particular I should watch out for beside the obvious (leaks, reliability of roof motor, etc.). Are there any downsides to owning the convertible that I may not have considered (the ones I have being stiffness of frame, compromise of useful storage).

Thanks for your help.
Old 11-08-2007, 01:44 AM
Deansk8flip
Instructor

im not a convertible owner either, but ive heard that a manual top is rare but is preferable to the automatic ones.
Old 11-08-2007, 01:46 AM
GloriaRedStang
Racer

... also, how difficult is it to delete and un-delete the power top. I did a search on convertibles here and found this suggestion. I'd probably be a mostly top up guy anyway, even though I'm in Honolulu. Re-powering the top would be useful if I ever wanted to sell.
Old 11-08-2007, 01:49 AM
GloriaRedStang
Racer

... just found this post when searching "cabriolet" instead of "convertible".

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ight=Cabriolet

Just learning Porsche-speak. Danke Schoen.
Old 11-08-2007, 04:03 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

A quick tip to check whether the convertible top is original is to look for white stitching lengthwise along the top on both sides of the car, and the brand "Rhinoplast" embossed in the plastic window.

Happy hunting!
Old 11-08-2007, 12:34 PM
jsaindc
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 12 Posts

With a Cab, make sure the seals are in good condition...they can be expensive. The windshield is also hard to get and costly as it is not the same as the coupe. The only draw back to the cab is that it does not make a good DE car without serious work and tearing up the interior. They are a lot of fun and the 3.0 is awesome. Good luck!
Old 11-08-2007, 02:20 PM
nickg
Three Wheelin'

the cabs have a penchant for breaking the b pillars on the top frame, and that is VERY expensive to fix(parts nla, suoerceded to both sides and main bow, cost $2500)
the top lifting mechanisin is suspect at best, a very poor design. manual top was NOT an option in the usa, so if it is manual, it is broken.
feel for welding on the b pillars, if welded, be prepared...its gonna break again soon (it is a cast part and does not weld well)
the rear shelf under the window is often in poor shape...nla
the cars also tend to suffer refuelling issues due to the filler neck being different than a regular 944. (it was a poor design)
top seals, BIG $$$ most NLA
windows, regulaters are unique to cabs. and they fail(both window, plastic guide breaks and regulater)
don't overpay
Old 11-08-2007, 05:52 PM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

I've had mine almost six years and the car has been pretty reliable - both the top and the overall vehicle.

If there are any specific questions you'd like to ask, let me know!

Quick Reply: Convertible Buyer's Tips