Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing Motor Mounts on 944na with ??'s

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007 | 12:32 AM
gcalex
AutoX

Default Installing Motor Mounts on 944na with ??'s

Everything I've read says do only one side at a time. What all needs to be undone/disconnected in order to raise the motor slightly to install mounts. Is one side better to install first? Whats the secret to getting to the right side bolts to undo? Have all the correct tools but haven't done these before. Any help appreciated. Have read and reread Clarks Garage and the Haynes book but I know there are some other things to undo that aren't listed in either guide.Also installing half/shafts, any secret to removing the old shaft or will they just pull out when bolts undone?
Old 11-05-2007 | 09:45 AM
Scootin159
Drifting

Half shafts will just 'pull out' once they're undone...technically. You will need to move them around to get them to 'fit' out, but once you undo all the bolts (6 on each end)... there's nothing holding them in. Tip: push the inside edge up and 'forward' until the outside end clears the trailing arm... then pull it all out.

For the motor mounts: the driver's side is easy (on an N/A)... do it first so that you can see how it's done. You'll need about 18" of socket extensions, but it should not be a problem. I couldn't get my passenger side one however (just couldn't get any combination of wrench/socket/extension/etc. on it), so I had to 'wuss out' and take it to my mechanic.
Old 11-05-2007 | 10:13 AM
krahmlow
Instructor

'Not sure who's telling you to do one at a time or why. I think the reason a lot of people do the passenger side first and leave it is that the mount closest to the exhaust fails first, and these things are kind of a PITA to do. Not TOO bad, but there will be some scraped knuckles and shouted profanity, so wear gloves and close the door to the garage if you live in a family-oriented neighborhood. Personally, I didn't want to have to go back in there in six months or a year to finish the job when the second one failed, so I did both at once. If you have both mounts in hand, by all means, do 'em.

Otherwise, the Clark's procedure worked just fine for me. You'll need to fiddle with things, try this, try that, fit it, fail, remove it, measure it, refit it, etc. It's just that kind of job. Don't be in a hurry and you'll be fine. The procedure for raising the engine is on Clark's, too. Or am I misunderstanding your question?

Oh, I found that a flexible socket extension allowed me to get to the top side bolts on the passenger mount. But clearance is real tight, so maybe I got lucky with my car.
Old 11-05-2007 | 12:47 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

U-joint

Quick Reply: Installing Motor Mounts on 944na with ??'s