Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Failed NJ emissions -- high NO

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 12:54 AM
Giantviper
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

How many miles do u drive the car per year? IF the answer is not many you might be interested int he Collector car status. Then there is no emissions test. They jsut make sure Odomiter works and then give you a new sticker. Instead of a square one the Collector car has a triangle sticker. THe Critera is that your car must be Older then 15 years old and you must not drice it more then a certain numebr of miles in between each inspection. Check the NJ DMV site for the actual milage per year. My dad has his 86 Careera registered this way and he has no cat and there are no problems.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:53 AM
nickg
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you still need a cat...even with collecter plates in Nj. He just hasn't been caught. Do the e85...it will get you thru inspection.
Old 10-30-2007, 03:25 PM
cb951
Rennlist Member

Even if I do the E85 to get through inspection, could there still be a problem (other than the cat) which might damage the engine in some way, possibly from running high combustion temps? I'd like to really correct the problem (other than cat) if it exists.
Old 10-30-2007, 03:34 PM
cb951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Giantviper
How many miles do u drive the car per year? IF the answer is not many you might be interested int he Collector car status. Then there is no emissions test...
I've looked into collector plates online at NJMVC. My problem is that, in order to qualify for collector plates, the state requires that collector insurance is in effect. That would be great (I have collector insurance on my Triumph), except every collector insurance program I've seen requires that the car is garaged. I only have a one car garage and the Triumph is in it (and is going to stay in it). Another issue is that, while only used a couple thousand miles per year, my Porsche is also my daily driver. Some collector insurance has a problem with that as well.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:59 PM
cb951
Rennlist Member

Thumbs up PASSED!!!!

I just returned from re-inspection where I passed.

New test results:
NO: 1312
HC: 60
CO: 48
CO2: 14.5
O2: .03
rpm:2426

There were several factors which contributed, so I can't say for sure which one(s) did the trick.

1. Added some fuel injector cleaner (which I do occasionally anyway).
2. Filled up with some fresh 93 octane gas (which I always use).
3. Drove several times for about an hour each on the GSP at "highway speeds".
4. Changed plugs. (Old ones with only 1k miles looked textbook perfect.)
5. Changed O2 sensor.
6. Drove a couple more times for about an hour each, the last ocurring immediately before the re-test.
7. Convinced the re-inspector to use 1st gear instead of 2nd for the 14 - 16 mph dyno test. This brought rpms up from 1388 on the failed NO test to 2426 on the passed re-test.

Of all that was done, I think just driving it so that the cat was hot for the test, and testing it at the higher rpms did it.

Thanks to everyone for the input.

Last edited by cb951; 11-06-2007 at 07:05 PM. Reason: Test numbers added
Old 11-06-2007, 07:24 PM
Mike C.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great!
Old 11-06-2007, 09:21 PM
flashgordon
Instructor

Congrats on passing. The way the tester runs the car can change the test reults for sure. I had a car fail because the tester was off and on throttle during the test. I did nothing to the car, but it passed with flying colors on the retest a few weeks later. NJ inspections are a joke and mean nothing as far as vehicle safety is concerned.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:44 PM
jstand22
Pro

i just failed MA inspection because of high HC's
i replaced the fuel filter, put in injector cleaner
i always use 93 octane checked the plugs
failed again. Hydrocarbons are unburned fuel, so what should i check/do?
Old 11-07-2007, 12:13 AM
cb951
Rennlist Member

Jay,

High HC is generally a rich condition.

What mods do you have? Cat? Chip? FPR? Anyhting else? Have you passed inspection (using the same criteria) before with your current set-up? Does MA use a rolling dyno test? Generally, higher rpm tests go better.

1. Air filter (clogged air filter passes less air -- less air, richer). An over-oiled K& N is basically clogged.

2. O2 sensor (not too expensive and relatively easy to replace) or sensor wiring (check connector at back of engine compartment). Disconnected sensor causes a rich condition (I've read).

3. Timing issues related to fqs switch setting if changed from stock.

4. Try using your stock chip (if compatible with other mods).

5. Make sure your cat (if it's there) is nice and hot when you test.

6. AFM out of wack or faulty.

7. Coolant temp sensor (for DME).

8. TPS.

I think 1 - 5 are possibilities, 6 - 8 less likely.

Good luck!
Old 11-07-2007, 11:14 AM
quinnfiske
Pro

I replaced my DME coolant temp sensor and it brought down both CO and HC considerably. The old one was the original.

Congrats and thanks for posting the final results.
Old 11-25-2007, 01:03 PM
jstand22
Pro

cb951,

I always remove the chip for the emmisions test, so the car just has a Bursch exhaust with stock cat, and a drop in K&N. The ignition timing on the DME hasn't been changed, the car passed with no problems last time I had it inspected. But I'm pretty sure the cat is dead, and the O2 sesor definatly needs to be replaced. I did a full tune up in July (air,oil,fuel filters cap, rotor wires plugs, cooling flush, and a new coolant tank) but skipped the 02 sensor. So does anyone know a good high performance cat (preferable cheap) that works well on our cars?
Old 11-26-2007, 12:50 AM
cb951
Rennlist Member

Jay,

Sounds like your mods should have no effect on emissions testing. However, a bad O2 sensor and/or a bad cat would most definitely result in out-of-spec emissions.

I would (and have) just change the O2 sensor and then retest. I don't know what the state inspection requirements are for your state, whether you can do an unofficial test at your state inspection facility or private garage. In NJ I went to a private garage for inspection and after I failed and did the few things I listed in a previous post in this thread, I went back for an unofficial test. When that test passed, they retested again officially. If you can do that, then I would just do the O2 sensor (and possibly the coolant temp sensor). Many people, including my local Porsche shop, told me that I needed a new cat. I didn't.

As far as the cat, it's a pain to replace unless you have a lift. And it's expensive. There are universal high flow cats available which are fairly cheap, but it needs to be fitted into the front pipe, probably by a muffler shop. Basically, it would be a bypass pipe with the cat welded or clamped into it. A muffler shop could probably fab one up using parts of your old cat. I have a Fabspeed bypass pipe and their high flow cat. It's designed to work together so that the cat could be exchanged with a straight pipe. Really nice stuff but pretty expensive ($550 bypass pipe and $395 cat). You can probably get a used stock cat from someone on RL pretty cheap.

Quick Reply: Failed NJ emissions -- high NO