Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why do S2000's keep racing me? (or what should I replace my 951 with?)

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 04:53 PM
82-T/A
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just want to add to what I've posted. I don't want people to get the wrong impression. I know there are many people who are very passionate about their Hondas, and really all just comes down to opinions and personalities. And the truth is, my views on Honda don't really mean a damn thing to anyone else.

Technically speaking, their vehicles have been pretty sophisticated, yet at the same time, somewhat cheap. I don't really get "excited" by Hondas or Toyotas. Toyota is pretty lame right now as far as I'm concerned, but they've produced some pretty decent cars. They went out on a limb with the MR2 and were very successful. The 2nd gen Mr2 was a pretty impressive vehicle (even though the Fiero came out 1 year earlier... hahah). They also continued to improve the Toyota Supra throughout the years.

I could see that Honda WAS on the right track. The last couple of years with the Prelude was pretty impressive, and it was a pretty decent car... then they dropped it. I think they stopped making the NSX, am I right? What do they actually have right now that's exciting? The RSX is nothing more than a fancy Integra really...

I'm not agains Japanese cars, I have a lot of respect for Nissan in particular as I owned a 280Z back in the day. It was an awesome car (until I got hit on the drivers side, and then everywhere I drove it would say... "left door open..." the girl's voice would drop an octave every time she said it... hahah).

And even the Mazda Miata... when you get into one of those... you're flooded with old-world British racing heritage... they did an amazing job of capturing that "essence" of the old Triumphs, MGBs, Jensen Healeys, etc... Don't get me wrong, it's very much a girls car... hahah... but the car still has that passion.

My Solstice... although new in every respect to Pontiac's heritage... they've managed to capture what they could from the same essence that the Miata has, but also accentuate old-fashioned race-car styling cues from the 60s Targa Floria cars. (the dual humps behind the seats).

The Chrysler Crossfire... well, Chrysler has a LOOONG history of innovative vehicles. Some totally weird (like the Dodge Daytona), but all certainly have their place. Chrysler time and time again manages to put out yet another vehicle that's completely different than anything else out there. The Viper, the Prowler... I mean, when was the last time you saw a car that looked anything like the Prowler? They didn't make much money during the life of that car, but they still released it. Even their daily driver FWD vehicles, like the PT Cruiser... The Cross-fire is just yet another one of their innovations.

The S2000 on the other hand, while I'm sure it's a very fun car to drive... it gives off the impression of... "Look at me, I can do it too...". The other cars have their place, and the Honda gives the impression it needs to prove itself.

Maybe I'm just being a chick with needing to feel "moved" with a car that I buy... but as far as I'm concerned... if I have to drive somewhere and I have to be stuck in a car, I'd want it to be something that fills you with emotion. Every one of my cars (and like I said, no single car of mine is anything special or of any REAL value) are unique... have their own history, have their own experience, and have their own expression.

The VW Bus makes kids smile, and people in their 50s give me the peace sign. The Solstice makes me feel like I just got the job on the Apprentice.
The Crown Victoria totally numbs me to the outside world when I'm driving, I feel nothing... it's quiet, smooth, and the stereo is crystal clear. I usually listen to classical when I'm driving it.
The VW Beetle Convertible... well.. that's my wife's car. It definitely takes a toll on you when you drive that car. I spend so much energy trying to look manly when I have to drive a lime green convertible beetle with a flower in the vase.
The Trans Am... well... there's nothing like 600 foot pounds of torque smashing you into the back of a beige tweed 70s looking bucket seat. It's loud, it's obnoxious, the fit and finish is crap, and it's awesome.
The Pontiac Fiero... well... it was my first car, so it allows me to re-live my continued youth...

The 944... what can I say, it's a Porsche?

As you can tell, I'm totally bored at work and I'm rambling now...

Todd,
2006 Pontiac Solstice
2004 Volkswagen Beetle Convt. (Wife's)
2002 Ford Crown Victoria LX-P74
1987 Pontiac Fiero SE / V6
1984 Porsche 944
1981 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 (Olds 455)
1973 Volkswagen Type-2 Transporter
Old 10-31-2007, 05:08 PM
SpeedBump
Happily Amused
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where did that beat a dead horse icon go.

Old 10-31-2007, 07:58 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Lumbergs Lackey....MmmmKay
LOL, Crossfire is 10000000 times better looking than the S2000 IMO of course. Not to mention I have the Startech package which consists of exhaust, suspension, front and rear aero, badges and misc interior goodies. I'll post some pics and you tell me if my car looks like a skate.
No need for pics, I saw a few ladies driving crossfires around town earlier.
Old 10-31-2007, 08:11 PM
Lumbergs Lackey....MmmmKay
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 19 Posts

Well opinions are opinions but I'll post some pics for comparion of my car and an SRT-6

This.....

VS.

The Xfire runs on a modified SLK chassis and has mostly Mercedes running gear. The SRT-6 is 330hp but its under specified and actually is 349 out of the box and can easily make over 400 with little trouble.

Not to mention the interior in my car runs rings, and I mean RINGS around the plasticky S2000 garbage of an interior.

Different strokes for different folks but the S2000 to me is just a light 2 door civic with no top.

LOL sam just read your post. Only ladies you'll see are the ones in my passenger seat. Heh
Old 10-31-2007, 10:18 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Not to mention the interior in my car runs rings, and I mean RINGS around the plasticky S2000 garbage of an interior.
I guess that matters if you buy the car for the interior, dont know many S2000 owners concerned with that (ones that I have met anyways...)

I bought mine to daily drive when the weather was nice, have something the girlfriend can drive once in awhile with the top down and mainly to track/DE whenever possible so interior ameneties was the last thing I was looking for while car shopping. (Although everything about the interior is perfect for what I use the car for)

Funny thing is the lady had a Crossfire before we met and sold it off rather quickly...shocker: another girl xfire owner lol.

Is yours the SRT6?
Old 10-31-2007, 11:07 PM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 677 Likes on 284 Posts

A good friend of mine in Vegas has an 06 S2000 - I'd driven it a couple of times around the streets & wasn't too impressed. Then I took it for a couple of laps around the Spring Mountain track, where I stood corrected.

No desire to own one though.
Old 10-31-2007, 11:29 PM
82-T/A
Racer

Originally Posted by Nurburger
A good friend of mine in Vegas has an 06 S2000 - I'd driven it a couple of times around the streets & wasn't too impressed. Then I took it for a couple of laps around the Spring Mountain track, where I stood corrected.

No desire to own one though.

If I can hijack this thread for a minute...

The more and more I see Porsche 914s on eBay, the more and more I want one. The only thing holding me back is the thought that it might drive like a mid-engined version of a Volkswagen Bus. My Bus is definitely takes it's time getting around... I'm assuming the 914 is a bit speedier?

Hell, I want a 928 too... and I don't really have any desire for the brand new ones, I'm drawn to the older ones, like a 1979 or something. It kills me because they're actually affordable, which means I'm that much more likely to just go out and buy yet ANOTHER car to drain my savings and pay checks.

Todd,
2006 Pontiac Solstice
1984 Porsche 944
Old 10-31-2007, 11:52 PM
michel944
Pro

In 1977 I had a '73 914 1.7L with an Ansa exhaust.....the sound of that thing !!!! It surely is faster than your bus, it could do between 105 and 110 mph stock. The major problem, even for the ones who lived in nice wheather : they are rust magnets.....
Old 11-01-2007, 12:32 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SamGrant951
I guess that matters if you buy the car for the interior, dont know many S2000 owners concerned with that (ones that I have met anyways...)

I bought mine to daily drive when the weather was nice, have something the girlfriend can drive once in awhile with the top down and mainly to track/DE whenever possible so interior ameneties was the last thing I was looking for while car shopping. (Although everything about the interior is perfect for what I use the car for)

Funny thing is the lady had a Crossfire before we met and sold it off rather quickly...shocker: another girl xfire owner lol.

Is yours the SRT6?
No Sam mine is the white Startech. And I already stated the S2000s merits as a sports machine.

I can understand you feel slighted because you own one. No disrespect dude. I just don't like the cars. Visually they don't please me and that is a big part of any car I own. It could be faster than anything on earth but if it doesn't please me visually, or in the materials used to put it together I won't like it. Its about the whole package for me, not just the numbers. Others are different and have posted their opinions.

But before you dismiss the crossfire as a girls car because in base trim it only has 218hp, check the numbers. You'll see its not the fastest machine but it is certainly a fun car to drive and has numbers better than cars like the Boxster in areas such as skidpad and slolom. With the additions I've made I can easily stay with any car I come up against in the twistys and once I add the supercharger it will get very fun indeed. Probably about 350 at the wheels. Gotta finish the S2 first though.

Again, I'm glad you love your S2000, I am just not in love with its form or execution of materials used in things like the top and interior. Hope we can still be friends.

By the way, what color was your womans Xfire? Cabrio or hardtop? Did you drive it?
Old 11-01-2007, 12:45 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lol I wouldn't want a crossfire or s2000. I don't like japanese cars they all look like toys to me. Only japanese car I like is the 3rd generation mazda rx7...... rx8 looks like a monstrocity now.

the crossfire looks odd, just look at it, the rear end just look weird, looks like someone chopped up a sedan.

I don't even like most newer cars. Cars are all getting way too big and round. Even new 911s are getting pretty big and they look pretty boring.
Old 11-01-2007, 12:46 AM
SamGrant951
Race Director

No Sam mine is the white Startech. And I already stated the S2000s merits as a sports machine.

I can understand you feel slighted because you own one. No disrespect dude. I just don't like the cars. Visually they don't please me and that is a big part of any car I own. It could be faster than anything on earth but if it doesn't please me visually, or in the materials used to put it together I won't like it. Its about the whole package for me, not just the numbers. Others are different and have posted their opinions.

But before you dismiss the crossfire as a girls car because in base trim it only has 218hp, check the numbers. You'll see its not the fastest machine but it is certainly a fun car to drive and has numbers better than cars like the Boxster in areas such as skidpad and slolom. With the additions I've made I can easily stay with any car I come up against in the twistys and once I add the supercharger it will get very fun indeed. Probably about 350 at the wheels. Gotta finish the S2 first though.

Again, I'm glad you love your S2000, I am just not in love with its form or execution of materials used in things like the top and interior. Hope we can still be friends.
No worries dude, this thread just interests me because of my ownership - nothing more...no harm in a little back/forth discussion. Everyone has their own reasons/needs/wants for car ownership and I can respect that.

I didnt buy my S2K new, nor will I probably keep it very long in the grand scheme of things (already have another one on the brain)...but I really have grown quite fond of it for how great of a car it really is...and that didnt happen on day 1, week 1 or month 1.
Old 11-01-2007, 12:51 AM
Burning Brakes

Nice Sam

Crossfire is 99% Mercedes Benz 1%Chrysler LOL No Japanese parts.

I'm having it serviced by a Mercedes technician since its basically an SLK320.
Old 11-01-2007, 01:19 AM
Judson951
Drifting

Funny quick story about the Crossfire. I am not posting this to **** any one off. Just a funny story I was told when I worked at a dealership.

There was a dealer in New Orleans that sell Chrysler's. The dealer knew that hurricane Katrina was coming so he had his lot boys move all the Crossfires on the front lot where he thought they would get the most damage. The dealer had his fingers crossed that every Crossfire would be flooded and insurance would take care of them. The damn cars just didn't sell for ****. I think they are discontinued already. Anyways the dealer had to move all his good cars to the back lot and you can see what happened. Katrina hit and flooded the back lot. The dealer lost all the good inventory and was still stuck with the still new, been on the lot over a year Crossfires.

True story
Old 11-01-2007, 08:41 AM
82-T/A
Racer

Originally Posted by michel944
In 1977 I had a '73 914 1.7L with an Ansa exhaust.....the sound of that thing !!!! It surely is faster than your bus, it could do between 105 and 110 mph stock. The major problem, even for the ones who lived in nice wheather : they are rust magnets.....
I KNOW!!! I've seen that everywhere... it kills me. That's what's so great about our cars... they're all galvenized. They basically never rust unless you literally let it sit outside for a hundred years for all the Zinc to erode away...

I'd still like to find a 914 though... because of the rust, they're getting harder and harder to find. I've seen quite a few of them in the yard, but they were either in a major accident, or the rust was so bad that they practically folded in on themselves.

Todd,
2006 Pontiac Solstice
1984 Porsche 944
Old 11-01-2007, 08:42 AM
Burning Brakes

Yes because we all know that sales success = great car.

LOL true story

Quick Reply: Why do S2000's keep racing me? (or what should I replace my 951 with?)