Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is my clutch in trouble?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 12:59 PM
funkysi
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is my clutch in trouble?

87 944 S 44000 miles

When fully engaged the clutch is a little sticky, biting point seems quite quite high up, when I change gear I have to release the clutch very slowly or car will surge forward quite violently.

Should the clutch not last 60,000? Car did very few miles from new to 2001 around 22,000. Could rubber center have perished? I have had the car looked at by 2 shops Dan Jacobs LLC in Oxford, CT who claimed there was not a problem with the clutch by observing through the viewing window and another local porsche mechanic who claimed there could be a problem. I dont want to spend 1000s of $ needlessly. Could there be something to adjust?

Lots of questions I know but any opinions greatly appreciated.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:45 PM
Chwatson
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As far as I am aware, the clutch isn't truly adjustable. The pedal itself is somewhat adjustable, but as far as I know that only affects the engagement point and not the length of the engagement throw, or anything like that.

Your best bet in my opinion is to take it to a reputable shop and have them drive it. If it's really gone they don't even need to check it out, honestly. They just need to drive it for a few minutes to check. Is the clutch slipping a lot? I had a mechanic tell me a neat trick: cruise along at 30 mph with the car in 2nd, and then gun it. A bad or going bad clutch will slip at that point.

I just had a new clutch put in on friday; it's really not as bad as I was led to believe it was. Expensive? yes. But not necessarily a deal-breaker in terms of whether or not to keep the car. I'll let some of the smarter guys answer your question in full.
Old 10-22-2007, 09:41 PM
gtroth
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does it go "clang" when you put it in gear, or when it takes up the backlash in the transmission? Does the transmission seem to have alot of backlash? That's how mine told me the rubber center was gone.

Quick Reply: Is my clutch in trouble?