Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I found the Saratoga Sunroof guy. Any interest in NEW Saratogas?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 12:28 PM
NCporsche
Chainsaw
Rennlist Member

Received 186 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by gina.kane
These are glass right? I would like to know how difficult or practical they would be to produce in Lexan using the same fittings? lighter, safer for de track use and probably a lot cheaper.

Having just purchased a Saratoga Top from a fellow Rennlister, I can give some insight.

Some of the PCA regions do not allow Saratoga tops in a DE environment. Check with your local region before purchasing for this purpose.

My local PCA region does allow the Saratoga and the Saratoga does allow me another 1/2 or so headroom. Driving with a helmet, this 1/2" is helpful. I may attach a piece of felt to the top of my helmet in case I do hit the top.

With a black interior, the Saratoga lets in sunlight and my interior was almost too hot to sit in after being parked in the sun.

My new top whistles, where as my old top did not whistle.

If you do own a Saratoga top, you might want to print out an E-bay ad where the top sold for $1,000.00+. If the 944 does get totaled, this information may assist you in receiving additional $ from the insurance company.

I like my Saratoga top and would not resell it for less than $1,000.00. While I may get flamed for this next statement, I consider this purchase probably the only upgrade on my 944 that I may be able to recoup.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:40 PM
cie_lab
Billowing in the Wind
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Heard back from the fabricator.

Looks like this could be completely do-able. I'm guessing the'd probably go for around $500/ea. Several tints available as well as other finishes, even chrome (to go with your dubs ).

He wants me to take a trip out to their plant for a formal quote. Looks like I'll have to make a 'customer appreciation' visit
Old 10-11-2007, 01:03 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Be up front on quantities so that he has a realistic idea on what to expect. Even at $500, if he sells more than 50 over a span of a year I would be greatly suprised.
Old 10-11-2007, 01:15 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by cie_lab
Heard back from the fabricator.

Looks like this could be completely do-able. I'm guessing the'd probably go for around $500/ea. Several tints available as well as other finishes, even chrome (to go with your dubs ).

He wants me to take a trip out to their plant for a formal quote. Looks like I'll have to make a 'customer appreciation' visit
I have a good condition stock roof laying around...drop me a pm if ya want.
Old 10-11-2007, 01:32 PM
cie_lab
Billowing in the Wind
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SamGrant951
I have a good condition stock roof laying around...drop me a pm if ya want.
pm sent

Originally Posted by tifosiman
Be up front on quantities so that he has a realistic idea on what to expect. Even at $500, if he sells more than 50 over a span of a year I would be greatly suprised.
I've been working with these guys for quite some time on other stuff. Quantity won't make that much of a difference whether it's 1 or 100.

Soonest I can get out there is end of October.

In the meantime I'd like to hear some ideas about how we should think about the seal, brackets, latches, etc. Do we need to consider manual vs. automatic?
Old 10-11-2007, 02:07 PM
Calmchaos
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

MANUAL LATCHES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Or something like the original where you can bolt on either.
Old 10-11-2007, 02:12 PM
Airflite40
Official Rennlist
Borat Impersonator
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

yup I like my power sunroof thank you

dark black tinted for me...
Old 10-12-2007, 12:10 AM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KuHL 951
Not to be a prophet of doom but this same thread came up over 3 years ago and the same past owners dropped a re-issue like a hot potato.
I don't remember that?

Last edited by GOBOGIE; 10-12-2007 at 12:30 AM.
Old 10-12-2007, 12:43 AM
rickb20
Pro

Default to answer one of the original questions...what was the cost when new?

I have a copy of Beverly Hills Motoring Accessories from about 1986 and the Saratoga top was sold in that magazine. Fortunately my wife and I have been doing spring cleaning the past few days...er...fall cleaning and I just happened to have come across this. I just went and dug it out. BHMA was a high end supplier of accessories for Porsche, Mercedes, BMW, Ferrari, Jaguar and even Corvette. I can still see the spots where I drooled on this magazine before I even owned a 944.

Here's what the ad says:

SARATOGA TOP FOR PORSCHE 944
This sunroof for the Porsche 944 is made of mirrored, tempered glass and installs where your stock sunroof comes out. The added sunlight in your car gives you the feeling of being outside. Works on all year Porsche 944s including models with electric roofs. Please specify whether you have an electric or manual roof. $598.00 ($25 shipping)

It could be worse, as the Saratoga top for the 914 sold for $998 with an unspecified collect shipping amount. Even worse was the cost for a top for the Ferrari 308GTS. It sold for $1500 with an unspecified collect shipping charge.

I guess the important questions are,

1) Does this person have the original tooling, or would he have to reproduce it?
2) How much was the markup for the company that distributed this product. Obviously, the full $598 did not go directly to the manufacturer.
3) Judging by the fact that the ad requests the purchaser to specify whether they have an electric or manual roof, there must have been two versions. Would both, or only one be produced again?

I can scan the magazine and post or email to any interested parties but it will be sometime next week as I am on vacation right now.

Rick
Old 10-12-2007, 05:45 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

There were two versions for the 944 (manual and electric). I've had both.
Old 10-12-2007, 09:46 AM
89magic98
In the Sink
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Todd157k
If your guy can just make the basic panel, then he could sell it and not infringe on the patent above. Each purchaser would have to drill his own holes and mount his own hardware. As a basic panel, it would not qualify as a "roof".
A design patent filed in 1978 and granted in 1980 should be expired now.
Old 10-12-2007, 12:07 PM
cie_lab
Billowing in the Wind
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rickb20
I have a copy of Beverly Hills Motoring Accessories from about 1986 and the Saratoga top was sold in that magazine. Fortunately my wife and I have been doing spring cleaning the past few days...er...fall cleaning and I just happened to have come across this. I just went and dug it out. BHMA was a high end supplier of accessories for Porsche, Mercedes, BMW, Ferrari, Jaguar and even Corvette. I can still see the spots where I drooled on this magazine before I even owned a 944.

Here's what the ad says:

SARATOGA TOP FOR PORSCHE 944
This sunroof for the Porsche 944 is made of mirrored, tempered glass and installs where your stock sunroof comes out. The added sunlight in your car gives you the feeling of being outside. Works on all year Porsche 944s including models with electric roofs. Please specify whether you have an electric or manual roof. $598.00 ($25 shipping)

It could be worse, as the Saratoga top for the 914 sold for $998 with an unspecified collect shipping amount. Even worse was the cost for a top for the Ferrari 308GTS. It sold for $1500 with an unspecified collect shipping charge.

I guess the important questions are,

1) Does this person have the original tooling, or would he have to reproduce it?
2) How much was the markup for the company that distributed this product. Obviously, the full $598 did not go directly to the manufacturer.
3) Judging by the fact that the ad requests the purchaser to specify whether they have an electric or manual roof, there must have been two versions. Would both, or only one be produced again?

I can scan the magazine and post or email to any interested parties but it will be sometime next week as I am on vacation right now.

Rick
scan!

Kevin, your avatar freaks me out.
Old 10-12-2007, 02:03 PM
gtroth
Rennlist Member

--hard to imagine this ever getting past a product liability assessment, but if it does, I would probably find $500 for it somewhere.
Old 10-12-2007, 05:55 PM
35thSLP
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would be in for a 500.00 Saratoga... Smoke/Black electric.
Old 10-12-2007, 06:22 PM
Pcar944
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jumping in a little later (i've been away) but I would certainly buy one for $500.

Quick Reply: I found the Saratoga Sunroof guy. Any interest in NEW Saratogas?