Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My car is making oil??

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2007 | 10:29 PM
Calmchaos
Rennlist Member

Default My car is making oil??

OK, I have 2 small drip leaks so I check my oil every two days.
I go out on sunday and check it before I leave, and I am about 3/4 of a quart low. So I topped it off with some 20-50 GTX high mileage, and I check it and it's right below the full line. I drive off....

Before I go to class today, I check the oil expecting to put about 1/4 - 1/2 quarts of oil in. And the darn thing is just above the full line. I clean the stick and check it again, and sure enough it is just above the full line.
WTH!?

I always check the oil parked in the exact same spot, so it wasn't a change in incline.

The only thing I can think of is that the oil poured back from somewhere in the engine. It should have been half way between the lines and it was above where I left it.

I'm clueless really on how. Any ideas?
Old 10-09-2007 | 10:59 PM
white924s
Rennlist Member

Has the engine temperature been constant when you've been checking it? ie are you checking right after driving it? I was told that the best time to check it was after driving calmly for 10 minutes - enough time for the engine to heat up and circulate the oil, so what's in the pan is a good representation of whats in the system.
Old 10-09-2007 | 11:02 PM
FotoVeloce
Three Wheelin'

Make sure it's not water or fuel being added to your oil.
Old 10-09-2007 | 11:05 PM
Mike C.
Drifting

I prefer to check it after it has been sitting overnight so most of the oil is in the pan. If you check right after you top it off it may read less than if you let it sit a while, particularly if it's a 20W base oil in cooler temps..
Old 10-09-2007 | 11:20 PM
eman930
Banned

When oil is heated it expands, thus after driving to school, the oil heats up and your level changes. Best time to check oil is AFTER the car has been sitting overnight, Letting it collect iin the pan and cool down
Old 10-09-2007 | 11:29 PM
Calmchaos
Rennlist Member

That is when I check.
I check before I leave for the day, so it sits at least overnight.

And I should have said this isn't the first time this has happened. I just thought I was crazy the first two times.
Old 10-09-2007 | 11:55 PM
76 911s
Racer

Originally Posted by FotoVeloce
Make sure it's not water or fuel being added to your oil.
Look for a milkshake and smell the filler cap for gas.
Old 10-10-2007 | 12:06 AM
Calmchaos
Rennlist Member

Definitely no hint of milkshake.
I'll give the oil a smell. If there is gas in the oil how would it have gotten there?
Old 10-10-2007 | 12:39 AM
Kevin Baker
Drifting

Leaking fuel injector or o-ring will allow fuel to run down the cylinder wall into the oil pan. What is worse, is that if fuel is washing down the cylinder, there is less protection from the oil and increased wear on rings, cylinder wall surface.
Old 10-10-2007 | 01:16 AM
alex
Almost Addicted
Rennlist Member

I believe I have read that you are supposed to check p-car oil after it is warm and has been sitting for a few minutes (like white924s said). While you get a better idea of total oil after sitting overnight, I think you aren't getting the proper level relative to what the car needs. I didn't heed what I'd read until after checking my oil one day and it was maybe a little low, but fine. I drove to the store, came back out and started the car and the the big ! was suddenly on. Once the oil had gone through the system, the level was too low. Added a quart, and the light went off.
Old 10-10-2007 | 02:36 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

One time my van ran out of gas on the freeway. After pulling to the side of the road for a few minutes the car started up again.

We figured that we had somehow converted heat back into gasoline.
Old 10-10-2007 | 10:17 AM
alordofchaos
Rennlist Member

Could be something wonky with the anti-drainback valve in the oil filter.

If it's working right, it holds a fair amount of oil - if it didn't close for some reason, the oil will drain back into the pan and you'll suddenly have more oil in the pan.

Either that, or you turned into Jed Clampett.

...Or you should start wearing a towel around your head, and we should call you Sheikh.
Old 10-10-2007 | 12:30 PM
Calmchaos
Rennlist Member

I checked it today.
The car didn't make any new fluids in the pan, but I gave the cap a wiff and it did smell a little bit like gasoline.

Before I knew anything about this car I took it to a shop and they told me that #3 injector was leaking and they replaced it with a new one. (That was a little over 1 year ago)

I'm thinking maybe I should replace 1,2, and 4 with known good injectors? Or can something other than leaky injectors cause fuel/oil mix?
Old 10-10-2007 | 02:14 PM
FotoVeloce
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Calmchaos
I'm thinking maybe I should replace 1,2, and 4 with known good injectors? Or can something other than leaky injectors cause fuel/oil mix?
In short, yes.

If you've every had your engine oil analyzed (and it can really help you understand the health of your engine) you'll find there is alwasys some measureable amount of gas and water in the oil. There are limits to how much is acceptable.

I would recommend you draw a small amount of the oil off, and send it for analysis. You may find that you are getting fuel from a super-rich cylinder, OR if you owned a Chevy a ruptured fuel pump diaphram could be pumping it straight into your crankcase.

If you are getting that much fuel in the oil I'd STOP driving the car ASAP. The gasoline is not good for your oil and will affect (in a detrimental way I'm sure) it's ability to lubricate. If you can park the car for a few days and have the oil checked (I've used Blackstone Labs for years) you might find there is or is not a problem.

Not to be an alarmist, I've just been there, done that.
Old 10-10-2007 | 02:28 PM
Calmchaos
Rennlist Member

It's not really an overwhelming smell of gas, just a really faint hint of it.

Is there some ghetto way to check? Like taking some oil off the cap and lighting it on fire, and see if it makes 2 different colors? LOL

Quick Reply: My car is making oil??