Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing Front Control Arm Bushes

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 10:30 AM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 298 Likes on 231 Posts
Default Removing Front Control Arm Bushes

Need a bit of help here please. Did a search and looked on clarks but did not find a diffinative answer.

What is the best way to remove the front of A-arm bushes to fit the weltmeisers?

I know you have to remove the rubber and the outer steel sleeve, but how? There is no way to press them out as there is a lip that prevents this. Also tried to heat the arm but the sleeve seems to expand at a higher rate preventing removal.

Any help appreciated.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:02 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by gina.kane
Need a bit of help here please. Did a search and looked on clarks but did not find a diffinative answer.

What is the best way to remove the front of A-arm bushes to fit the weltmeisers?

I know you have to remove the rubber and the outer steel sleeve, but how? There is no way to press them out as there is a lip that prevents this. Also tried to heat the arm but the sleeve seems to expand at a higher rate preventing removal.

Any help appreciated.
I used a knife to cut/scrape most of the rubber out until I could get to the metal sleeve. Then I put the a-arm in a vise (of course with wood to protect the alu arm) and used a hacksaw to cut two lengthwise slits in the inner steel sleeve so that the sleeve becomes two pieces. The best way to to this is to remove the hacksaw blade from the saw, put the blade thru the opening so that it directly contacts the sleeve, then put it back in the saw (so that the saw now is captivated by the control arm). Hope that makes sense. Then gently saw unti you have cut thru the steel. Do this again 180 degrees opposite of that cut, then it is a piece of cake to pry the steel sleeves inward and then out. Be careful not to cut thru the steel sleeve and into the aluminum arm.
Old 10-04-2007, 12:29 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I am going to be doing this tonight to fit the Welt's in my aluminum arms. Ive done it on two other arms and very carefully used a sawz-all to cut the sleeve in half. I then literally crushed the sleeve in a vice a few different ways and worked it out with channel-locks. A hacksaw would be better, but i pride myself on surgical precision with sawz-all's (if thats even possible....)
Old 10-04-2007, 12:58 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 298 Likes on 231 Posts

Shall try the hacksaw method tonight, the rubber is all gone so I have a clear run at the sleeves. Will post pics when I'm done. thanx
Old 10-04-2007, 04:02 PM
97xray
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It was a bad day when I did that job. At least you had the foresight to ask here before getting out a torch...
Best of luck, my advice is simply to be persistent. Press the new ones on carefully, too.
Old 10-05-2007, 01:35 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Did yours look as bad as mine?? Holy crap!

They have 15k miles on them and are a little over a year old. Maybe 8 autocrosses also...

I didnt even have to cut out the sleeves! They came right out with channel-locks

Old 10-05-2007, 02:02 PM
pjburges
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had to do this on my steel A-arm caster bushings

First i tried pulling it off with my hands. Yeah right!! Then tried to knock it off with a metal chisel. No success - so I got a punch and mounted it all up in a vice and tried to drift it off. That didnt work so I lit mine on fire with a gas welder and watched the rubber burn off. That vented some of the stress away while I listened to ACDC and Angus beltin it out.

I also was spraying oil on it constantly hoping that it would seep into the insides of the bushing under the heat. Finally I ended up doing the same thing as Tifo- very carefully used a hacksaw.
Old 10-05-2007, 02:03 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Techno Duck
Did yours look as bad as mine?? Holy crap!

They have 15k miles on them and are a little over a year old. Maybe 8 autocrosses also...

I didnt even have to cut out the sleeves! They came right out with channel-locks

Stop posting up those pics. You are scaring me.
Old 10-05-2007, 02:50 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

What pictures, these?

So you dont have a bad taste left in your mouth...

Quick Reply: Removing Front Control Arm Bushes