Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 as kid's first car?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 06:19 PM
gcb951
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would never recommend it as first car. Especially if you live in a seasonal area. You really don't want your daughter driving a rear wheel drive 5spd in the ice and snow. Get a civic or a corrolla. Trouble free car. The 944 is a great car but usually not so good for daily driving. Parts aren't cheap and German engineering is great for performance but not to work on.

Btw, my first car was a 1967 MGB-GT, followed by an 87 944 n/a. Talk about lemons. Kids don't need the extra stress of fixing old junks. Even though both the above cars were really nice, they were old and always needed work. I drive a toyota now. The 951 is in the garage most of the time. My 2 cents.
Old 09-30-2007, 05:43 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by nh7cy
v2, for one we're talking about doing this in a 4000lb truck with a 3" lift and mud tires, and number two, we're talking about a first time driver doing a sharp u-turn, no swinging right then left, more like, turning the steering wheel until it locks and hitting the gas. you're free to come over and show me any time, and maybe show her what a pro you are at driving, but if you break it you buy it btw.

Old 09-30-2007, 11:01 AM
th3po1son
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm probably gonna get one as a first car lol
My dads alright with it, as long as its not a turbo.
Old 09-30-2007, 01:25 PM
S2cab
Instructor

Originally Posted by saxman
Imo, rear wheel drive sports cars and brand new drivers don't belong together. I would rather see a young driver in something slower and more reliable.
You've got a good point, except for the slower part. If you compare a 2007Corolla or Civic power-wise, it's about the same. The last two 944's I've driven weren't exactly scary. A N/A 1987 that I couldn't believe how slow it was, & a 1990 S2 cabby that had other issues that kept me from buying it. I realize that 147 HP isn't a lot today, & that's where my expectations were wrong.
If anything, a new driver usually has more trouble with watching the road & learning how to shift until it becomes second nature.
Old 09-30-2007, 03:48 PM
Shabba
Racer

Originally Posted by v8_ranch
My oldest child (daughter) turned 15 today. Aside from feeling old, and wondering where the heck time is being sucked off into, I have been thinking ahead a little. She thinks Dad’s car is cool. But she also likes 944’s. I have been thinking about helping her buy a 944 sometime in the next year before or around her 16th birthday. I thought about a 911, but too costly I think for a first car overall. I want my kids to appreciate money and what it can do for you if managed well. I also want to make sure they keep the mindset that if you take care of things, they will tend to last, and give you more bang for your buck. My dad proved this to me by making me foot the bill for all of my car expenditures as a youth. He was a streetrodder and helped with mechanical aspects, but I had to pay for things. Only took one set of tires destroyed in about 2 months of burnouts to realize tires can be really expensive! I do not want to have to dump thousands of $’s into a kids car if something does go wrong (topend, etc.). I digress…

I have driven the 944, but I do not really know a lot about them as far as dependability, etc. I can do a lot of the mechanical maintenance and upkeep on it for her. But I do not want to have to work on it every weekend either(after it is up and going - depending on what we purchase). I am going to part with my dad’s philosophy a bit and do a match to what my daughter has been saving up. She is a good girl and is very industrious. Besides babysitting money, she sells homemade gourmet tortillas and has a few loyal customers… I am thinking of something in the $3000 or less category for a first car. Then she’ll have money left over for other items that will surely come up… I also do not mind buying one to fix up a bit if needed over the course of the next year. I have been watching the market a little and there seems to be a few of the 944’s in this price range.

Sorry, I just read through the above. Hope I am not rambling too much… tired from a long week, and it’s only Wednesday.

I just wanted to know your opinions on this idea. Are they decent dependable cars if well maintained? Is there something I am not thinking about clearly?

Thanks,
Shane

Hey Shane,

I'll weigh in here and say I think a 944 would be a very nice first car. My first car was a '65 Mustang convertible. Imagine the work on that car, week in/week out... The 944 is head and shoulders above that...IF you buy a nice one to begin with, that is. It sounds to me like you are balancing a lot of things (as most of us do) while trying to make a good decision for your daughter. I think the 944 answers most, if not all, of your questions. Something you need to consider is : are you handy with cars? If so, then I would say the money issue would be answered as you can do most of the work yourself for repairs. No, it won't be as reliable as a toyota or honda, but it won't be so far off as to discount it. It's a quick car that is fun to drive, so she won't get bored yet she won't be in any more danger of speeding than she would be in said Toyota/Honda. It's gas mileage is very nice, especially when it's age is considered...I just got back from Georgia last weekend and averaged over 31 MPG for the trip.

There have been a lot of good opinions on here about the car, for it or against it. I would say you have a LOT of information here to help you decide what it is you want to do. Good luck.
Old 09-30-2007, 04:03 PM
Reiter Jr
Banned

Location: Aston Martin ALMS went airborne off the track and "flew" 142 feet before landing off the track in the dirt.

944 S first car just got it month ago keeping it street leagal but its going to be sp 3 class

Quick Reply: 944 as kid's first car?